“Japanese Roast Beef Bowl”

Roast Beef Ono Akihabara
Ranked #167 of 8,177 Restaurants in Chiyoda
Neighbourhood: Kanda, Akihabara, Ochanomizu
Neighbourhood: Kanda, Akihabara, Ochanomizu
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve seen this place with a line every time I pass by. You can tell that lots of locals come here and the prices are affordable. Definitely worth a try but not worth squeezing in another visit before my trip ends! It’s interesting because they have video and picture instructions on the menu on how to eat this meal. They basically are making sure you try all the options. The ox tail soup was the perfect palate cleanser, resets your taste buds nicely. Overall it was a great beef bowl, a nice change to hot beef beef bowls.

1  Thank mhhtse

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

l was looking a sushi bar and found here.
small cosy place, like everywhere in Tokyo..You may wait on the que,but worth it. They prepare on a rice base and visually amazing..The only point l am not agree is meat served cold.. Veryyyyyyyyy delicious.
Verrrryyyyy polite every staff working there. Acceptable price.. Enjoy))

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Was hungry while exploring Akihabara and found this through Google Maps. We ordered the Japanese beef, queued for about 30mins. Surprisingly, the eating tables are big and comfortable!

We're quickly served with what we ordered while queueing. The chef explained how to enjoy it but we don't really understand Japanese so we just follow the guide.

Overall it's a superb food!! The beef melts and so soft that it's not stuck on my teeth haha

Reviewed 11 December 2017

This is a small restaurant and it sits about 20 at most, so go earlier before meal times so you can get a seat.

Food wise, it is VERY VERY GOOD. Get the kobe beef option and it costs about 1500 yen before tax for the smaller bowl with 140g of beef. Taste wise, hard to describe but it is just too good. The beef melts in your mouth and goes fantastically well with the rice and sauce. Service is great too and the service staff will explain to you the best way to eat this dish.

I highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 2 May 2017

It was our first full day in Japan, and we were just getting acclimated. We were a group of five (three teens) and we needed somewhere to eat. Most of the restaurants were very small, and it looked like it would be tough for us to sit together. The kids were intimidated. So we came across this place that had a line outside. We looked at a photo. Roast beef? We can handle that. We asked the person managing the line if they could fit five. She didn't really speak English, but we managed to communicate. They really only serve one dish: very rare roast beef in a mound atop a bowl of rice with a raw (although it cooks a bit from the heat of the meat) egg atop, with a sauce. You can choose a size and a type of beef, but that's it. They took our order in line (which makes sense) and after not too long a wait, we were seated at a counter, but all together. The restaurant is actually in a basement, but it is an attractive space, and you can watch the chef in action as you wait. It was not the easiest thing to eat with chopsticks for the novices in our crew, but we managed. It was delicious. Really good. The beef was so tender, the sauce really tasty, the egg added just the right little accent. It was different, but not so different for our picky teens who were just getting started in Japan. We had much more adventurous meals later in the trip, but this was a great start.

Where our meal became truly memorable was when right after we were served, I said to my husband, who had taken cash out of an ATM earlier "they probably don't take credit cards, but you have cash, right?" A question one should ask before being served. Not enough cash, so as soon as I finished, I ran out to get cash, but no ATM that I could find took our international cards. My husband tried to explain to the staff what was happening, but they didn't understand. I'm sure they were getting annoyed at my husband taking up a seat (he sent the kids outside) while I tried to find money, but were too polite to say anything. Finally, I found a currency exchange machine and had just enough American cash to cover the meal! Phew! Lesson learned, and a meal we'll never forget. But mostly because it was delicious.

1  Thank jeannie2nyc