“Just okay and really expensive”

Katsura - Steak House
Ranked #258 of 11,652 Restaurants in Minato
Price range: US$50 - US$200
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We were guests at the hotel and decided to eat in one night. The set menu for two was close to 40000 yen (ouch) and that was with a hotel guest discount and no alcohol.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

This was my first visit to Japan, and having traveled from Coast to Coast and Back across Japan, I had to treat myself. I’d bulleted thru Kobe on my way back to Tokyo without a taste, but I could not leave Japan without actually having a precious cow in my belly. I was staying at the Prince, and after a day of photographing the area for my portfolio, I gave in to my curiosity and read the posted lunch menu for Katsura. After going to freshen up, I came back down and took the leisurely stroll (chomping at the bit, really) to peruse that menu, again.

Would I really pay so much for steak, I asked myself? I’d hate to regret it, after all. After a few moments more, I assessed my budget (I had underspent) and walked in. Amid the niceties of Japanese culture, I was guided to a nice table with a view of the garden outside at midday.

I settled on the mid level Kobe steak, which was second tier of three, price-wise, which was still a tad high for lunch... but Oh, was it ever worth it! I did not video the teppanyaki preparation, but I captured snapshots via the iPhone and included it as one of the highlights of my visit. Talk about punctuating the culinary aspect of Japan!

I’ll be back... top-tier, next time.

Thanks for exceeding my expectations of service, quality and atmosphere.

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Had dinner after a very long trip and although expensive the experience/food was worth it. I had the recommended dinner menu that started with some kobe beef appetizers, followed by grilled sea food (in front of you)-- scallops and avalon (a big oyster-grilled), followed by teppanyaki Kobe beef along with vegetables, rice also cooked in front of you with garlic, miso soup, dessert (sweat beans moose) and coffee. REALLY GOOD

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Best steak ever-wagyu beef. Traditional preparation. No commercial show with flying food. Was pretty crowded. Thoroughly pleased.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

Went there for my family holiday dinner. I knew beforehand that this restaurant was overpriced as it's a part of Grand Prince Hotel property and I checked that many YELP customers were complaining about the service and price, however, we were staying near by and wanted to give a try.

Greeting: They greeted us nicely and escorted us to our table right away.

Dinner: We had Kobe wagyu steaks, salad, Foie Gras, king crab, a glass of champaign. The foie Gras and steak were great, the cook came to our table and cooked them for us in the front of us for our likings. The salad was horrible. I never had such a no-effort, tame salad in Japan before.

The total bill was $600 for 3 people. Not worth it.