“Oldish but cosy”
Review of Hotel Emas

Hotel Emas
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Tawau Division
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed in deluxe room for a night. The hotel building is a bit old, the lobby, reception and receptionist is nice, the room a bit small, with furniture worn out but you're provided with all room necessities and bathroom also had bathtub. The cleanliness is average, but looks a bit gloomy due to 'old-age'. View from room is nice - sea and part of old Tawau town. Overall, for a price offered, it is cheap but you get 'cosy old-age 3-star hotel'.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Ismeth_IX

Reviewed 18 May 2012

The hotel looks ok, though it is a bit old, but the management did try to keep the standard on par. The room, bathroom and sheets are clean. But the fridge is quite filthy with stains and smell. TV channel selection is very limited, only comes with local programs and sports channel.
Hotel surrounding has got nothing much to offer, it is situated in the old Tawau town. The staff are polite and helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Elainejenz
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed in this business hotel for two nights, as we wanted to visit Tawau and the Quion Hill cocoa estate. Somehow we got upgraded to a large suite, which comprised a lounge, bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. There was also a fridge, and a flatscreen TV, and separate aircon for lounge & bedroom. Everything was clean & worked well.
Breakfast was a buffet with fresh fruit and cooked options. Something for everyone. The staff were helpful and polite.
We found that it is only a short walk to the town centre, and the seafront, both of which have a lot of very good value restaurants and cafes.
Overall, it was a good stay, and the upgraded room was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Try to get the suite - there is no harm in asking if it is available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TWinster13
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Emas for business trip. I stayed at executive floor for two nights. Generally, I felt the room condition was clean and comfortable. I especially like the concept of executive room design with clear partition of living room, bed room and dress room. The room gave me a English feel when I put my first step into the room. I used to stay at different hotels during business trips or vacation in several countries. To my knowledge, this is the first hotel developes their customized made hand soap and bath soap by using cocoa material. I also tried few dishes at hotel restaurant during my lunch time or dinner. I will recommend the "fish sliced meat with vermicelli soup" to my friend. It is one of the authetic Malaysian hawker food. In future, if I plan a trip to Sipadan island, I guess Hotel Emas will be in my list.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank doramon
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Tawau is the gateway to many beautiful islands in Sabah. I return more than twice every year and it was usually the Emas Hotel. However, with the recent posting in the Trip Advisor, i've moved to another in Tawau. There is much to improve in terms of service delivery and approach which is lacking in this "used-to-be" well-known hotel at the heart of the town.

BTW, I've met Mr. William Lee during one of my stays before and he is definitely not from a travel agent family. Based on his name card he is one of the senior management team of Teck Guan Group of Companies.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business