2,111 results
All reviews minster mill the river fire pit spa treatments sloe gin the pub beautiful hotel beautiful surroundings cream tea relaxing weekend both nights breakfast and dinner lovely touch little touches two night stay superior room short break
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I think the guests checking out in front of me summed the Old Swan & Minster Mill up perfectly when asked how their stay was.. “Very disappointing”. So was ours.
Pulling up the place looks beautiful but sadly that’s where the positives end, apart from the bed was actually quite comfy.

As well as the very average service the place has been badly designed. The car park has very few parking spots and is so narrow the car scrapes along the overhanging bush if there’s already a car in the first parking spot. If you’re over about 5’11 you won’t actually be able to have a shower without bending over as the ceilings are so low.

Checking in we were told we could drive up the “pedestrian only” area to drop bags nearer our room as the car park was full but never shown to the room or offered any help. We then had to wheel the bags back the long way as the pointless stairs in between the buildings are too narrow for a person and large suitcase to fit through. First World problems I know but a reasonable expectation if you claim to be a 5-Star hotel.

The most disappointing was yet to come. We went to dinner in the pub (only place that offers food!) at about 8pm and were told we couldn’t get a table without a reservation as they were full! Their idea of full is very different to ours! We ordered a drink and met a lovely couple who were in the same predicament, staying in the hotel and hadn’t been told about dinner reservations so were on a waiting list.

It got to 9pm and the other couple were seated but we left hungry. Remember this place is in the middle of nowhere and doesn’t offer room service so we ended up ordering a delivery to eat in our room from Witney village which is a few miles away so turned up cold.

I don’t think an expectation of being able to order food is particularly exuberant when you book an apparently 5* hotel.

My wife and I were visiting from Sydney for a friends wedding nearby so my wife booked to get her nails done in the Spa. They were actually very friendly in the Spa but alas, things continued to go wrong and she ended up with bubbles all through the nail varnish so left with an apology and free treatment as they couldn’t fix it.
Credit where credit is due for the acknowledgment and I also had a good massage from a lovely lady who’s name I forget.

When it came to checking out my wife moved the car nearer as we had been told to do on checking in and we quickly received a call from a very blunt lady telling us to move it immediately, errrghh.

Anyway, the wedding was great so we left with happy memories and I doubt anyone is still reading this but given at least two other couples had a negative experience I think it’s fair to say I wouldn’t recommend it, certainly not at 5*, 3* at best..

Stayed: September 2018
HostManager, Guest Relations Manager at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear GrahamC1979

Thank very much for the detailed review of your stay with us. I will try to address your comments as best I can.

We have a large car park located behind the Old Swan with plenty of space for all of our residents as well as visitors. We also have another two smaller car parks on site, I feel you must be referring to one of these although I am not sure of where exactly it is so narrow it scrapes the bushes. I have asked our gardener to check all of the car parking spaces and cut back any foliage as needed. I am surprised that our Reception team didn't point out the many car parking options to you on our map at check in. As we are not a five star hotel but rather a five star "Inn" we do not currently have a concierge service however we should always offer help with bags, I am so sorry we didn't on this occasion, I have passed on your feedback to our Front of House Manager to review with his team.

What a shame there was a wait for a table in the restaurant, we are a popular venue and as such are regularly fully booked especially at weekends. We did try to contact you by telephone to arrange a table booking for you as we knew that we were heavily booked. We have many guests that eat elsewhere when they stay with us so whilst we will always contact our future guests to encourage table reservations there is a fine line as to how much we should make contact, we really don't want to appear overzealous.

Our Rooms Operations Manager contacted you regarding moving your car on check out, she meant no offence. Unfortunately the path is not for use by cars as it is used by pedestrians, children and dogs, it just isn't safe to be shared with vehicles. We are always happy to help our guests with luggage so there should be no reason for anyone to drive on these paths.I am baffled as to why you were advised to do this in the first place and will follow up with the team.

Thank you very much for your useful feedback it is much appreciated. I do hope we are able to welcome you back again one day for a more positive experience.

Kindest regards

Dawn

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

To celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary we took our daughter, son in law and grand daughter to the Cotswolds.
We stayed at the Old Swan & Minster Lovell Mill, which is made up of a series of picturesque old buildings typical of the Cotswolds. My husband and I had a Classic double room, not large, but nicely furnished with a comfortable bed and well appointed bathroom. Our children were in a DeLuxe Double room and they loved the vaulted ceiling with beams, being on two levels, with lots of space and superb bathroom. As they are all 6 ft tall and over, they appreciated the large bath tub and big walk in monsoon shower.
The accommodation, beautiful buildings and surrounding grounds all had the WOW factor.
The food at the Old Swan was fine, but not memorable. At dinner my son in law's Rib Eye steak was the size of a Minute Steak. Not appreciated by a South African!
At breakfast the juices came in bottles.
My last word must be for the staff at Reception who deserve our praise for being exceptionally helpful, friendly and efficient. They made us feel very welcome
We all would definitely highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: For people with a mobility issue - mention this when booking. Lots of steps.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

WE ordered our food one of our friends got wrong food but was sorted out,my wife ordered fillet steak but was given ribeye by the time it was sorted out it was to late as we had all eaten the lady was very sorry I don't think they put it down right but we wll be back

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Fantastic experience everything was perfect. Grounds are beautiful the restaurant serves great food, beds were very comfortable the rooms were very spacious and the breakfast choice was absolutely superb. Nicest staff we have ever seen in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Small room. Poor over bath shower. A lot of Underwear found in the bedside table drawer. This was supposed to be a superior room. Nothing like other 5 star rooms that I have stayed in. Food average and expensive. Starter for £10 that was so salty that neither my husband or I could eat it. When my husband complained the waiter laughed and said that he could not tell if my husband was joking. Such a shame because the area is lovely and some of the staff are very good.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
HostManager, Host at Old Swan & Minster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Corrine B

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay with us. Whilst we are delighted that you loved the local area and some of our staff it is disappointing that we didn't quite reach the mark in some areas.

We have many room types available of various sizes and features, the best way to ensure you have an enjoyable stay is to discuss your requirements with our friendly reservations team prior to arrival, they can talk you through the many options available, I am so sorry that our housekeeping team missed the underwear left in the table drawer, I have passed your comments on to them to ensure all drawers and wardrobes are thoroughly checked.

Please accept our sincere apologies for your disappointment at dinner, it is difficult to address the salt issue with your starter as I do not know when you stayed or in fact what you ordered. I have passed on your feedback to our F & B Manager to investigate.

I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations this time.I do hope you will return another time to experience our normal excellent attention to detail and warm welcome.

Best wishes