“Shake Sack comes to Japan”

Shake Shack Gaien Icho Namiki
Ranked #41 of 11,984 Restaurants in Minato
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Reviewed 20 January 2016

First of all, if you like junk foods such as hamburger, chips or ice cream which is full of calories, here is like a heaven. This shop opened on 15th November 2015, also here is the first place to sell the “Shake Shack” hamburger in Japan. It located in “Jingu Gaien.” As you know Japanese like the new things, for example, new restaurants which come from foreign countries, new clothes stores and so on. This hamburger shop is one of them. Also here is one of the most famous hamburger shops in the US. I've heard almost of all New Yorker know this shop, that's why some Japanese who have eaten them in US longed to eat them in Japan. Now the time is coming.
I ordered “Shake Shack burger” and “chips with cheese.” We have to wait about 5 to 10 minutes to receive them, because they were made after ordered. It means we can eat them hot from oven. Hamburger was not so big than I expected, so if you have courage to eat more bigger one or you are a hamburger lover, you should order double size one. Anyway the taste of “Shake Shack hamburger” was awesome! Fresh vegetables, the breads of hamburger were hot and surprisingly meat was delicious. However unfortunately the cost was little expensive, hamburger was 900yen, chips was 600yen, and drink was 400 to 900yen, if they were more cheap, we needn't worry about anything.
Also the atmosphere of the shop was stylish and modern. There were few tables and chairs in the shop, so I recommend you to look for them before receive the foods, otherwise you miss the hamburger hot from the oven, but as I said it located in “Jingu Gaien” where is the beautiful place of seeing Ginkgos in autumn and also there were some terrace seats outside of the shop. Even if it was cold, the clerk borrowed us blankets, this was wonderful hospitality. Therefore it was comfortable to eat them with seeing beautiful Ginkgos.
Actually I already went there two times. First I went there was on Monday night, there were few people in the shop, so I could buy the hamburger no sooner enter the shop. However, when I went there on Sunday lunch time, there were too many people in front of the shop, it means we had to wait about for 2 or 3 hours to eat them. I don't like to wait for long hours, but I did for delicious hamburger. If you really don't like to waiting, you should go after the boom. Anyway I highly recommend you to go there in the weekday night. Thanks to this hamburger, it changed me the way of thinking about hamburger, because before I eat this, I didn't have strong feeling to hamburger. That's why there is also a possibility that may be change your way of thinking.

Reviewed 4 January 2016

Finally got the chance to go and check out one of the latest and most famous additions to the burger scene in Tokyo, Shake Shack. And, I have to say, the word of the day is 'disappointment'.

This is still one of those 'new in Tokyo' joints where there is generally a long line of people. We got there about 30 minutes before opening and there was already a line building.

First, the good. The location is nice. And, the restaurant itself is attractive with both indoor and terrace seating (60 and 100 seats respectively). Even better, both seating areas are non-smoking. The service was pretty efficient. You place your order and pay, find your seat, and wait for a mobile device to vibrate.

Now, the bad. The last decade has seen an explosion of gourmet hamburger joints all over Tokyo and Japan. Some are average. Others are amazing. To be honest, I went to Shake Shack expecting one of these gourmet burgers, not a fast-food burger. However, a fast-food burger is what I got. A greasy one at that (I opted for a doubleSmoke Stack). Moreover, it wasn't the most flavourful burger I've ever had. In fact, if not for the sauce, it would have been best described as bland. I also had a serving of their crinkle-cut fries and a Coke Zero on the side. The fries were pretty good; crunchy, but not dry. And, unlike most places here, they filled my glass up to the rim even though I ordered with no ice (Japanese places tend to give you the same amount of liquid as usual, sans the ice, resulting in a half-empty cup). My girl had the cheese fries and said they were horrible. It was that nasty bright-yellow cheese that has probably never seen a solid form. Nor, was she impressed with her shake. Both of us were thoroughly disappointed and said we wouldn't bother again. It is a fast-food burger although you pay gourmet-burger prices (more even). Our order came to almost 4,500 yen.

Writing this 6 hours later and I still have that gross 'post McDonald's burger' feeling that I have successfully avoided for a very long time.

If you are after a good gourmet burger that is full of flavour and not a greasy fast-food burger, I suggest you go elsewhere. A shortish walk away in Harajuku you can find The Great Burger which lives up to its name. In the same area, but a definite second choice, there is also Golden Brown.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

I had to come all the way to Japan to sample Shake Shack. Worth the time to get to, and worth the wait in line. Coming from America i have to say that this was one of the best burgers I've had in a long, long time. We waited in line for about 20 minutes before we got to the counter but it didn't seem that long. They brought out menus around the 15-minute mark for you to review. Little pricey, but definitely worth it...

Reviewed 17 December 2015

Try Martiniburger, in Shinjuku! Real burgers, by a real New Yorker. It's great that Shake Shack and other quality New York chains are infiltrating the Tokyo restaurant scene. But try one of the real joints offering personal service, burgers cooked to order.

Reviewed 15 December 2015 via mobile

found out that they just opened shake shack in japan last november, so we went there to introduce it to one of our friends who hasn't tasted it yet. omg! waited in line in the rain for 1 hour just to order and waited a few more minutes just to get tables. the shack stack is the same as i remembered in NY but a little smaller i think. even the shakes are on smaller size but same price. the quality is still top notch and i feel like they made it pricier and smaller. Would i eat it again? definitely. Would i wait again for an hour? probably not. You're still #2 in my heart. (im from LA so i bleed In&Out)