1,432 results
All reviews privilege room sauna and steam room separate building local pub evening meal lovely hotel wedding reception lovely setting leisure facilities function room relaxing break wedding venue decent size sunday morning buffet style waiting staff royal oak
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed for an annual conference.
Room was okay neither good or bad. 2nd night dinner really delayed supposed to start at 7.30 eventually got starters at 8.00, then everything seemed to stop, by 9.00 pm I left the conference dinner having not eaten, when asked other attendees next morning dinner finished about 11.00, and a lot of food was returned as cold.
As for breakfast 2 coffee machines really slow causing long queues to get a hot drink, cooked breakfast barely warm.
Sitting just off reception and heard staff talking about tips and complaining that guests weren’t tipping.
Overall a disappointing visit mainly due to amount of functions and other activities.

1  Thank 1968Kaz
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Not sure where to start with this.

I shall start with the positives. The hotel itself looks good on the inside and on the outside. The resturant was nice and clean and a lovely big bedroom which had a massive bed in it. It was nice and comfy too! This is where the positives end though.

We were staying with the Alpha 1 group and the good was a disaster!

For our first night we had to wait a long time for our meal to start (this wasn't anyone's fault though). The starters were really nice which was a positive for a long wait. However the mains were terrible because we had to wait at least another half an hour for them to arrive and they were luke warm and so was the rest of the group's food. My plate was cold as well which didn't keep to food warm. We also had to wait a while for our pudding too which again was luke warm and I had a cold plate again.

The resturant wasn't full and our group only had 15 people sat on the table. Our water was not filled up we had to ask for it to be filled up and also we couldn't get served drinks from the table we had to go to the bar. We mentioned this to a waitress and who we could only assume came back over to ask what was wrong was the resturant manager. His response to luke warm food was "they were left under the hot plate so the food should be kept hot." I worked in a hotel for over 2 years. The hot plate does not keep the food or the plates warm-the oven does!!

The breakfast was okay on Saturday morning. A nice buffet with a good selection of food but it wasn't anything special. I have had better breakfasts. The hot food wasn't covered so the food for example the mushrooms, tomatoes and beans did go cold very quickly. A cover for them would solve this problem however the plates were lovely and hot which was good. (That was the hottest thing all weekend!)

The buffet lunch- no complaints really it was yummy. The food was cold but it was meant to be as they were pasta salads etc. Some of the food was hot but I personally didn't fancy the hot food so I can't comment on this.

The dinner on Saturday night was a shambles despite having mentioned the faults on the Friday night. They were fully booked with a party, a wedding and us. It didn't seem like there was enough staff on. We had to sit down half an hour later than we were supposed to. The starters took an hour to arrive. Again they were cold but were meant to be so very yummy again. We had to wait another hour for the mains. They were all stone cold and hadn't been cooked properly. As one could imagine we were not happy! The dessert was okay (again cold but mine was meant to be cold.) My husband's was meant to be hot. It wasn't. Also we were supposed to get tea and coffee and didn't get any. We were told that the wedding was a priority and not us. I went out to the loos and the wedding party were not eating but enjoying their disco!

We decided to have breakfast in bed on Sunday morning thinking it would be nice and hot. It wasn't my husband's breakfast was from the buffet not freshly cooked (which most hotels do for room services) so this was cold and I just had poached eggs on toast. The whole thing was cold. Was very sick of having cold food at this point. Glad to be home and having hot food now!

All the food had very good flavour but it was cold so not enjoyable.

The bar was an issue too as service was so slow because they only had one bar man and one till.

Having paid over £100 for the food we were not impressed. Hoping for a refund or for some money off.

We also noticed that we were charged £100 per night compared to £85 per night for the rooms online. We did question the receptionist but she couldn't answer this.

We won't be coming back!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rebekah L
Reviewed 28 September 2018

We relied onto TripAdvisor for booking into this hotel, as it was awarding them with one of the highest ratings for the hotels in the area. Also booking.com was rating it very high. Also there are not many 4 stars hotels in the region and none 5 stars, so we took the decision on good grounds... we thought.
At arrival, first impression was that we did not mistake. Beautiful environment, peaceful surroundings, typical English countryside!! A separate building with the Spa facilities were also giving the hotel the stamp of high quality that we were looking for.
Right after that, the dream started to break. We were coming with heavy baggage as our stay was for several days and we were prepared for the changing weather of early September in the area. Nobody helped us with the luggage, despite we were placed in the most far away rooms from reception. No problem, we managed.
Rooms were spacious and looked comfortable, although, when opening the windows, views were of the wheels of the parked cars. The minibar, only existing in one of the two rooms, was empty (and that was not filled in throughout our stay). When we flushed the toilet, it was as if we were blowing a ship's horn for minutes! Terrible noise. After first night we had to rush to IKEA to buy new pillows as the ones at the hotel were extremely hard.
Breakfast on the weekend was fair. Not much choices but enough quantity of everything available. Things changed dramatically when working days started and the week-end visitors went away: no cookies, no orange juice, no croissants, no Nutella... and of the few things remaining, they were rapidly exhausted without being replaced.
When having some drinks at the bar, nobody was coming to serve our table (despite we were the only ones at the place at that time) and I had to stand up and ask the waiter who was more interested in the football at the TV than in attending his guests. That happened twice in the only two occasions we went to eat something at the bar.
All in all, something to forget.
By the way, I'm still waiting to receive the bills for the 2 rooms we occupied. They said they would send them via email but no sight of them.

Room tip: The ones closer to reception are extremely small. The ones in the ground floor have not much nice views
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank J8748CSdavidc
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

What a fab place to go away for business. It’s out of the way from the hustle and bustle and is set within some really nice grounds. The spa part of the hotel including the gym is brilliant! Used the gym a few times and took up a class! A lot of Coventry hotels don’t have those facilities so it’s a nice to have. There’s a really good pub a 10 minute walk away and the breakfasts are good too on a morning. What’s not so good, well the rooms are faded grandeur which I completely understand as it’s within keeping of the building but it would be nice to see a more modern room. I had problems with mould at the top of my window but the staff were incredibly friendly and efficient getting that sorted and the rooms were spotless!

I’d stop here again without a question as the faded grandeur is just a little observation, overall this is a fantastic hotel and I would recommend.

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Arrived at a good looking hotel, the reception was not as warming as I expected, my room was basic, please see my pictures dirty , attention to detail needed!! , no complementary water!! Dust and dirty marks everywhere, the 2nd night no toilet roll, I went to reception around 1700pm and asked for toilet roll, then went to the bar , may I say the bar staff where the best! Young lad and lady with glasses I’m so sorry I didn’t get their names, I went back to my room - no toilet room this was around 8pm!! When I went back to reception , she asked for the porter by a radio and told everyone in the reception I required a loo roll!! I just wanted the world to swallow me up!!! When I spoke to her the next morning she said that’s how we do it!!! I said you should have gone somewhere more private if you where going to announce it over a radio!! She said that’s how we do it and that’s that!!! And to add to my stay a Irish wedding was taken place and police and ambulance where on scene!! This hotel is totally a lost cause!! Breakfast is a total wash out! All of the Cooked breakfast is vast produced and at low cost quality Good job my company paid as I won’t be returning!!! One star at its best!! Better bed and breakfast in Blackpool!!!

Date of stay: August 2018