“Lovely food 2nd time round”
Review of Kealys Seafood Bar

Kealys Seafood Bar
Price range: US$14 - US$56
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We had been here last summer for a meal but we weren't able to do it justice as we had eaten a large lunch. We promised to return one day. We got the opportunity to return as my husband was playing in a golf competition in Castlerock on the Sunday. We booked in for an evening meal which we thoroughly enjoyed. We ordered 2 different types of mussels as we both fancied them & shared. They served really lovely homemade bread with it. I had the monkfish & my husband had turbot. Both were gorgeous, though I think the monkfish was the best of the two.
As we have a motorhome we were staying in the car park opposite, near where the ferry comes in as were getting it across the lough the following morning. Unfortunately our evening in Greencastle was spoiled by drunken thugs who attacked our motorhome at 4.30am breaking one window & damaging another, not to mention absolutely terrifying us! The local garda (police) who attended the incident assured us that this was extremely rare. We were obviously unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 25 June 2017

We have been going to Kealys for years, ie in the time of the late James Kealy and it was always very good, the last time we were there was on Mothers Day and they had a new and excellent menu, the food was superb. We only managed to get back to it today, upon seeing the menu I couldn't believe it a very basic menu, there was nothing on the starters we could eat I asked the waitress if we could order egg mayo and she said they had no eggs., so I ordered haddock and chips (which in the past would have been excellent) husband ordered hake with chips and a side salad, the chips were awful, the haddock and the hake the same,if this is now their standards will not be back in it. its no wonder there was only 4 other people there. A friend of ours used to say why would you drive to greencastle for a fish supper, but back then it was well worth the drive and the price. Kealeys you really need to up your game, this was as poor a meal as we have had in a long time.

4  Thank caoimhenireland
Reviewed 25 June 2017

My boyfriend and I came across the signs while staying in Redcastle and looking for good seafood. When we pulled up and we saw the outside our hearts dropped and we considered running the other way but I am so glad we didn't, the place is amazing! Beautiful views out to the water, friendly attentive staff who clearly know the menu very well and a great selection of wine. The breads were amazing, even the hummus dip was incredible. The crab was so delicate and fresh and the salmon was beautifully smoked. Plaice was on as a special and it was simply devine served with anchovy butter. The portions were generous and it was defeinitly not overpriced for the quality of product you're receiving. Will be telling all my friends about this restaurant and hopefully be back soon for more!

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Now living in Belfast I had surprised hubby with a wee four day break away to Inishowen. Imagine my delight when reading the What to Do...Where to Go...and Eat (the usual stuff you get in hotels), I discovered, fish lover that I am, that in this part of the world, I would be spoiled for choice. However, having arrived on the Tuesday, I was going to have another night to indulge but it was worth the wait! We arrived early at the restaurant on Wednesday 13th June, just shortly after the seafood bar had opened. We were greeted by a most personable young waiter who gave us a choice of seating areas and menus (there is an early bird menu from 5-7). Our drinks order was taken. I have an unusual (but usual for me if you get my drift) drink request but here, because our young waiter actually listened my drink came back perfectly mixed. I have gone for years (and I mean years) in many an eating place with more bottles and glasses cluttering up tables all because waiting staff do not listen. Not here. It was perfect. Kealeys also do a good quality wine list with good choice of quarter bottles - essential nowadays when one half of the couple is driving. I chose a Red new world Merlot and very yummy it was too!

To begin with I had my much longed for and anticipated chowder. My goodness it was stunning. Hubby had Caesar salad. I had the salmon (outstanding) and hubby had the beer battered haddock and chips. I pinched one of his chips. I do not know what way they were cooked but with plenty of salt and vinegar I could have eaten all of them. Yes. All of them.

Thereafter creme brûlée and a chocolate pave found their way onto plates before us. Creme brûlée is our all time favourite dessert. We tend to judge restaurants on their creme brûlée. A tad unfair perhaps but there you are. This was creme brûlée perfection.

We were very well looked after by our waiter and young waitress. Service was always attentive, never overbearing or intrusive. The young waiter especially knew his menu inside out and was able to describe in detail what each course was and how it was put together. He certainly came into his own describing the chocolate pave dessert. I watched and listened as he took a party of four (who had come into the restaurant after us) through the menu again and found myself thinking I do hope the owners hold onto this gem whoever he is!

Kealey's Seafood Bar was a lovely way in which to spend an evening. Our table by the window gave us a beautiful view of the water and harbour beyond.

Oh by the way, there was another exciting concoction on the dessert menu a carrot and walnut cake with goats cheese and orange ice-cream, but that will have to wait for another day and to be honest it cannot come soon enough!

1  Thank Elaine C
Reviewed 18 June 2017

Called into Kealys after a day out in Inishowen and was extremely disappointed by the whole experience. First of all bread was served which was both rubbery in texture and stale. My daughter ordered the vegetarian option (with goats cheese) and basically it was inedible. It was served with a thick layer of dried powdered herbs on top which she described as like eating sand! We asked for a portion of veg with our main course which turned out to be a small pot of blackened carrots?? When we complained about the state of the carrots the manager basically told us that is they way we do them. My husband's main meal ie hake was served cold. The bill arrived at €115 and when we fed back our disappointment at the poor quality the manager was not prepared to either offer an apology or even listen. He was high-handed and arrogant. Overall this place is pitched and priced as a quality restaurant....but the reality is far from quality. The expression 'dont promise what your can't deliver' springs to mind. Kealy's you need to up your game!