“Absolutely wonderful!”

The Black Horse at Ireland
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Shefford
Price range: US$20 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Black Horse is a family owned Inn with character and style set in a small hamlet in Bedfordshire. The Black Horse was built in the 17th Century, and although it has been updated and given a contempory style, it still holds its charm and character. With it's exposed original beams, inglenook fireplace and low ceilings, the bar is warm and welcoming - perfect for relaxing with a drink or a glass of wine. The restaurant consists of two distinct dining areas each offering their own unique style and atmosphere with either garden or courtyard outlooks. Our seasonally changed menu's use only the freshest ingredients sourced locally (where possible). The dishes are expertly prepared and presented by a team of highly qualified chef's.
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Went here for a family celebration. The food, as always, is divine and the staff at the Black Horse were so thoughtful and kind - they made the celebration even more special. Thank you so much and see you again soon.

James C, Owner at The Black Horse at Ireland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Hello Susiequeue025

Thanks for posting such a wonderful review - very much appreciated by all the staff at The Black Horse.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed 29 May 2018

similarly to some reviews for yesterday, the service was poor.

the waiting staff were scruffy and non attentive. They left our plates on the table from our starters while we were eating. They did not come and ask us if we wanted pudding or any more drinks , coffee etc. I have been coming here for years and had some guests with me. I was highly embarrassed that I had raved about the place when it is quite clearly going downhill. I have never been to the restaurant when it has been so empty either which reflects what others are experiencing. What has happened?

2  Thank Elizabeth S

Hello Elizabeth S

I can only apologise. I have spoken to the Assistant Manager, who was not working on the day you visited. After investigating with the staff on duty he agrees that your table was not cleared as promptly as it should have been which is certainly not acceptable and again I apologise on their behalf.

I will be addressing personally with the staff your comments on their dress code and being “non attentive” which again, is not the image that I wish to portray to our customers.

Can I assure you that we are not going downhill as you have stated. We had one of our busiest Bank Holiday sessions and from the numbers of meals recorded this certainly does not reflect that we were empty. We had been serving meals throughout the afternoon and whilst this does not excuse the bad service you received, it may have been a contributory factor. However, on the evening you came I have looked at the meals recorded and we were certainly not empty. You will be aware that we have two sides to our restaurant and I believe that one side was fully booked and you were probably seated in the second part of our restaurant.

If you would like to leave me a contact number at The Black Horse I would be happy to discuss this further with you.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Our first visit but with friends who are regulars and rave about this place and we can now see why. Food was excellent, I had the goats cheese cheesecake to start which was delicious and then the sausage and mash. I don’t know where they buy their bacon and black pudding sausages from but they are bloody marvellous, I’d definitely go back just for them! Burger was huge and looked great, not sure I could have managed it but was reportedly top class. Black Horse Snickers for dessert with peanut butter ice cream - very rich but very very good.

James C, Owner at The Black Horse at Ireland, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Hello Emteekay

Glad to hear that you thought our sausages marvelous - the chefs are delighted with your comments on their food.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Black Horse.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Bar staff tried hard to allow the 2 of us to have a table outside for lunch as we did have a table but no reservation for inside which was very busy. When the person in charge, who could have helped, us was found he said that no table was available inside as they were fully booked
" No problem" I said "we have a table outside"..
"Oh we don't serve food outside" he said condescendingly.
"Then we won't be eating" I replied. And we didn't. What a jobsworth !!!!! Won't be going there again.

1  Thank Lyn M

Hello Lyn M

Please accept my apologies. I have investigated your complaint with the supervisor who was on duty on the day you visited who has confirmed that he did inform you that they were not serving food outside due to the volume of customers who were currently in our restaurant. It was certainly not his intention to appear ‘condescendingly’ to you and he is hurt that you thought that of him and apologises if he gave you that impression. He was about to offer you an alternative time in the restaurant but you stormed out before he had a chance to explain further.

It was unfortunate that the bar staff gave you the impression that by finding a table outside this would give you an automatic right to order food and I quite understand your frustration and annoyance. However, at that time, the bar staff were unaware of the volume of food checks in our kitchen from customers who had reserved tables in the restaurant.

I do hope that you will afford us another chance to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

We were a party of eleven and so needed to give our menu prior to the visit. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the service was excellent. It was a Golden Wedding celebration and a lovely card was given to the couple. Very enjoyable evening.

Hi Jacky T

Your 'top class' review is very much appreciated by all the staff at The Black Horse - thank you.

All the best