See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed in this business hotel for two nights, as we wanted to visit Tawau and the Quion Hill cocoa estate. Somehow we got upgraded to a large suite, which comprised a lounge, bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. There was also a fridge, and a flatscreen TV, and separate aircon for lounge & bedroom. Everything was clean & worked well.
Breakfast was a buffet with fresh fruit and cooked options. Something for everyone. The staff were helpful and polite.
We found that it is only a short walk to the town centre, and the seafront, both of which have a lot of very good value restaurants and cafes.
Overall, it was a good stay, and the upgraded room was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Try to get the suite - there is no harm in asking if it is available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony W
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Emas for business trip. I stayed at executive floor for two nights. Generally, I felt the room condition was clean and comfortable. I especially like the concept of executive room design with clear partition of living room, bed room and dress room. The room gave me a English feel when I put my first step into the room. I used to stay at different hotels during business trips or vacation in several countries. To my knowledge, this is the first hotel developes their customized made hand soap and bath soap by using cocoa material. I also tried few dishes at hotel restaurant during my lunch time or dinner. I will recommend the "fish sliced meat with vermicelli soup" to my friend. It is one of the authetic Malaysian hawker food. In future, if I plan a trip to Sipadan island, I guess Hotel Emas will be in my list.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank doramon
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Tawau is the gateway to many beautiful islands in Sabah. I return more than twice every year and it was usually the Emas Hotel. However, with the recent posting in the Trip Advisor, i've moved to another in Tawau. There is much to improve in terms of service delivery and approach which is lacking in this "used-to-be" well-known hotel at the heart of the town.

BTW, I've met Mr. William Lee during one of my stays before and he is definitely not from a travel agent family. Based on his name card he is one of the senior management team of Teck Guan Group of Companies.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Q-Ambassador
Reviewed 21 May 2009

I've just visited Tawau on business trip. I stayed at Hotel Emas for 3 nights (18-21 May 2009).The hotel feels quite old . However hallways are well lit and decorated. The room I had was basic but clean but some of the furniture need refurbished. Breakfast was ok but lack of choices. The only setback is the location, situated outside the city centre.

Regarding Dishonest Guy, Mr William Lee, in Hotel Emas. I found that he is not an employee of Hotel Emas. He works for travel agent.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank Pauzi
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Be careful of the dishonest staff, Mr William Lee, in Hotel Emas. He cheated us to pay his rafting cost in Kota Kinabalu and reluctant to pay us back after rafting.
He also cheated us in the arrangement of hotel. He made a reservation for my family and clearly said that he will pay the hotel cost as we have paid his dinner and his massage fee in massage centre. However, he called police to catch us in the airport after checking-out and claiming us that we were refusing to pay the accomodation.
He is also very impolite. He suddenly visited our hotel room (with ladies) at 7am and stayed inside our room without any reason. We had not dressed up at that moment. It is so embarrassed as such a middle-aged guy starred at us, especially in the morning and not dressed up yet.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
7  Thank Cafechiu
raynur, Manager at Hotel Emas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2010

My name is Raymond Tan, the new Hotel Emas Manager. The person named William Lee that was mentioned in the review is no longer a staff in the hotel. After some investigation to the claims by Cafechiu, i found that the comments written has nothing to do with the hotel and not related in any area, rather it was written based on the personal relationship between William Lee and Cafechiu that might have gone bad or whatsoever.

My personal assurance to all my esteem valuable guests is that such incident will not happen in Hotel Emas going forward. We value all constructive criticism and comments in order for us to continuously improve our services.

I can be contacted anytime through my email: tanch@teckguan.com for all your enquiries.