All reviews affordable hotel white bread sumo wrestler tour group shower head across the street miso soup tokyo standards business hotel sobu line train station breakfast buffet easy access arena roommate sidewalk ryogoku
Reviewed 25 February 2018

We had a great stay here. First the location is superb, place is quiet and very near the Ryogoku Sobu line station, just 1 minute walk! There are restaurants and convenience store nearby.

Room we had is small (economy studio room) and on the older wing of the hitel but all is okay. Room and toilet & bath is clean with free toiletries. Wifi connection is fast.

Staff are very helpful and can speak english well. Breakfast is also good.I just hope there's a complimentary bottled water in the room.

Check in and check out was smoothly fast.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 20 October 2017

Did a long stay with a small-size group. Rooms are as expected for budget Japan business hotel, sufficient for single traveler. Nice quiet location and can see sumo wrestler walking around. Some rooms have views of sumo stadium and Sky Tree but also face above ground train. The weather became warmer after a cool spell and the a/c was not very cool. After saying something to the front, it seems they turned the a/c back on which was nice since I thought their solution was to open the window (which was noisy from train and humid). Nice staff, easy access to various train lines, can take straight shot to either airport by going to a station across the river (12-15min walk).

Room Tip: Some rooms face sumo stadium and Sky Tree and trains, some rooms face another building.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed here on a school trip from Toronto. The staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet had a big variety of food! Right next to the sumo temple, a beautiful park, small quaint bars and the subway/JR Line. This was my first time staying in Tokyo and it was a good location. the hotel is a bit out dated but other than that Plus a view of skytree and the river!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2017

This was my first trip to Japan. The Ryogoku Pearl Hotel is the only Tokyo hotel I've ever stayed at, so I can only review it in that context. I was also part of a school tour, so I can't speak to the cost of staying.

THE ROOMS:
Don't lose the key. Turn it in to reception before you head out. It costs $300 to rekey the room. Place the fob into the card slot to make the lights work. I stayed in a single bed room. It looks exactly like the professional photos. I saw these photos before going and I was still surprised how small the room was. Budget travel in Tokyo - of course the room was going to be small. No closet, just two knobs set in the wall with one hanger each. A full length mirror and a long shoe horn are in the same location as you enter the room. I packed carry-on and managed to perch my open suitcase on the chair at the foot of the bed. Everyone else in our group brought bigger every suitcases and managed to fit them into the rooms but I'd guess it was a tight squeeze, especially in the twin rooms. One person joked that the space between the beds was so narrow, if he flipped over while sleeping, he might hit his roommate with his hand. My room was on the river side with the elevated highway. I had no sound issues. The room was quiet but I left the fridge off at night because of the noise. It was useful at chilling beverages for my return after dinner. The room & bathroom was reset everyday. New flat, white slippers and a new light "housecoat" set out each day. As typical of the three Japanese hotels we stayed at, the tub was deep, shower head could be set high (probably not high enough if you're tall) or low for anyone bathing Asian style (crouching). High-tech toilet with standard controls. You should research how to use them before coming to Japan. Towels in Japan are thinner & have texture but you get the usual large and medium size ones. Well-stocked with individually-sealed toiletries like flooding brushes, Q-tips, shampoo, body soap, etc. Hair dryer too. Small flat screen TV with all Japanese channels. I found the room cold. In my room, there was a draft from the window which was right above my bed. I should've asked for an extra blanket but for some reason just toughed it out. The window pops open quite wide. Fresh air in a high-rise is fantastic. My room had a faint funky odour of body odour but it wasn't me! The air freshener helped a bit. I wasn't in the room much so it wasn't a big deal. I heard no complaints or jokes about room odour from the others in my tour group, so probably just my room. I slept the usual hours and usual quality I sleep when jet-lagged, so obviously my sleep was unaffected.

THE FOOD:
I only ate breakfasts at the hotel. They offered a mix of western and Japanese items. As usual with travelling, the western food items weren't quite the same as back home - small cereal packets, yogurt, juice (orange, lemonade), white bread with jams (no peanut butter or Nutella), eggs. You'll eat heartier if you're comfortable with eating stew or miso soup in the morning. Staff will gently correct you if you try to put stew into the miso bowl. Be adventurous (which is why you came to Japan) and learn what you like or dislike. I love Asian food but the pickled cherries weren't for me. If there are other tour groups in the hotel (easy to tell because the lobby is small), come down early to eat because it gets full fast. Breakfast was from 6:30 am to 9 am. Staff are quick to help you with the equipment and clear the tables briskly without rushing you. If you only eat the western food and still feel hungry, there's a McDonald's next door. Might taste a bit different than at home. Someone got a burger meal from McD's and didn't like how the fries tasted. Depends how particular your taste buds are.

THE STAFF:
The ones I met didn't speak English but were very helpful & friendly. They did a good job of understanding my tourist survival phrases & figured out my miming.

WI-FI
Password was posted in the lobby. Although the instructions were in Japanese, it was easy to figure out the info. Just take a photo of the card for reference.

LOCATION:
Easy access to station. Sumo arena across the street. Make sure you check when sumo events happen because in March, the sumo wrestlers are in Osaka. There's a grocery store within easy walking distance. When you stand on the sidewalk in front of the hotel, leave room for the cyclists who zip by you.

COST:
Unknown. We were part of a tour. I imagine this is an affordable hotel by Tokyo standards.

CONCLUSION:
I liked this hotel despite my minor room issues. Good location, good food, good staff. Would stay here again especially if this is considered a budget hotel for Tokyo.

Room Tip: No one in my group mentioned noise issues but maybe ask for a room that faces the river. And ask for an extra blanket if you need one.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank Javamaniac
Reviewed 22 June 2016

l found this hotel fine, the bathroom was small but clean, the room was fine too. The air con was not cold, It did have a fridge which was good. Had TV but no English channels which is pretty much the norm in Japapn

would l stay here again, yes

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo