“Tourist-friendly izakaya”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2018

A typical izakaya where you have to take off your shoes on entering. The food was delicious, especially the signature mackerel which they torch at your table. We chose the 4,000 yen course that includes an all-you-can-drink menu and set food - it was more than enough! Since there are a lot of non-Japanese customers, it felt a little touristy.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

This is a really fun Izakaya in the Shimo-Katazawa neighborhood. I'm not sure if this goes on every night, but when our group was there, we had a $40 per person 12 course "tapas" style meal, with all the sake and beer you can drink. They do put a limit on the service at 2 hours, which is necessary, because this place is crowded and popular with thirsty ex-pats. They do allow smoking so get ready for that. But all in all, it was just fun and you're in Shimokita, which is about the coolest neighborhood in Tokyo anyway - everyone should spend a night there walking the streets.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

I loved the food I ate here - the mackerel, braised beef and karaage were all perfectly cooked, flavoured, and presented. There was nothing to fault in the food.

The atmosphere was also great - a vibrant izakaya with a bar around a central kitchen, and sunken tables for larger groups.

What I did not enjoy was the salad that was presented to us without being asked. Sure, whatever. A complimentary salad. But the receipt had it down as 800 yen. Great. A hidden cover charge. I know this is often the practice for izakayas. But this practice would not be legal in my home country of Australia. So it leaves a bad taste on my mouth.

Talking of bad tastes - the restaurant allows smoking. Again, as an Australian, this really shocks me. Smoking anywhere near food is absolutely not tolerated back home, so you know be aware of this if you don't want to be dining next to somebody blowing smoke in your face.

Perhaps more importantly, I felt the service provided to me was lacking as a foreigner. I have some grasp of Japanese, which means I can usually get through ordering food at Japanese restaurants. But here, I was ignored for quite a while. And then our waiter did come to take my order,

I still feel in balance this was a very good dining experience. But it was let down by the points I've mentioned above.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

A good place for dinner and some
Drinks. Staff are nice. We stayed in the bar area for the full experience. We enjoyed the mackerel, avocado and the shrimp with spicy mayo. Everything we ate tastes perfect.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Must order : flaming mackerel, cheese tofu, fried shrimp with chili mayo sauce, karage with sweet and sour sauce.

We also ordered oden and dry cured chicken which we found it not so special.

Also, great ambience...