“Cannot Describe how Fantastic this Meal was!”
Review of Sushisho Masa

Sushisho Masa
Ranked #23 of 12,933 Restaurants in Minato
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Reviewed 22 October 2018

I went here with my husband for dinner on our honeymoon. We had an fantastic night there. It was the bust sushi I had ever and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to be try several varieties of exceptional sushi. I cannot wait to come back here again. If you have allergies to shellfish the is able to accommodate without any issues. I would recommend mentioning this at the time of booking.

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 19 October 2018

Sushisho Masa was one of the places on my last Japan trip that I was looking forward to. I had my CC concierge make the reservation and was very excited to get a reservation for my wife and I at 6:00 PM on a Sunday. Typhoon Trami almost derailed it as many restaurants were cancelling on that day. However, it is a testament to Oka-san and his wonderful staff as they all said that they felt an obligation to people who reserved their restaurant that day to open.

Having read other reviews, we were definitely looking forward to a night of exquisitely prepared and delicious food. Sushiso Masa did not disappoint. We wanted to make sure we were there on time so we took a taxi from our hotel in Shinagawa. The ride was under 20 minutes and our taxi driver even made sure we found the proper entrance. At 6:00 pm, the restaurant opened and we entered it with great anticipation. That night, only 6 of the 7 seats were occupied.

The staff there were very attentive and quite multi-national. Our primary server was a swede who has lived in Japan for almost 2 years. His English was very good. All together, there were 5 people working in the restaurant. Oka-san showed up at the counter shortly and we started on his culinary journey.

It would take too long to describe all the dishes that we had. I can say that I truly enjoyed every single thing that was put in front of me. The experienced is enhanced when you can see the care that Oka-san put into preparing each piece of fish, shrimp, and shell fish. With each piece, we are given instructions on how to eat it, shown a picture of what we are eating, and a little explanation about how it was prepared. Our tray was also wiped down after every piece to make sure it is ready for the next piece.

Due to the typhoon, Oka-san and his staff explained that they were not able to get as many variety of fish. So, he gave us different cuts of fish that is usually not served in most restaurants. It was amazing and I doubt that I would ever be able to eat those sushi again unless I'm back at Sushisho Masa. My wife and I counted up the number of pieces we were served and it was an impressive 47 pieces. One of the chefs told us that it is rare for everyone at the counter to finish all the sushi that is served. I find that hard to believe because it was so good that I doubt I could have stopped myself!

Sushisho Masa was one of the most expensive meals I had while in Japan. They do take credit card but prefer cash. With that said, I can't wait to go back there again. If you come here with an open mind towards trying everything, you won't leave disappointed. The combination of the food and the attentiveness of the chefs makes you feel completely welcomed and at home. I cannot recommend Sushisho Masa enough!

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank SANsna
Reviewed 5 October 2018

My husband and I are sushi connoisseurs and most definitely this was the best sushi we have had. Everything was so fresh and served perfectly. Each piece was explained not only from its source but also ow to eat it. We were there for over 2 hours and wish it lasted longer! The entire staff was wonderful. Can not wait to visit Tokyo again and make our first stop at Sushisho Masa.

Thank you Chef Masa, Sebastian and staff

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to get a reservation here not too long ago, and this was by far the best dining experience we’ve ever had. Words cannot adequately explain how amazing our meal was. When you spend that much money you really don’t want your experience to end in 15-30 minutes like other high end sushi joints do based on reviews we read. Chef Masa is a true artist! My wife and I had about 50 courses for our dinner and each piece was absolutely delicious and made with care. Chef Masa also has foreign staff there to explain each piece he serves you and to have conversations while dining for his foreign customers. Chef Masa himself likes to engage with you even if you don’t speak Japanese and likes to tell you what he’s serving. This is truly a nice gesture as other sushi restaurants apparently don’t bother to go out of their way to try and cater to non-Japanese speaking diners. We would definitely welcome the opportunity to go back and dine here again, and if you are thinking of eating here and get a reservation you will not be disappointed! Just be courteous and go with an appetite and you’ll have a memorable experience for sure. The quality and taste of the food, and the attention to detail from Chef Masa and his staff is truly amazing!

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Ka Ying and G
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

To say that we were dining in a shoebox would be an understatement. As the sushi counter table and room was small (7 guests only at one time), we worried that it could be a stuffy, stressful meal with the chef staring down at us as we pop each sushi into our mouths. None of that.

Chef Masa was chatty, wryly humorous and keen to share his astounding knowledge of fish and seafood, it was an culinary education we never knew we needed! The dinner felt like something we would talk about for years to come.

Would recommend this Sushi legend to anyone, anytime.

Date of visit: March 2018