“You probably can't do better at any price”

O Vello Cabalo Furado
Ranked #9 of 50 Restaurants in Tui
Reviewed 2 December 2016

I have to admit that O Vello Cabalo Furado is a regular haunt when we're in Tui, as it is for the locals, but that's for a reason. Why would you go elsewhere when you can eat so well for so little (we tried eating elsewhere once to save two euros, but we regretted it, and we tried eating somewhere more expensive, and regretted that as well)? We've got into the Spanish habit of making a choice from the set daytime menu our main meal of the day, that's a starter and main course and wine/water and coffee/dessert at just EUR 9.50. At first sight, the place doesn't look like much, you'll probably think you've walked into a community centre by mistake, but persevere. The starters are not only delicious but they are often meals in themselves and the main course will definitely fill any empty spaces you might have left over. But it's not about quantity, of course, it's all good stuff just like your grandmother used to make, if she was Galician, using local produce and imagined she was competing for a culinary prize. You'll also have a choice of traditional dishes and desserts and the house wine isn't to be sniffed at either. My Galician family in law all had the Caldo Galego, a traditional meat, bean and vege soup for the starter while I had the Lentejas Vegetales (vege and brown lentil soup) and for the main course, two of us had two different traditional meat dishes (I dunno what they were, I'm a pisco-vegetarian, but my brother-in-law, who used to be a restaurant manager himself, said that the meat was exceptionally succulent), mum-in-law had the merluza al plancha (grilled hake) and I had raya a la galego (ray in typical red pepper oil). All served with home-made boiled potatoes or chips. My only criticism would be that, like the rest of Spain, they seem to think that a bit of salad by the main course serves as vege, so use the starters to get your fibre intake. And then the dessert! One of the owners fancies himself as an artist, and his talent isn't limited to the art on the wall. As well as tremendous Tarta de Santiago, Tarta de Queso, etc, you might also be treated to a few experiements. To sum up, if you want to fill-up healthily on meals you would normally expect in an exclusive establishment for a budget price, come here.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

We were looking for a place to dine and chanced upon this restaurant. We were looking for a tapas place but didn't find any, and my friends and I thought this was a good alternative.

What a good find ... friendly staff, some of whom are trying to learn English but are, nevertheless, service-oriented. I ordered the soup with kale in it, the beans and tripe, and a dessert (I forget its name but it is similar to creme brulee). All were delicious and tasty. And it didn't cost as much as I thought it would.

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

Great mushrooms and croquettes of ham. A nice surprise passing through Tui! Atmosphere is very familiar. Entry to the restaurant looks a bit small from the outside, but actually has a big dining room in the back.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

We just stumbled over this place searching for a place to lunch. Just what we wanted , a huge room with good place for the group of 15. The place was nearly empty this rainy saturday a little late for lunch. But the staff was eager and entusiatic, a little difficult because of the language, we did not speak spanish and the staff just little english, the trout we believed we ordered become a mackerel and stew were a soup. But the food was tasty, the house-wine good and the atmosphere splendid , and the bill - surprisingly low.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

There are three restaurants with similar names; Vello Cabalo, Novo Cabalo, and Cabalo. This is the older one that, as the previous reviewer says, doesn't look like much. But the langoustinos (big shrimp) were fabulous, simply cooked in the shells with lemon and oil, and the bacalhau grilled was good too, with those wonderful potatoes that seem to be infused with olive oil. And with an unlabeled bottle of the local white for 6 euros, it was all a great bargain. They don't speak much English, but you don't need much. We were the only people there at 8, but by the time we left at 9, there were several family groups.

1  Thank jeanfrombos2n