“It's pricey but those back nine holes just about make up for it”

Club De Golf Son Termens
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Bunyola
Reviewed 2 April 2017

It has taken me five years to play Son Termens. In 2012 I flew out and Iberian Airways managed to leave all my clothes and golf clubs in Madrid for three days and I was only reunited with them on the day I was to fly home.

So it was good to be back, not looking like a tramp, and having clubs and golf shoes to get me round. This is a charming setting, with wooded hillsides, panoramic views down to Palma, Mallorca's capital, and a lovely terrace on the clubhouse from which to take it all in.

There are a few downsides, chiefly the price of a green fee which my playing partner and I got for €85 through an agency plus an additional €40 for a buggy, which is essential here unless you are as agile as the feral goats that graze the course. The goats get into the bunkers but there is very little sand in them anyway so not too much harm is done but for the price you expect better quality.

And the same can be said for the tee boxes which, because of the lack of water on the island are almost bald in places. And lastly, watch out for slow moving fourballs, because they will not let you through. We got stuck behind one group of Germans who were routinely carving shots into the woods, but even though we were just two and superior players they were having none of it. Whack! Off a shot would go into the trees so then they had another go before disappearing off to look for both balls. Maddening!

But that is the downside, and there are far more positives despite the unremarkable opening two holes. The further into the round you get the more dramatic the holes become with some sensational drives to enjoy from raised tee boxes.

We climb steadily upwards from 10 and there are some stupendous risk and reward holes, none more so than the par four 13th where big hitters can attempt to clear a deep gorge to leave only a wedge shot in. It's far smarter for higher handicappers to lay up.

From 14 home it is a roller-coaster, switchback ride of playing up and down tree lined fairways with a few man-made lakes to avoid too. It is almost hard to concentrate on the golf with so many glorious views. Driving off down the hill on 18 to the clubhouse and a 374 yard hole off the back tees is a real thrill, especially if you have knocked one out of the screws and can see the ball bouncing onwards towards the green.

Afterwards the terrace provides excellent food and a chance to gaze back at the scene of our adventures. I do recommend playing here, if just for the back nine alone. But do shop around for the best deal you can find.

1  Thank Golfing-Steve
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

Great mountain course with spectacular views. Few really short Par 4's, when you can take a risk and hit the green. One negative thing was the yellow tee box in hole number 12. There were no grass left and the surface was so hard that you couldn't put the tee on the ground.

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

First impression that i got was that the maintenance was not to good, everything was a little bit old. Balls on the driving range, golf carts.
The prices where pretty high anyway, we payed 85/per and that was cheaper than normal, than you had to pay 45/ euros extra if you wanted a cart.
We walked one day 18 holes and it's very hilly and I can say I'm in pretty good shape but that was a tuff walk.
The golf course is not that long but what makes it hard is that it plays very narrow and uphill.
It's a very nice scenic view, especially the back 9 holes.
It deserves a 3 for clubhouse, driving range, carts.
The golf course gets a 4.
If I come back to Mallorca I would play here again.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

I've read a few reviews of this course now and I suppose I need to take a little bit from a lot of them. Some simply do not tally with my experience, but let me offer a couple of bits of context: first, I was quite hungover. Secondly, I was on my own (billy-no-mates here was the only one keen enough to get up to play that morning). Thirdly, the £ is so bad against the € at the moment that everything feels like poor value. Finally, I was first out on the course at 8.15am.

Here though are my thoughts:

1. Reception/ambience - dead. As a doornail. The Pro Shop wasn't open before 9am and there was one member of staff sitting at his desk (in darkness) who couldn't quite find my booking and seemed mildly put out by my simple request for a bottle of water.

No greeting in the car park, no food or drink available for my buggy, no tees. It felt like I'd arrived on a public holiday and this guy drew the short straw to work that day.

2. Buggies - definitely take one, despite the price. You'd need a stern pair of walking boots and Olympian stamina to do this on foot. From green to tee is often longer than from tee to green. The problem is they know you need one so at €40 hire, perhaps complimentary water should not have been too much to ask. The buggies are also still basic and petrol-powered so be ready for the haze of fumes following you round the course (this bit wasn't great for the hangover).

3. The Course - really interesting. Some imaginative holes; some faintly ridiculous (and definitely not for high handicappers). Great views from tee of several holes. Many goats. Tight fairways and shortish Par 4s that may tempt the big drive but often respond better to a well-placed iron and wedge. Couple of great par-3s. Spongy slowish greens, but true. Good sand. I played at the end of an unusually dry year so all the natural water features were bare. I imagine that in full bloom the ravines and burns look quite spectacular, but the ground staff were doing everything possible to keep the grass on the fairways green so I was fairly accepting of this. It's a fair course and not an especially difficult one, provided you are straight: there is a lot that can go wrong on the back nine.

4. The little things - At €90 per round, plus €40 for the buggy, and no added extras, it's an expensive round for an average experience. Coming from Scotland I know what a good round feels like (I know what a snobbish club feels like to visit too, mind) and Son Termens doesn't quite stack up.

Given the context of my visit I may have noticed the little things less had I been in company, but - for example - the scorecard (with its cheap paper and heavily pixelated photo) folded in half down the 11th instead of after nine. Who doesn't notice that when they design a scorecard?

I think Mallorca, in general, has a long way to go with its golf tourism, but if they can sort out the service and the "feel" round the club, then this course, at least, is a winner.