“Great Place to Stay”

Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels / Ryokan in Shibuya
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I chose this hotel because it is a highly rated hotel in TA. It is our first time to visit Japan. And I agree with what other people say about this hotel.
From Narita, we took the Airport Limousine which costs 3k yen and will drop you off right in front of the hotel's entrance.
The lobby is well designed and modern looking, definitely clean.
The front desk person is able to speak english very well.
The room is not that spacious but it's really nice and clean. It is adequately lighted compared to most of the standard rooms in other hotels. It provides everything a big room can provide. I even liked the ironing board press provided for. The bathroom is so clean. They're so generous with toiletries (large full bottles with dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and body soap).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Albertpasiagmail

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Malibu, California
Reviewed 1 April 2012

First, I'd give it 5 stars if they hadn't placed us in "smoking" rooms the first night. We purchased our rooms through Agoda, and before I pulled the money trigger I made sure we were reserving "non-smoking" rooms. As we were checking in (late--10:00pm) we were told our rooms were "deauthorized"...then they switched to "you never reserved non smoking rooms". Not sure if Agoda is at fault or if they released our rooms because we arrived late. In any event, make sure you get non smoking rooms if you don't smoke-if you are checking in late let them know too. Smoking rooms stink HORRIBLY. The next day they discovered two non smoking rooms and moved our stuff while we were gone :) The rooms were awesome--standard twin (actually 2 double beds), plenty of room, immaculate housekeeping, friendly staff that speaks just enough English. GREAT location next to the Shinjuku train station. I would avoid the restaurant though. Very expensive Italian (??) and very weird service. They didn't serve our food all at the same time--more like 10-15 minutes apart. We had wired internet in our rooms (free) and brought a "switch" purchased from amazon for $20 and extra cords so our kids could be on their puters at the same time because there is only one computer outlet. Also bought socket adapters on ebay for our 3 prong computers but they might have these at the front desk. HUGE Shampoo and cream rinse provided. I believe there is an ATM in the lobby and we took advantage of the coin operated washer and dryer in the basement (warning--dryers don't work well) but hey, better than nothing. There is only one english speaking channel on the flatscreen and you can purchase a movie if you can figure out the Japanese only instructions. Would stay there again, but double/triple make sure our rooms are non-smoking.

Room Tip: Check out youtube videos of this hotel..very helpful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank ZumaFamily
Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here for a few days in June 2011 with the wife. Went to Japan due to the great value in pricing for the hotel and airfare

This hotel is located nearby to the Shinjuku subway station (5 to 8mins walk). From that subway station, it's easy to take trips down to all the usual touristy places. For an Asian couple, non-speaking/reading-Japanese who planned the trip within 7 days before departure, it was easy going around town taking the subway navigating through the help/direction signs.

Transport we took to&from the hotel from Haneda/Narita airport is through http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/platform_searches/index/4/214

There is a 24hrs MacDonalds outlet and Convenience store nearby where we go to for our breakfast and supper munchies. Normal hours stores Starbucks and Krispy Kreme are nearby too. 10 to 15mins walk there are numerous Japanese food stalls/outlets opened till after midnight and beyond.

Hotel looks nice. The room is small and the bed is kinda small for a queen size bed. Sleep was uncomfortable due to that (but you get what you pay for). Internet access is free (wired) in the room. Toiletries is from the brand POLA (wifey loves that).

Area surrounding the hotel can be quiet during afterdark but i don't feel unsafe when walking alone till 4am in the morning by myself.

There is a couple of BIG shopping centres nearby too.

This hotel is a recommended for it's centralised location (if you don't mind the cramp room space)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sbjohari
Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stayed there for 2 weeks in a deluxe room 2 twin bed. ( I think it was deluxe because we really didnt get problem with the size of the room ). The bed was bigger than expected ! I'm used to be alone in a double bed ...and then it was a little smaller than my double bed. So big bed !

Internet was OK even if the fact that it's not wifi is kind of annoying.

We arrived at the Shinjuku train station from Narita airport with the NEX. We got a little puzzled when going outside the station to find the hotel. But we had a little map that I prepared before hand and found it in 10 minutes. Be sure to search on google map or anything and having a map just to not search it with too much !

JR station was soooooo near ! It was so convinient ! And because the main Tokyo attractions are on the green JR ...it's less expensive in train ! It's not complicated at all to go to Shibuya, harajuku and all in JR from the hotel !

The room and hotel was super clean !

The staff are talking in english ! They are also really kind. I got a problem with my bank and went to the main desk to ask for the 'return call' for Canada. It was midnight and they searched for me.

It's near from a lot of convinient store ( Lawson and familymart ). There is a post office right infront that allow you to redraw money from your bank account ! There is also a lot of store nearby and restorants. There is low price Karaoke nearby too that you can go even the morning ! Mc donald's and KFC restorant near. Tokyu hands store is in a store near the hotel and allow you to buy craft ( glue, pencil, paper ), gifts, bags and more. It's look like a zellers but without the foods.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed at the Sunroute Plaza for two nights over a weekend when I knew I'd be missing the last train home after a night out with friends. I chose Sunroute Plaza based on price, location, and the reviews on here. I was in no way disappointed with the hotel and very much enjoyed my stay, but I don't know if I'd make it a "must stay" hotel in the future.

The hotel is incredibly convenient to Shinjuku Station, which was very nice. Plus, there was a Starbucks on the walk from the hotel to the station, which was a nice perk. I didn't know it at the time, though it turned out to be incredibly helpful for a friend of mine, but the limousine bus to both Narita and Haneda Airports picks-up in front of the hotel, and tickets for the bus can be purchased at the front desk. If you're doing the to/from the airport trip, this is an excellent set up.

The lobby is quite beautiful with ample seating areas. Supposedly there's free WiFi, too, but I didn't notice. The elevators were quick to arrive and quick to get you to your floor. The front desk staff are very pleasant and, though my check-in was done in Japanese, I noticed many non-Japanese guests, so I'd surmise that English is spoken well enough to maintain an international clientele. In all, everything was clean and well-maintained.

The rooms are tiny, but kept spotless and clean. Even by Japanese standards, though, I'd say these rooms are small. My friend and I had room with one bed as that's all that was available, and it was pretty cramped. I'd venture to say that this room should not really have held two people at all. As it was, we had only overnight bags, smaller than airplane carry-ons, and they were in the way no matter where we put them. There's a "closet" near the door to the room, but it was already so cluttered with "amenities" that we just made do with stacking the bags in the corner and accepting that we'd have to walk around them.

Free wired internet is available in the rooms and it's relatively fast. This is a feature that's becoming pretty common in Japan that I wish the US/Europe would adopt. That was actually one of the deciding feature when I settled on this hotel. Though, the desk area has a lot of hotel-placed stuff on top (vanity mirror, information pack, informational signs in plastic stands, etc) that must be cleared off if you want to even attempt to use your laptop on it.

The bed was firm but not uncomfortable. The pillows, however, left a bit to be desired. The bed had two pillows, but they came with different fills. One pillow seemed to be the standard faux-down pillow. The other was filled with those pellet...things. Either way, the pillow was rather unforgiving and not particularly comfortable. I'm sure I could've called housekeeping for another, but I disliked that the room only came with those options in the first place as the pellet-filled option isn't something that I'd think a lot of people would opt for.

The bathroom was pretty standard. It was the moulded plastic common in many Japanese hotels - the kind where it seems like it was inserted as a some sort of plug-in unit into the room itself. Water pressure was good and hot water was plentiful. The soap/shampoo, however, were awful. Sunroute Plaze uses Pola products (or so said the bottles) which are generally very good - to the extent that my mother, after a trip out here to Japan, requests I order, receive and then send her Pola products not available in the US. The soap thoroughly dried out my skin and I don't have skin that's particularly prone to irritation. The shampoo left me feeling as if I'd not rinsed my hair thoroughly enough and thus made it hard to style. The conditioner was fine, though. So I guess that's a bonus.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again, but it wouldn't be my first choice. It'd definitely be in my top 5, but it didn't edge out my two main must-stay hotels. Though, you definitely can't beat the location. So if that's the most important aspect you're looking for, then this is a great place.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website for room types prior to booking - some of the more expensive rooms hav...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shibuya
Hotel Century Southern Tower
#8 of 82 in Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
Hotel Gracery Shinjuku
#5 of 82 in Shinjuku

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!