“Worth the 26 years wait!”

Hotel Le Moulin de la Wantzenau
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in La Wantzenau
Reviewed 4 November 2015

I visited this hotel 26 years ago so decided to stay there when I was, once again, visiting Strasbourg. There was a warm welcome at reception and I decided to eat in my room. I was able to choose a quality meal from the adjacent restaurant, which is owned by the same family as the hotel, but is ran as a separate concern. Facilities within the room were excellent and, unlike a previous reviewer, I had no problem accessing the free wifi. I slept well although it was possible to hear the stream as it emerged from underneath the hotel. The continental style breakfast comprised a very varied selection of locally sourced items such as breads and home made jams. The staff were particularly friendly and helpful and they stored my valuables whilst I drove into the north of the city for an orienteering event. It was only a 15 minute drive away and being Sunday it was easy to find free parking. On my return from the event I was offered changing accommodation at the hotel. All in all I can wholeheartedly highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you are at all affected by the noise of running water perhaps a room at the front of the hotel wo...
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 September 2015

I absolutely loved this hotel and wish I could've stayed longer than the one night stay we had booked. It's located along a river on the outskirts of Strasbourg...close enough to the city to make it an adequate home base for exploring, yet isolated enough to experience the charm of the rural French countryside. The hotel is an old converted mill and offers free bicycle loaners to take advantage of the setting (particularly the network of bike paths in the area). The scenic grounds are surrounded by willow trees, water, and open green space for relaxing. The room itself was clean, spacious, and modern making for a very comfortable stay. You can expect to wake up to the sounds of flowing water and church bells from the neighboring small town. I'm not sure how easy it is to get to from the local airport or train station given we arrived by car, but the stop for the tram into the city is approximately a 5 minute drive away (you could probably walk it you wanted).

I'd also like to call special attention to the staff, particularly the lady working the reception the early evening of Sept 26th. After our check in, we retreated to our rooms to change our clothes and then went to head out and explore Strasbourg. When we got to the reception desk to ask for some information, she already had city and tram network maps set aside for us, with the key stops circled. It was a small gesture, but one that demonstrated to us that the staff genuinely wanted us to enjoy our stay.

This is honestly one of the best hotels I've stayed at in all my years of travelling.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank goldie1974
Reviewed 29 May 2015

We just spent 2 nights in the Hotel Le Moulin, an interesting old building in a quiet setting only 15 min walk to LaWantzenau along the river bank.
Rooms are well appointed the staff is helpful and friendly, breakfast is good, and you are quickly in Strasbourg, if you are looking for a quiet hotel with good restaurants near by, and nice river walks this is an option.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2015

This old converted mill sits in the countryside near the small, pretty town of La Wantzenau, near Strasbourg. The interior mixes old and modern effectively. My room was large and comfortable with a very good shower. The staff were helpful and friendly and breakfast was great with lots of local cheese, bread and pastries. I had dinner in the restaurant on one night. This was excellent, again serving local food and with great service. But it does get busy and is closed on bank holidays and Sundays, so do book in, in advance. It was a great location - close to Strasbourg but also to the Vosges and Black Forest, both great for walking. The only slight issue I found was that although the hotel had wifi I couldn't connect to it and the mobile signal wasn't great, so good to get away from it all, but possibly not if you need to work.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2015

An old water mill , the building with strict classical lines dictated from its ancient purpose , had its interior well adapted and restaured for the new purpose of wellcoming one who looks for a peacefull location and a good & personalized service .

Roofs are simply splendidly maintained on their original and wooden solution , hardened from decades on massive oak beams .

Service is corteous and efficient , coffee (expresso) is quite good !

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Petite France Centre
Regent Petite France & Spa
Regent Petite France & Spa
#9 of 131 in Strasbourg

Been to Hotel Le Moulin de la Wantzenau? Share your experiences!