“Good Location if you are with a car”

Holiday Inn Express Porto-Exponor
Reviewed 19 December 2011

This is by far the cheapest hotel location you could find in Porto with such a high standard. The hotel is on the way from the Porto Airport to the City Center. You can easily reach it with the high way, its next to the Exponor Exhobition Grounds. During my stay, there was a Classic Car Exposition. Day before I arrived at this location, I checked the internet rate which came up to be 45 EUR, as I did not reserve it at that time I thought I would have to pay the normal rate of 70 EUR, but to my surprise once I told at the check in that the rate was 45 EUR, they agreed upon it. The hotel is fairly new with standard Holiday Inn Express Rooms and bathrooms, you would not need more for such a short stay. We were recomended by the stuff to visit a local street with all the great fish restaurants where I ate Grill Sole with some garlic spinach - amazing taste for a fair price. As to the location, you can park the car on the hotel grounds without extra charge. As in each and every HIE the breakfast is included in the rate - it gave a good start to the day. The only problem is with the location, it is far from the Historic Part of the town, so if you don't have a car, don't bother to stay here. On my way back from Vigo I have stayed again at this place.

Room Tip: You can use PC's for no extra charge next to the reception desk
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tomasztomczuk
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Porto-Exponor

Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed one night while waiting for our connecting flight. I agree with Sweetviking's review except that on my stay I did not get free wifi.
Porto was very nice, I wish I had more time to explore it. The bus service is excellent. The cheapest way to the hotel is to take the bus. The 601 bus right outside the airport leaves you a the door of the hotel after a 20 minute ride (Assoc. Emp. Portugal stop right after the Exponor stop). The same bus line takes you to the city center which was a nice little excursion. To return you take the same bus line at the final stop downtown and 20 minutes later you'll be back at the hotel. The buses work until midnight. To go back to the airport, take bus 601 which passes by twice an hour (1.75 euros for a one way ticket). It is comfortable trip even with some bags.
The hotel staff was very nice and helpful. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Breakfast as described by MikeLizT.
I agree that tourist may want to stay closer to the city center but if this is the most affordable option, given the excellent bus service and the 20 minute ride each way, choosing this holiday inn express may be a good idea. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Maybe it was because the other experience I had in the Holiday Inn of Gaia had been so nice that this one was so disappointing. I chose this hotel because I had business to attend nearby and I only stayed one night. Of course it is a 3 star and it shows. Although it is so modern, the rooms and beds are quite small and they offer no bathroom ammenities at all not even the shower cap or a small soap if you do not like to wash your hands with shower gel on dispenser. After a tiresome meeting I retrned to the hotel at 10,30 pm and asked if they had something that I could eat. No cafeteria or room service only a vending machine wher I bought a sandwich,The receptionist said there were several restaurants not very far away but I did not feel like going out so late and alone.The other option, he said, was to order from pizza hut because they delivered to the hotel. The only good think was the coffee and tea perculator in the room and the pillows on the bed. Even the parking space was mostly occupied and I had to look for a far away place to park when I arrived in the evening.The other people that attended that meeting stayed in Tripp hotel and had a more pleasant experience so next time I will also go to that hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed here 2 nights to visit Porto.
There was a lot of free parking space in front of the hotel and there is also a busstop in front. The ride to the centre take 20minutes and is not expensive (1,75 euro per ride).
The hotel staff was very friendly, when arriving we were asked if it was the first time in Porto and because it was the first time, we got information on Porto and info on what bus to take,...
The room was,like the other Holiday inn Express hotels we stayed in, rather modern and clean.
The breakfast was good and enough choice (only the orange juice didn't have much taste when we were there).
There was wireless lan available which I tried to use with my mobile, but in the evening it was very slow, in the morning it was less slower, but still slow.
But nevertheless it was a good value for money to spend your nights there when visiting Porto.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sweetviking
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed a night when we flew in on holiday. It is a 12 euro ride from the airport. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the beach and some good places to eat.

The rooms are what you would expect, clean and comfortable. The staff were very welcoming and breakfast was an 'extended continental' i.e. there was also cheese and ham.
The plus for us was that they have a car hore company in the hotel 'Aluvia' so the oick up was easy and then they drove us to the airport on return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Urban Hotel Amadeos
#5 of 6 in Matosinhos
5.1 km away
Park Hotel Porto Aeroporto

Been to Holiday Inn Express Porto-Exponor? Share your experiences!