“Not as good as expected....”

Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
Reviewed 12 December 2017

I rented a twin room (room 1004) and it was quiet, clean and comfortable. However I am surprised of the many 4 and 5 reviews. The hotel is about the same as an average Best Western or perhaps a below average Holiday Inn. Many areas of the hotel are tired and worn. The carpets are worn and old. The AC is an old system where they set it for heat so the entire hotel is on heat. Your only choice is how much heat....or you can open the window. Yes a 10th floor room has windows that open (swing out). Hot water for shower or bath was no problem. The price of the room was too high.....about the same as the Shinagawa Prince which was much nicer. Being near Shibuya is nice (about a 5 minute walk to metro station). Many places to eat in this area. Shibuya is very busy...and pretty dirty. I asked for a one hour check out extension and was quoted $30. Better hotels such as the Richmond only charge $10. Breakfast is adequate but nothing special. They have two places to eat breakfast and one offers western food (except of course in Japan the eggs are runny). Staff nice but nothing special. This hotel gives the impression that it is an old Japanese business hotel attempting to be a tourist hotel..but misses the mark. Internet is ok...not slow...but not fast. No view from the rooms. Excellent pizza place next door. If the price is much lower I may stay here again. Just to be in this area. More likely I will check out the other nearby hotels first.

Room Tip: If you can get this room for less than $100 and just want a clean quite place to stay then this is g...
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank BCollyer

Reviewed 10 December 2017

There isn't really anything wrong with this hotel. It did the job. Great location and walking distance to a lot. Rooms are small. Shower/bathroom is great and the concierge is incredibly helpful making reservations. The free breakfast is pretty terrible. All in all the rooms being small and dark would deter me from staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Located very conveniently, 5 mins walk from Shibuya Station, but in a quieter part of Shibuya so I didn't hear any street noise.
Staff on the reception desk all spoke English and were very pleasant.
I stayed in a single non-smoking room, which while not the biggest in the world (as to be expected in Tokyo) was perfectly acceptable and clean. Bed was very comfortable and a combination of cracking the window or air-con got the temperature how I wanted it. There was free wi-fi.
Not much else to say really, I didn't spend a whole lot of time there. Would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank James D
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Convenient location, stylish, thoughtful details and attentive staff - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Shibuya Granbell. We had the Superior Twin with double ceiling height, a balcony with a view (13th floor) and an imaginative light feature in the curtain, plus a huge walk-in power shower and a deep bath tub. Loved the generous supply of classy toiletries and the Nespresso machine. The receptionist recommended a fantastic tiny tempura restaurant round the corner (and actually walked us there!). WIFI worked well throughout. Japanese breakfast and the 'French Toast' option delicious. The perfect un-corporate oasis in Tokyo.

Room Tip: Superior Twin on top floor for space, style and ceiling height
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cannes364
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed this hotel as it provided us free breakfast. We really enjoyed the japanese breakfast every day even though it was the same dishes!

The room itself was enough for 2 of us, we were still able to walk around with 2 big luggages. The room is very stuffy upon entering and the whole air conditioning is central heated so we asked the hotel staff to open up our window which was good. We kept this window opened the whole time we were here for 5 nights even when we were sleeping.

The bathroom was spacious however I wish there was a proper shower curtain or door because water kept pooling up on the tiles if you weren't careful. The bed was nice however the pillows were quite flat and soft. There was another pillow which was harder but it was more like a log so I wasn't sure sleeping on it would do my neck any good.

The location is very good! We caught the airport limosine bus which dropped us too at Ceruleun hotel which is only 5 mins walk from the hotel. I suggest you book with the bus if you don't want any fussing around at the train station and getting lost at which exit to go and if you wont be activating your JR pass any time soon to use the narita express. I also did youtube how to get from shibuya station to the hotel if you do plan to catch the train to the hotel.

The hotel gives you a free hotel logo towel if you dont need room cleaned for 1 day which was good because personally I dont think the rooms needed to be cleaned daily.

I really enjoyed staying here, I would probably stay here again because of the good location and delicious japanese breakfast! I dont know why alot of people are complaining, you're in Japan, why not experience an authentic japanese meal rather than eat eggs and bacon lol.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple