“Smokehouse in the big smoke”
Review of Low & Slow

Low & Slow
Ranked #751 of 8,386 Restaurants in Shibuya
Price range: US$27 - US$36
Neighbourhood: Shibuya, Harajuku, Ebisu
Description: LOW & SLOW is the first flagship TEXAS BBQ store in Japan. Pitmaster Jesse King has launched Smokehouse BBQ in Bali Indonesia with his expectation for BBQ's potential demand. He uses the same methods to smoke his BBQ as he used back in his hometown of Austin, Texas. He interned at Micklethwait Craft Meats, an acclaimed BBQ restaurant in Texas before moving to Bali. Now his authentic BBQ style has
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Right in the heart of Shibuya just next to the train station we stumbled upon this smokehouse. Originally we had planned to visit the actual restaurant named Smokehouse but were turned away - they had asked us if we wanted a table or counter seat to which we said either but then were told they had no space despite having an empty restaurant at 5.45pm. Anyway not deterred I was determined to have smoked meat, don’t get me wrong I love Japanese food but felt like a change so found this place.

On the eighth floor with a beautiful view of Shibuya by night, laid back setting, non pretentious but still classy. Wide range of meat, huge servings, prompt delivery at reasonable prices - what more could you ask for? We opted for the combo plate of brisket beef and pulled pork - having recently been to New York this came a very close second!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve been meaning to go there for a while and by luck ended up there tonight. I’m Australian and the whole smoking craze is just starting up there and this was not even close to the “best smoker restaurant”. Everything was amazing and my god.. the ribs! Get the ribs! Get all of the ribs!!!

I really hope that this place survives. It wasn’t busy at all on a Sunday night, granted we left at 6:30, when our kids had had enough...

Just go!!!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

This place has now been open about 6 months, so I was surprised to see just 4 reviews here. So, I went and checked it out.

Location: It is just a minute or two from the Hachiko exit of Shibuya station; right next to the tracks. It doesn't stand out, though. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't know it was there. Maybe that is why it was dead empty at 19:30 on a Saturday night (which makes it awkward when you feel like the staff are all just staring at you eat).

Inside: It is quite spacious and I liked the wooden decor and huge neon Texas sign. Getting off the elevator, you turn right and walk past their huge smoker. I was expecting to be hit in the face by the delicious smell of smoked meat, but their was nothing (the only smoke I could smell was the smell of cigarette smoke in the elevator).

Food: I'll start with the good. The pulled-pork sandwich was pretty good. It is certainly better than the one at the Smokehouse (whose pulled-pork burger has gone downhill of late). Be aware that the sandwiches come with fries. I wish we had been told when we ordered a side of fries, as well. The apple cobbler was also pretty good except for the raisins. I don't know why they love to put raisins in their apple pies/crumbles/cobblers in Japan, but you have to ask. The one time I forgot, and the dish was swimming in them. Now for the bad. Unfortunately, the ribs were flavorless. There wasn't even the hint of smokiness to them. They were tender, though and enjoyable once slathered in BBQ sauce. The sauces were all a bit too thin, though. I prefer a thick sauce for my ribs. The coleslaw was also flavorless and too watery. There wasn't even a hint of vinegar in it.

Price: Not cheap, but about standard for this kind of joint.

The short of it: I was excited to try this place out. I had big expectations based on the few reviews here and Google. In the end, it was a let down and I doubt I'll be going back. If you want good ribs, nowhere beat's Hato's Bar in Meguro.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

This IS the real McCoy. Smokers, wood, the right cuts of meat . . . and pretty decent portions for Japan. Got the number 7 platter - 2 ribs (juicy, meaty), nice slice of tender beef brisket and good size dollop of pulled pork. All great. recommend the smoked fried chicken too. Potato salad was a bit hard / undercooked. Mac and cheese was good - a real homemade cheese sauce - though maybe not the most authentic if we're talking southern food. Not cheap, but very much worth it.

Wish they expanded the wine menu a bit. A good Cally Zinfandel would be nice with this food. Had the Malbec which was fine.

Will be back.

Reviewed 16 December 2017 via mobile

One evening, after a long day walking around the beautiful city of Tokyo, I was starving and felt like eating a steak or just meat. I did an internet search and found Low & Slow. I decided to go and give it a shot.

First off, its tricky to find, as is located in a building’s 8th floor. But when I finally arrived I was greeted with a friendly smile. The place is not big, but its really comfortable and cozy.

I ordered the pulled pork, sausage, with coleslaw and mac&cheese. Just writing this makes my mouth water a bit. The meat was amazing. Probably one of the best BBQ’s I’ve had. Their Home Sauce is simply amazing.

Before you come here, make sure to make a reservation. I showed up at around 19:00 and all but one table was available or the bar. So if you don’t want to be disappointed by having to leave, just make a reservation.

The mac&cheese was a bit dry for my taste but it was still very delicious. The drink menu is fairly big, but I felt like the beer menu could be expanded a bit. Other than that, this place is great for those who might want to eat some good ol’ BBQ if feeling homesick or just trying to change the menu up a bit.