See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

I was very disappointed to stay in this hotel. We travelled as a group of 36 and specifically asked for non smoking rooms, removal of alcohol from vending machines because of minors and asked to stay together in one wing as we had to supervise the children for four nights. None of these requests were honored on the day we arrived. Raising these complaints, the manager did not seem to be bothered at all by our complaints.He was plain rude and when we asked for a refund as we had to move the team to a better hotel, he would hear none of this. We eventually managed to convince him to refund some percentage through lobbying but stayed with 12 members of the team while the 24 moved to another hotel.The manager still did not recognise the fact that 24 were moved and he insisted there were 22 who moved. He became extremely unfriendly,shouting at one of our members, which was highly unprofessional and not according to Japanese customs. They are more interested in your money and not giving valuable service! They basically said you cannot expect high standards for the 80usd per head per night as this is what you get for this amount...I would expect such a response from a 40usd hotel.The rooms they call non smoking are not non smoking.There are people who smoke outside on the corridors. According to them, non smoking means not smoking in the room.They don't take responsibility for someone smoking outside your door and smoke coming into your room. If you are asthmatic, they take no responsibility and become defensive. In the morning the corridor is full of smoke. Health and safety isn't a priority for the management of this hotel.The sinks had cracks, and the rooms were extremely small and stuffy. In the end they didn't remove the alcohol.It was waste of time and money. We did not enjoy even a single bit staying in this hotel.The only reason I haven't given them a zero is because there's no place to put one, and also their breakfast was decent.Don't bother booking your group in this low standard hotel!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Nick M
sumisho, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Sumisho Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2017

I’m afraid the reality of the situation is not what you described to us.
We did not receive any request for non-smoking room, removal of the alcoholic drinks, nor the room arrangement from the person who made the reservation.
Also, we do own a floor of smoking rooms. If you had notified your request in the first place, we could have provided you one without any hesitation.
However, she hasn’t notified us your request.
We have record of all the e-mails from her, so we have evidence to show if necessary.
When you changed the hotel, we have checked with her in regards to the number of guests, and she confirmed them to be correct.
We are placed in this very hard situation due to her selfish behavior.
We have been hosting so many types of groups from Japan as well as from various countries, but we have never experienced trouble like this so far.
We are terribly disappointed

Reviewed 23 August 2016

This is the Japanese style hotel.
Specially they have big public Japanese style bath room.
I like this style. it's makes me good feeling.
Location is good. it could reach by walk from TOKYO station also subway station.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2015

This is my 4th trip to Japan and I should have known better and sprung for more when making room reservations in Tokyo. I am too old for this kind of accommodations.

Sumisho Hotel is tiny and dingy. The room reaked of cigarette smoke. You get what you pay for in Tokyo, I am certain of that now. The only good thing is that it is located a short distance from Tokyo station on a taxi ride.

Next time I will spring for more in Tokyo.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 February 2015

There is nothing amazing about this hotel, the best features of which are probably its proximity to transport. If you arrive at Tokyo station it's a short and relatively cheap taxi ride (probably too far for most people to walk with bags though); however if you understand how the train system works it's possible to catch a Keisei Sky Access Line train from the airport (NOT the Skyliner) that goes direct to the nearby Ningyocho station (or reverse). It is also close to Mitsukoshimae station which broadens the options for transport to other parts of town.

The hotel has a small onsen but it operates limited hours. Staff speak some but not much English. A Japanese-style breakfast is available, as is a wi-fi service. There is a reasonable selection of restaurants available nearby although the area is not particularly well adapted for non-Japanese speakers.

Rooms are not great and the hotel is a bit run down. In particular it is disappointing that some of the rooms have clearly had smokers in them. Rooms have limited space (as is common in Tokyo); I stayed in a room that had acceptable space for 2 people but which became very cramped when they added a third bed. I have stayed in nicer rooms in Tokyo in this price bracket.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2014

We've been to Japan many times and have stayed in many different types of hotels (western and traditional, one star to five star), and this is the first hotel I can say was really terrible - musty, dank, unclean. The staff were predictably very nice and apologetic and even changed our tatamis one night, but we could barely sleep because of the lingering smell.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family