“¥€$, ¥€$, ¥€$!”

The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo
Ranked #6 of 116 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Reviewed 28 March 2012

So it's not cheap, but Intercontis rarely are (although this is one of the more expensive Incontis I've stayed in).

But the hotel fights to be completely worth it at every turn:

1) the views are lovely
2) the restaurant (although pricey, especially the Chinese places wine list) is excellent, had the spring rolls followed by the spicy fried shrimp...yum yum yum
3) the staff are perfect
4) the work out area is smallish, but the running machines provide unbeatable views whilst running 26 stories above the city...on a clear day, I could see Mt Fugi
5) there was a small question of pricing for a night extension, and the hotel handled it immediately and seamlessly without discussion (high five to the front desk manager!)
6) Dean&Deluca downstairs in the base of the building was a nice surprise;)
7)Wifi worked great, and my MacBook Air was grateful (as was my girlfriend for the steady Skype connection)

8) But my biggest compliment goes to Ben (Johnson?). I work in the industry, and have known a lot of concierges in my 10 years in tourism. He's one of the best I've dealt with, certainly the best so far in Japan. If someone else is working the concierge desk, ask them when Ben is coming back on and wait to mine him for data. The man is a knowledge machine, and must secretly read minds to know exactly what to recommend to set you on your way. Never a moments feeling he'd sell us on for any sort of commission, no sponsored leaflets being handed out. The guy was 100% correct, and gave recommendations based on experience and heart. Get him to mark up a map for you, and cherish his advice. His help made us decide to extend our stay another night. Three cheers for Ben.

Negatives:

1) It's a little south of where you want to be, but with terrific train connection
2) the chinese restaurant staff don't speak English, but the menus are in English, so not an issue
3) The exchange rate at the hotel isn't good, but once again Ben came through and recommended a bank on the 2nd floor which had a superb exchange rate, best we'd had yet

So...if you can afford it, stay here....room 2810 had good views, but I'd heard some rooms a little higher might have been sweeter...I'd certainly stay here again, and would recommended it to any friend with the budget to do so as well.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris_Sandeman

Dear Chris_Sandeman,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review on Trip Advisor!!! Wow!!

It gives me great pleasure reading the wonderful comments from our guests who have enjoyed every aspect of our hotel as much as you did and our colleagues do take great pride in providing the best service they possibly can to our guests.

It was a true pleasure for us to be able to share many in the know, “Tokyo Moments” and to help you to find unique experiences while in Tokyo. I am extremely pleased to know that you found this service worthy of an extra night in our hotel.

We have shared your many comments with our team members and we truly hope that there is an opportunity in the near future to welcome you back, and help to discover more of this amazing metropolis!

Sincerely yours,

Ben Johnson

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed March 21-23, 2012 on business. Signs in English for the hotel were clear on the 2nd-floor walkway, which in Tokyo is a welcome difference if one doesn't read Japanese. Room was comfortable, climate control worked well, and the hotel was convenient to my office and the train station. Bathroom amenities were great, and the shower/bath in a separate enclosure was a great design. Breakfast vouchers were included in the room rate, and breakfast in the lobby hotel was varied, well-prepared, and easy. Great attentive staff, and English was not a problem.

As noted in the title, though, if you need to print boarding passes, be prepared for a surprise. The "business center" (CHATS) is 3 old Dell desktops machines (one in English, fortunately) and a copier/printer. The PC was crashed when I came in, but I was able to reboot without issue. Logged into the airline site, got ready to print the boarding passes, and then came the surprise - the printer needed 40 Yen per page to print! So, back to my room, got 80 Yen, came back to the business center, at which point I realized the usage instructions on the printer were in Japanese only. Fortunately, staff were available to help me negotiate the prompts, and I was able to print both boarding passes. However, in a hotel where my room rate was 22,400 Yen per night, having to pay to print a boarding pass is really a jarring note.

To leave this review on a positive note, though, there was a very nice and thoughful touch provided by the hotel. My birthday was on March 21, and I checked in just before midnight on the 21st. When I returned to my room on the 22nd, there was a birthday bear on my bed (photo attached), along with a card. Very thoughtful touch, and appreciated.

I'll definitely return to this hotel (since the rate was under our corporate caps and the hotel is so convenient).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WinterVacationer

Dear WinterVacationer,

Thank you very much for your extremely detailed feedback and for celebrating your birthday with us!

We are very pleased to know that you were able to easily locate our hotel and found the location convenient for business. I would agree with you as well on our comfortable rooms, great design.

We apologize for the inconvenience of the computers and printing in our business centre and have passed your comments onto our management team. Should you require assistance on your next stay our Concierge team will be more than happy to assist with printing boarding passes for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shinagawa in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

Lovely hotel, great location next door to Singawa train station (direct link to Narita via Narita Express) literally 5 mins walk to hotel from train station, also linked to bullet train and subway network.

Hotel is lovely, standard 'smaller' Japanese rooms but very well appointed.

Usual high standards you would expect with top Intercontinental Brand however bar pricing and especially lobby coffee's etc is eye watering 2483 Yen for a simple coffee (£18.90!!) so be aware!

Room Tip: Get your wallet out
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Jacmac00,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the positive comments.

We have passed on your comments about bar prices, however at the time of your stay coffee was priced at approximately JPY 1,260 per cup of illy coffee, which is what most hotels in Tokyo charge for standard coffees.

We do look forward to welcoming your return once again.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

Stayed here at the beginning of winter in November. Arrived at 10am via Narita Express, and was asked to wait for 15 min for our rooms, which was fine with us as it was not yet 2pm, the official check in time. Room was pretty much what you expect from an InterCon, but I like the bathroom, where there is a clear separation between the wet and dry area. Location of hotel at Shinagawa is fantastic, just 5 min walk from the JR and Shinkansen station which links you to pretty much the rest of Tokyo and Japan, and being close to a main interchange such as Shinagawa means that there are many options for meals, snacks, drinks etc even late at night. (I highly recommend the Ramen street at the other side of Shinagawa station along Tanakawa). Service is fantastic, the staff really tried their best in helping us with our queries, they even managed to help us secure tickets to the Studio Ghibli museum in Mitaka and even printed out the maps and rail routes. Would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear GetawayJunkie,

We are very glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and thank you for recommending us!

As you discovered our access from airports and for sightseeing in and around Tokyo is unrivalled located next to Tokyo's newest transport hub with direct access from Narita airport. Shinagawa continues to improve with over 300 options for dining or drinking and our Concierge team members are always here to help with recommendations and bookings. We have shared your wonderful comments with our team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to Toky

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Strings whilst on a two week business trip to Tokyo.

Simply put, the service was nothing short of fantastic. In this respect, I'll have to single out Ben Johnson in the concierge who was incredibly helpful for the duration of our stay. Can I also say that the use of iPads to give directions via Google Street View was genuinely cool!

The hotel and the rooms are spotless, the meals fantastic and the atmosphere within the hotel peaceful. I really couldn't have asked for more and have no hesitations recommending the hotel and its staff to all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank 454Mark

Dear 454Mark,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such positive and detailed feedback of your stay with us.

It was my absolute pleasure to be of service during your stay and our team pride themselves on our local knowledge to connect you with authentic and enriching experiences in Tokyo. Our team were also delighted to hear your comments about our fantastic food, atmosphere and to know you were so comfortable during your long stay.

We hope to welcome you back soon so we can share more of our Tokyo secrets with you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
Park Hotel Tokyo
#1 of 116 in Minato
Shinagawa / Gotanda
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo

Been to The Strings by InterContinental Tokyo? Share your experiences!