Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$87
Hotels.comUS$87
eDreamsUS$87
FindHotelUS$87
PricelineUS$93
TravelocityUS$87
1,072 results
All reviews resplendent quetzal costa rica cloud forest trout bird watching the river junior suite the reserve open fire beautiful location hotel grounds species of birds birding tour lunch and dinner bird life hiking trails worth the trip
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 January 2021 via mobile

We live on the coast of Costa Rica and our house needed some major work done so I decided to find an “off the path” stay for a few nights.

San Gerado is a dream. The river, the cooler weather, the mountains, the cloud forest, the birding (which, I’ve never cared about but somehow found myself interested)...it’s all magical.

The drive from highway 2 is pretty gnarly if you’re not used to mountain driving, by the way. Narrow roads with drop-offs, intense switchbacks. Not a fan but it’s worth it.

This hotel was lovely. The grounds were amazing and the reception area, the bar/restaurant were modern, clean, and VERY serious about Covid precautions.

The staff was INCREDIBLE. Everyone was wonderful.

The rooms... I booked a “junior suite”, which was just really a regular room room. It had a fireplace which was so nice, plus a heater, which we did use!
The decor in the rooms reminds me of when I started traveling to CR almost 20 years ago. It’s rustic. It was very clean. And overall for the price, I wasn’t disappointed. But it could use some updates.

The food in the restaurant was pretty good. The breakfast was included and really nice. Their pizza was AMAZING.

The hiking trails were great and they will even drive you up to the trailhead (which I suggest because that walk is a hike in it of itself!). There’s a beautiful lookout bridge at the trailhead with bathrooms and water.

WiFi does NOT work in the rooms, which was a problem for me for work reasons, so I had to spend a lot of time in the bar lounge area. Not a huge deal but I was told it would work on my computer and it didn’t.

I highly recommend horseback riding with Sebastian and make SURE you go to Cafe Kahawa and have some apple pie. Best I’ve ever had anywhere.

We will be back when we have friends or family visit after Covid

Date of stay: January 2021
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2020

We stayed here for 5 nights and never got bored. This is a great location with many options of things to do, like hiking the multiple trails, birding the gardens, horseback riding, visiting the spa, etc. The rooms are simple, but comfortable and clean and, although it takes about 5+ minutes to warm up, do offer hot water in the showers. The most difficult hiking is the steep walk up the main road to get to the trailheads. We did see several people drive up, although the only available parking is to just pull off as much as possible to the side of the road. The view from the viewing platform near the top of the road is stunning and the platform is equipped with very nice restrooms. The trails are all well maintained and each offers a different experience (e.g. hike La Quebrada for a relaxing hike that follows along a stream/river, hike Canto de los Aves for a more narrow, winding and hilly hike through both the forest and a slightly more open grassland area, hike the Catarata trail down behind the Suenos resort for a fairly easy hike to a large waterfall). The gardens and the nearby orchard draw in several species of birds. Long-tailed silky flycatchers were regulars outside our room, but we also had a pair of quetzal one day. We stayed here over Christmas and the hotel really went the extra mile to make the holiday special. They provided entertainment (musicians) with a special Christmas Eve meal, included tamales with our breakfast on Christmas day, and gave us a small Christmas gift of chocolates and locally made jams.

Overall we really enjoyed our visit here. Our only disappointment from our stay is with the food. My boyfriend has stayed here in the past, when a buffet was offered for some of the meals and he said it was better. Right now, with Covid, all meals were ordered off of the menu. This was the 4th resort we stayed at this trip and was our least favorite food of them all. Each of the dishes we tried were just average in taste (with the exception of the breakfast panqueques which come with the most amazing maple syrup!). Vegetarian options are also extremely limited, although they did accommodate me and make a pasta with vegetables one night when the menu they were offering did not include any vegetarian choices. After trying a couple of dinners here, we went offsite for the rest of our dinners and lunches.

Date of stay: December 2020
Reviewed 21 December 2020

Beautiful ride to get to the hotel. Lovely grounds. Room was comfortable but not luxurious. The heat (its cold at night) worked well. The hotel asks that you wear armbands (what - this is not ClubMed) which is sort of part of the pretentiousness of the place. The check-in lady insisted we had to make reservations for dinner and for breakfast which was odd as the restaurant was never ever anywhere near crowded. The restaurant itself has a cheesy atmosphere not fitting with the rest of the place but if you sit on the terrace its beautiful. The food was excellent as well as the wait staff. The hiking trails are well marked and worth the hike. None are too strenuous or lengthy.

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank brucea323
Reviewed 27 October 2020 via mobile

My son and I have been to CR many times but this was our first time at San Gerardo de Dota. It’s absolutely beautiful. We hiked the trails, took a walk on the road by the river, and went horseback riding. Everyone wore masks and hand washing/sanitizing required. I had a fantastic massage at the spa. The staff was great, especially Josue at the restaurant. I hope to return with the rest of my family! Room was comfortable and clean. Beautiful gardens and lots of birds! Also the quetzal tour was awesome! I have beautiful photos of quetzals and several other birds from the region!

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2020

After the fairly hair-raising (very narrow and winding) road in , it was a pleasant surprise to find how cool it was here. (we had spent almost 3 weeks in other much hotter parts of Costa Rica). At the time we were there it was pretty much guaranteed that you would see a quetzel which had obligingly nested in a tree not too far from the road. There are plenty of other walks to do nearby as well.
Although the rooms are large and have nice gardens and seats outside, they feel more 3 star while the staff and restaurant are definitely 4 star.
It was a bit too resorty for my taste- lots of big tour groups and gilded desserts (!?) but a great spot to see a range of hummingbirds.

Date of stay: March 2020