“Oasis in a beer desert”

Y.Y.G Brewery & Beer Kitchen
Ranked #432 of 9,197 Restaurants in Shibuya
Price range: US$18 - US$64
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: Brewery and bar on the 1st floor Restaurant on the 7th floor Cozy WOOD DECK outside the bar
Reviewed 25 September 2018

Craft brewing has been slow to catch on in Japan. We learned this after almost 2 weeks of only Asahi and Kirin, so we were yearning for some cold beer with big flavor and at least the hint of malt and hops. YYG Brewery was our godsend. It's set in a back alley (very safe, but somewhat difficult to find) in the Shinjuku District. We tried 6 different beers (there were 4 of us), and liked them all. Being from the SF Bay Area, we tend to have West Coast palates, including moderate to big hoppiness and a solid base. YYG, whose master brewer studied on the West Coast, had several IPAs and a pale ale that met our needs.

We were in the downstairs taproom, where the food selections were limited and appeared to be a Japanese spin on American pub food. Since we were there for just a mid-afternoon break, we decided to share a Quesadilla - luckily we weren't too hungry as the portion size was quite small. We particularly enjoyed the two young fellows behind the bar - they spoke good "beer English" and were more than helpful describing the selections. All in all, a nice oasis.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Got to watch them brew. Smells amazing, beer was great and refreshing. Try the in shell roasted macadamia nuts too

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 15 August 2018

Y.Y.G. Brewery can be difficult to find — the streets in the area around Southern Terrace and Yoyogi Station can be a bit of maze — but it's worth the effort. My husband and I came in the middle of a Tokyo heat wave, and we loved being able to sit in a nice cool bar drinking great beer. The food is okay. The serves are small, but I LOVED the oyster sliders. However, if you treat Y.Y.G. as a place for a pre-dinner drink you can't go wrong.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I say nano because the brew system is a 300 liter (3.1 barrel or 80 gallons US) boil kettle. Two conical fermenters. From there they keg and serve out of kegs (no bright beer tanks for conditioning).
They have (currently) 6 of their own brews on tap - a wide selection of styles for just 6 - Porter, sour, Amber, session IPA, Pale ale and a specialty made with truffles. They also had 6 other faucets dedicated to other breweries in Japan and a couple from the States.
I had the Shinjuku Pale ale which was as described. Served in a 360 ml (12.2oz) glass, filled to the rim without head. No foam, but still carbonated to style.
The next beer was the Black Watch Porter. Same size and lack of head. Same matching style and description to taste and mouthfeel was good.
The brewmaster hits the flavor detailed on the menu and what I tasted on the head well. Only thing I could dock points on is the lack of head. Wanted, but serving a 12oz glass for 800¥ (at the time of writing) I am OK there wasn’t.
12-14 seats inside with the same I am outside deck. I would have outdoor deck photos , but it was raining when I visited.
There is also a restaurant upstairs, but I only came for the beer. Good beer it was.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

We came here for lunch and headed straight up to the Kitchen on the 7th floor. The restaurant is a lovely bright space, quite small, but a really good use of the space. We ordered the spicey meatballs, the ribs, the fries and the tortilla chips with dip. The tortilla chips and fries came veg quickly and the meatballs followed soon after but my husband's ribs took ages and if finished my food before he got his. Service for drinks and clear up was very slow and given it wasn't that busy this was surprising. Having said that the beer and food were really good and the atmosphere was very chilled, which is great so close to the chaos that is Shinjuku Station.

Date of visit: March 2018