“So fresh that the shrimp jumped off the plate...”
Review of Sazanka - MOVED

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shinbashi Shiodome, Odaiba
Reviewed 29 June 2015

Having your own expert chef cooking your food right in front of you was quite an experience. We went for a "mid-range" menu, which gave us a nice combination of seafood, meat and vegetables, all cooked to perfection by our master chef. The shrimp was so fresh that it was still moving on the plate - and finally jumped off it - before it was being placed on the grill. The meat was well seasoned and very juicy and tender. The flames from the oil they poured on it made it all the more impressive. It all comes at a relatively high price, but this is Tokyo after all, and if you are inclined to splurge this is not a bad place to do it.

Reviewed 27 June 2015 via mobile

My wife and I have lived across from okura for 5 months and finally made it. Very limited seating so reservations a must. I would call this pricey but food wise worth it. Service was ok but not to standard of pricing. Water wadntvrrfreshed without prodding. Chef did most of the service and he was amazing. Top tier fresh food cooked perfect. I ordered beef set and my wife ordered seafood set w lobster. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 April 2015

As expected with teppanyaki, you sit at a bar at the stove side where all sorts of wonderful action takes place and when it's done, you have the tasty results to eat. I went a la carte and ordered the 100 oz. Kobe beef fillet. Along with it, I ordered the accompanying set which means slightly less food and lower price but that was more than enough for me.

First, there is an appetizer followed by a salad, I had the Sazanka Special Salad, which was delicious. As you are eating, the chef is cutting and preparing the vegetables and some sliced garlic in that teppanyaki way. (Luckily for me, there was a larger party going the whole route so I could see a much larger selection being prepared.)
The vegetables are served lightly grilled and while you are eating them, the chef slices and cooks the fillet, the ribeye or the sirloin you have chosen, either Kobe beef or prime Japanese beef. This is flamed off with brandy. Then as you eat the tender, juicy and oh, so delicious beef accompanied by the garlic slices that look like curled slivers of pearl, the chef prepares the fried rice using the ends of the beef he had trimmed off earlier. This style of fried rice may be the best you've ever had. The meal ends with Sazanka's miso soup and it will be the best you have ever had.

The a la carte set from their website:

Please choose one from among the following.
(Sazanka Special Salad/Combination Salad/Crabmeat Salad/Seaweed Salad)
Seasonal Grilled Vegetables
Garlic Rice
Soybean Soup
Japanese Pickles

Complete sets can also include lobster, prawns, abalone, crab, fois gras, or caviar, plus dessert, petit fours, and coffee. If price is an issue, lunch looks a bit better on the pocket book.

(Caveat: sometimes you just have to throw hygiene standards out the window. Certainly the food is of high quality and the actual technique impeccable. I just have a problem when the guy doing the cooking, right in front of you, repeatedly wipes his nose with his hand and keeps on cooking. I do expect better training.)

2  Thank moniker11
Reviewed 12 April 2015 via mobile

It is meal my family with meat and is this restaurant by all means.
Here is not showy, and performance expresses the characteristic of this restaurant, too.
It is the restaurant which is excellent in Tokyo that can enjoy good-quality beef and wine.
Of course without, after a meal, forgetting to enjoy Havana cigar in a bar.

Reviewed 17 February 2015

When the teppanyaki chef placed the shrimp on the red hot teppanyaki grill, it was still moving. That's how fresh our dinner was. We had a choice of sirloin or fillet for our beef orders. Like masters in their craft, the chefs chopped, seared and grilled away, a few inches away from us. Everything was stupendous. The Okura Hotel is considered an architectural landmark by many with its hallmark 70's lobby and stark exterior. But others have disagreed and have decided to tear it down to give way to a new hotel. so enjoy this mid-century gem while it's still there.

4  Thank LEONX108