“Out of the way gem”

Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Roscrea
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2013

challenging to find, we though we were were lost however with help from locals we found a gem of a resturant with a warmc welcome. Their five course menue for just shy of 60 euros make this one of the best value for high level dining we have experienced. It was so good we went since to confirm our views and were not disspointed. Be warned despite been in the back of beyond you will have to book in advance and may not get the night you require especially at weekends.

Date of visit: March 2013
1  Thank Retired039

Reviewed 13 December 2012

On entering the restaurant we were welcomed by a smiling, friendly face. We were immediatly brought to a very comfortable, warm and inviting seated area with a bar and crackling open fire. There was no delay in offering drinks which arrived promptly.
Upon being seated in the dining area we were welcomed with a basket of freshly made, warm bread (I counted three different types). I hate being rushed through courses but the pace of service was perfect. I could not fault the food. Personally there was too much in the five courses but my partner handled his just fine!! I had duck fois gras to start while my partner had a ceaser salad, both excellent. Soup or sorbet then followed by mains. I had the sea food selection which was all very fresh and presently nicely while my partner had the goose which was succulent and well seasoned. Lots of potato and veg which were perfectly al dente. We couldn't fit desert!
Staff were very friendly throughout even though they were clearly very busy as it was a Christmas service and the dining room was packed.

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank stephscully
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We visited Fiacri House recently having made the trek down from Dublin. After negotiating lots of winding country roads once we left the N7 motorway we arrived at this welcoming country house nestled into the Tipperary countryside. It appears to be a relatively new house built in a traditional Irish Farmhouse style that is nicely landscaped and surrounded by farmland. We were greeted on arrival by the owner Enda who showed us to a roaring open fire where we had a relaxed pre-dinner drink and had time to study the menu, this seating area is reminiscent of a typical Irish country parlour with all its charm . The dinner menu offers great choice- we opted for the Duck salad and Scallops to start followed by the Lamb and Fillet steak, both courses were fantastic and cooked to perfection! We asked the lady who served us about where the food is sourced and we loved the fact that many local suppliers are used and that the herbs and garnishes are taken from the kitchen's own garden - this was clearly the case as you could nearly taste the freshness! For deserts we opted for the Apple and Berry crumble with homemade ice cream and the cheese board, both fantastic and in particular the cheese board with lots of delicious Irish cheeses. We were intrigued to here that it is a husband and wife team who run the show here and have been in business here for over ten years, it is lovely to see a gem like this which is off the beaten track serving up really excellent Irish food in great surroundings. To be honest we were very reluctant to make the trip to Tipp but some good friends who had been a number of times persuaded us that it would be worth it and it certainly didn't disappoint! we will be making the trip again soon before Christmas with a larger group. Well Done Fiacri & Staff - we will see you soon again.

Date of visit: September 2012
3  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This fantastic restaurant was recommended to us by friends a while ago, and we only got to indulge ourselves lately...... Oh what we have missed. It's a little off the beaten track, but well signposted and once you've arrived you'll see why. We were met by a very courteous Gentleman who showed us to the bar, where we sat by a big open fire with a lovely bottle of wine. Our order was taken in this lounge area as we relaxed. From there we moved to our table where, I can only say the food was beautiful. I had a goat's cheese starter which went down a treat with the red wine, while my husband had a chicken ceasar salad. For the next course, we both had sorbet as our friends suggested, as we wouldn't be able to finish our meal if we had soup. For mains I had a duck dish and hubby had steak. Plenty of veg & potatoes here. One of the waitresses informed us that most of the veg and potatoes came from the adjacent garden. There was a great choice of deserts as well, we both had a selection plate, followed by petit fours and coffee's. The staff were more than helpful throughout the meal. The restaurant and surrounds are very well kept. Bar area is very quaint. Nothing spared here with a beautiful piano in the corner if the moment should take you!

Date of visit: August 2012
2  Thank Cathy B
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Fiacri House is a pleasant sitting with an excelent owner, however some of the staff leave a lot to be desired. When we arrivied we were met (not greeted) by a waitress who practically threw the scare menus at our party. She then returned a few minutes later demanding our orders, when I struggled to give mine saying I only just received a menu, she didn't take the hint and take someone's elses order but rather harassed saying that the kitchen required all orders now. I understand kitchens run 2 sittings but that does not exclude rudeness by employees.
When re received our starters, they were mediocre at best, salad quite greasy, duck rolls overcooked, just not wht you expect for the price. Main course were ok, again have to agree with others about the potatoes, garlic potatoes just were not pleasant.
The best dish of the night was dessert, this was faultless, meringue & roulade perfect, cheescake excellent and fluffy, tiramusu was also excellent.

Overall I was disapointed by my experience here, I belive the waitress soured our evening at the begining rushing our order, we were a large party, but staff should be able to cope. The food was good but the quality did nt match the price tag.

Date of visit: July 2012