“Gorgeous food”
Review of Waitakere Estate

Waitakere Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Waiatarua
Description: The Restaurant at Heritage Collection Waitakere Estate has magnificent views over the rainforest back to Auckland City and the Harbour. The Restaurant serves lunch, dinner and High Teas on Saturday and Sunday. Reservation are required.
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We booked to stay here after seeing a grab one deal.
The actual hotel is quite quirky with a mix of decor styles. We had drinks in the lounge area before dinner and sat by the fire.
Our friends decided to include the degustation meal to their deal. We went for the room only deal and chose from the a la carte menu for dinner. I had lamb shank which was divine and my husband had steak which was cooked to perfection. Our friends said they enjoyed their degustation but had a little food envy after seeing our food! The waiting staff were friendly and had a good sense of humour. The restaurant was completely full but the service was great and our meals came out in good time.
The views over the city are beautiful.

Our room was comfortable and clean, it had all the standard items you'd expect.
After 6 hours of tramping in the waitakere ranges and arriving in a muddy state it was great to have a good hot shower and rest on the bed before going to dinner.
Breakfast the next day was great, there was a good selection and we filled up on croissants, yogurts and cereals as well as choosing from the cooked menu. With 4 hours tramping ahead of us it was just what we needed!

Reviewed 8 June 2017

A special night away to celebrate our anniversary. Had a lovely meal and enjoyed a after dinner drink next to the fire as the wind blew outside. Very windy night. Service was warm, friendly and very helpful. Room had a great view of the city lights at night and expansive

Reviewed 7 April 2017

A wonderful country restaurant with a tasty and innovative menu. The portion sizes were generous and the service was really good. We particularly liked the Lamb back straps and the Eye fillet main courses.

AucklandsWaitakereEs, Owner at Waitakere Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our Restaurant. We are pleased you enjoyed your dining experience and look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

It has a very long driveway, so you can start to have misgivings about whether you are going the right way. But keep going. It's not very well signposted, but there is parking further up the drive on the roof. That is also where the entrance and reception is located.

We had a nice welcome from the receptionist and were impressed by the decor.

I went here for the high tea with a group of women to celebrate a birthday. Most of the people there were getting the high tea. It has the loveliest views over the Waitakere forest.

I think if it wasn't for the great company, the experience would've been pretty meh. I felt the high tea was quite expensive. I was prepared for it to not to be value for money. As often happens at places like these, you get the feeling you paying for the privilege of being allowed to dine there.

Each cake tier stand was for 3 people. The birthday girl got one of her own with a nice happy birthday written on her plate in chocolate. The staff were very good at keeping our glasses topped up with chilled water.

My negatives are that for 32 dollars, I think we should've gotten filtered water at least. Although I was thirsty, I stopped drinking the water. It did not taste good.

Next, I felt like we should've gotten a whole sandwich, or even a half a sandwich, rather than a third of one each. There were a lot of different items on the plates but most of us were still hungry at the end of it.

The best things on the plates were the scones. They were perfect and a normal size. I would've been happy to just have a plate full of scones. They were the hit for everyone there.

My last beef is the menu promised a pot of boutique tea or espresso coffee. When quizzed, the waiter had no idea what we were talking about. There was a tea and coffee station on the counter. The coffee was only that drip coffee stuff. In the end we decided not to make an issue of it.

AucklandsWaitakereEs, Owner at Waitakere Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2017

We appreciate you posting a review about our High tea. We are pleased you enjoyed the magnificent rainforest setting of the Hotel and the views back over Auckland City. High Tea at Heritage Collection Waitakere Estate consists of at least eleven different items covering scones, a selection of sandwiches/sliders etc and a number of sweet items. At $32.00 per person it does represnet very good value for money.

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Hi again Team

On Sunday. I went for my first ever High Tea and I wasn't let down.

For $32 each. I had more than enough to eat. Snacks ranged from coconut scones to a little chocolate treat. My partner absolutely loved the taste of all the goodies. However, some of the items were not for my taste buds. So really depends on what your preferences are.

A pot of tea each which was divine and hot water to use as a top up. Highly recommend tasting the teas.

The Estate with absolutely beautiful surroundings, good for people that appreciate older settings.

The reception and staff-fantastic. Would definately go again, this time add some savouries and maybe self select my treats.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for our restaurant's High Tea. We are pleased you enjoyed your High tea experience and the selection of Harney fine teas we serve with our High teas. Our boutique Hotel is in a stunning rainforest setting and the Colonial styling goes well with having High Tea in style at Heritage Collection Waitakere Estate.