“Turkish Delight”

Zeyla Mediterranean Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 97 Restaurants in Durbanville
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

Sort of half hidden away between Standard Bank and a video store in Durbanville, this little gem begs to be discovered by those who have a penchant for the Middle East.Although self-advertised as a Mediterranean restaurant, the latter term in my mind indicates the more traditional understanding of the word.Zeyla's is to me more Middle Eastern.Be that as it may, I had a decidely different Turkish breakfast which was delicious.All the elements of the dish were explained to me and the service by the charming proprietoress was attentive but not obtrusive.It is a small and cosy restaurant and I am dying to try out some evening dishes.

1  Thank Dennyboy567

Reviewed 24 November 2016

The atmosphere of the restaurant is sadly non-existent. No ambient music to let me feel I am indeed in a Turkish restaurant. The owner was away ill and had a stand-in person that claimed she is a trained chef but does not know front-of-house. She was very friendly, but truly had no idea about any of the wines and it took her and the waiter ages to look for a wine, just to return with empty hands. I finally went to the wine fridge and chose a bottle myself. Two of us shared a large mezze platter served with fresh and warm pita bread. The selection of tapas was average and the taste fine. Nothing exploded with flavour or imagination. The third person had deep-fried calamari served with a tartare sauce and a chopped side salad. It was proclaimed well prepared, if lacking in seasoning. We were the only table during lunch which did not add to the atmosphere. Across the road the competition is stiff with Colcaccio, Simply Asia and next door The Slug and lettuce plus more. If I was the the owner, I will raise my game.

2  Thank Place-a-Manger
Reviewed 16 November 2016

True Turkish cuisine and a good variety of options on the menu. I liked that the different dishes were marked with an icon to represent the country of origin. Most of the dishes were Turkish with some some South African, Italian and Greek options. The flavours in my food were excellent and I enjoyed every bite. We had good service and the experience was authentic and unpretencious.

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

When you walk into a new restaurant you want to feel like you walked into another world...NOT here!! It doesnt feel Turkish at all!! No evil eyes on the walls, no Turkish mozaic lamps hanging from the roof, no apple tea being served as you walk in. Only persian carpets on the walls. The waitress dont know the menu, she messed up our orders,(we left without having received our entire order) she went for smoke breaks during service!!!!! The food was nothing compared to the Turkish cuisine we had in Istanbul. Turkish flat bread is unique to Turkey,not the bread they serve. Food,service, decor= disaster!!!!!! Would not recommend this restuarant to anybody!!!!

2  Thank Izelle M
Reviewed 17 October 2016

Menu beautiful. Needs more inclusionary options. Owners very open to new ideas. Chef professional. Good for diversity in this narrow-minded area.