“THIS SMALL TEA ROOM IS BIG ON QUALITY”

Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 28 August 2018

This is one place we visit every time we're in Northumberland, and it never fails. Yes, it's quite small, but the owners always manage to fit you in when it's busy, and the home made cakes are not to be missed. A great selection of savoury dishes are on offer for lunch-time too, all at remarkably reasonable prices. Our thanks go to Michael and staff for always extending a warm welcome.

1  Thank christine y

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

A welcome stop if driving on the A69. We really just needed a comfort break, but decided to have a snack lunch.
This was served to our table outside, just sandwiches with salad and a hot drink, but good quality and reasonably priced.

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

I visit this place every couple of months and I love it.Today it was very busy, but the two ladies looked after us.The food and drink were excellent as usual.Brilliant staff to match a brilliant place.

1  Thank Cathy B
Reviewed 28 July 2018

Not sure if we had an unusually bad experience but this is not somewhere I would return to in a hurry. If I want to be patronised and made to feel small I can probably find the experience free of charge locally rather than drive out of my way to this place.

Lovely shop/cafe but the service was about as unwelcoming as you can get. I was ignored for several minutes by the two women behind the counter when I entered. On finally being served with a sigh and a Yes? I asked for a couple of coffees and gestured at the single remaining fruit scone.

'That's spoken for.' I was told. 'But there's more back there.' I ordered them.

I paid the £8.80 she asked for (£8.80? - is it me or that expensive for two small scones and two small mugs of coffee) and waited again. She put a tray on the counter with a mug and began to fill it. I touched it unsure. I wanted to ask her something else but she was smiling at a couple of guys who were leaving and called her by name.

'That's not yours,' she said indicating the coffee.

'Oh,' I said, embarrassed.

'Sit down and we'll bring it.'

I wanted to the toilet I whispered. I clearly couldn't have been more of a bother to this woman.

'It's back there,' she said tossing head.

The toilet was nice and very clean.

Twenty minutes later, seated as instructed, we still hadn't got our order although another couple of what were obviously regulars had.

I returned the counter to be reprimanded again. 'We're very busy. It will just be a minute.'

I sat down again but went back five minutes later to ask for a refund. We wanted to leave and get on with our journey, however, our order was waiting on the counter. I took it away. It was OK. Not worth the money, the wait or the rudeness.

Like I say, ours might have been a particularly bad experience but I rarely get a day off and I don't want to take chance on a stuck-up place like this. Drive on for a few minutes and you'll come to a Starbucks. It might be a chain but it's easy to park, the coffee's great and staff don't seem to find the idea of service repugnant.

Reviewed 26 July 2018

We called in here on our way to Northumberland in April apologies for late review !! We really enjoyed our sandwiches & pot of tea Before we left we used the toilets Believe me I have yet to see the amount of toiletries for babies !! Impeccably clean & far superior to many of our department stores !! Well worth a visit

1  Thank jeanmac57