Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Passing visit.

We popped up to Gretna, to say we'd been whilst staying in Kendal. Whilst heading to Hadrians Wall... read more

Reviewed 20 July 2020
S4281CNrichardm
Ings, United Kingdom
via mobile
Worth a visit.

Visited here with a friend and my 9 year old son. There is an excellent variety of civilian and... read more

Reviewed 30 June 2020
PWMcC
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom

All reviews blue streak military aircraft great afternoon guided tour cockpit plane vulcan volunteers exhibits cumbria
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 August 2019 via mobile

Brilliant museum, run with great enthusiasm, lots of details and interesting exhibits. Best of all you can get into a Vulcan and Canberra.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank maxi798
Reviewed 22 July 2019 via mobile

I was told about this place by a family member and as something of an Aviation aficionado I was eager to check it out.

Having visited the excellent museum of flight at east fortune , my daughter was a little disappointed that you could not access the Vulcan.

So after a little research we found Solway Aviation Museum, where we were allowed on the Vulcan & given a great tour of it , and had its history explained to us by the friendly guides.

This really made my 8yr old daughters day getting to see all of this. The other aircraft here are great as well and it’s nice to see some rarer , more leftfield aircraft like the Canberra on display (which you can also board)

A personal highlight was the exhibits from spadeadam - a part of Britain’s short lived rocket/space program.

Seeing the engines up close & part of the rocket body outside , as well as the interactive history of the staff at woomera rocket range.

Completely Spoiled for choice here.

Enjoyed it so much I bought a membership & will most definitely return.

And you should too!

Reviewed 17 July 2019 via mobile

My brother and I visited this museum after googling something to do nearby to where we were staying and it was a great find. Fantastic value for money and we spent a long time here as there is so much to see. Particularly enjoyed getting to go inside the Vulcan.
Thoroughly recommend this place, great exhibits and very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Reviewed 14 July 2019 via mobile

Well signed and easy to find, this is a well run museum with many interesting aircraft some of which are open and you are encouraged to get inside. The Vulcan is impressive and a tour inside it is well worth taking.
They have various displays in the buildings of engines and a wide range of equipment.
The gift shop is well stocked and very reasonably priced, hot drinks and snacks are available.
At the moment they are open on Fridays and weekends but if they had more volunteers available they would open on more days.
The entry price of £6 is very good value.
We will definately return for another visit.

Reviewed 13 July 2019

I gave a glowing review last year, and went back again with two of the brood, plus Pippin the dog, this year.

The museum hasnt changed much, but the Hunter is being stripped for repainting, and there is an interesting exhibition about Barnes Wallis (of Dambusters bouncing bomb fame, but actually he did much, much more.

We all enjoyed the walk around the outside aircraft and Pippin left his official seal of approval on many of them (See pictures), and the Vulcan cockpit visit was excellent.

One hanger is both dog and child friendly, so the boys got into the Chipmunk and Pippin tried to climb on, ignoring the "No Step" signs on the wings (to be fair, they showed shoe, not paw, prints).

A good gift shop for all ages and tastes, and some of the best staff (all volunteers) I have met. All enjoyed themselves immensely.