“new single rooms are like a hostel”
Review of Das Kranzbach

Das Kranzbach
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Krun
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I was in the area and thought I'd check this out for a day or two. When I booked my room, I chose the new wood-paneled section, as the picture showed a great view. HA! Single rooms in the new area are indeed, as reviewer skifan commented, cell-like, overlooking parked cars and the side of the stone building. It reminded me of a youth hostel. Opening the door to my room, I thought there must be some mistake, and I wanted to cry, having just left the spacious glory of Schloss Elmau. Lots of clutter on the table, trying to sell me stuff, and the mini-bar filled with pricey items, (no daily allotment of toblerone and gummy bears here!) OK - I had to stop the comparison game, or I knew my stay would be miserable. Still - the room had only a small lotion and shampoo - that's it. No replacement the next day, either. The special spa basket contained: a robe and slippers. Period. Whatever. The food was good, if a little salty. The sauna area is top notch, with spectacular views. I liked the flavorings presented alongside the mineral water in the pool/sauna area. I also like being greeted with a glass of sekt. I was shocked that they won't shuttle you to the train - 3 KM - so I had to hire a taxi for 13 euros not including tip. (I didn't have to pay to get there, as I was transferring from Schloss Elmau, and they provide transportation, including bringing me here, and carrying my super-heavy bag up the steps, while the Kransbach staff watched. Wow.) Anyway, if you like the bustle of a busy dining area, with spectacular mountain views during breakfast, it is great. This place has a lot going for it, and many people staying here were thrilled. I just prefer a different atmoshpere.

Room Tip: If you want a nice room, you must book a panorama double or something. Single rooms are not a good v...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
n_stroehle, Marketing-Mitarbeiterin at Das Kranzbach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

We are pleased that you enjoyed our inclusive, ‘well-being’ pampering service during your stay, however when you compare 5* Superior service to 4* Superior service there will always be certain things that you miss. I apologise if your shampoo and lotion bottles were not replaced, the room maid should replace these on a daily basis. We are deeply disappointed that your room was not to your liking, we have designed these rooms for guests that, like yourself travel alone and do not want to pay the normal single person room surcharge. We clearly state on the website the room layout and size, and provide a picture gallery so that you can choose the room best suited to you.

As the leading Spa hotel in Germany, we pride ourselves on Wellness, we are delighted that during your stay you were able to enjoy the stunning mountain views whilst relaxing in our saunas. Due to the close proximity of the station, we do not currently have a shuttle service, however it is being considered for future guests. Thank you for your room suggestions, we agree that our new Panorama and Deluxe doubles provide guests with a perfect combination of space, comfort and spectacular views.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Initially, I wanted to stay in the Schloss Elmau resort right near the Kranzbach. But they were booked out, and so by chance I found this gorgeous place. I have experienced a lot of resorts, as I like swimming and sauna and fitness.

But this place is the nicest I ever saw. The rooms are done with bathrooms all in white overlooking the mountains, and bedrooms all in wood. The spa area is an extra building with a large ladies spa and lots of space everywhere to spread out. The views from all saunas and the swimming pools are spectacular overlooking the mountains. Kilometers of space everywhere around the hotel, and very generous facilities with modern design and historic architecture combined in a perfect way.

The hotel Das Kranzbach is actually an old chateau built by an English lady shortly before the first world war. The current owner became "Hotelier of the year 2012", and he deserves it. He renovated the chateau and added modern buildings to the complex with lots of space, windows and light for the guests. He got together a very nice and competent team of employees, and I felt really welcome here.

They have a very sophisticated cuisine, and also good medical programmes, e.g. a Detox program for 5 to 12 days to loose a bit weight and clean the body.

If you want to book, try the panorama rooms in the new buildings.

Room Tip: Panorama Room - 516 was spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
n_stroehle, Marketing-Mitarbeiterin at Das Kranzbach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. The hotel location is perfect for those wishing to actively explore nature and then recuperate surrounded by stunning mountain scenery. Why not visit over the summer months and venture deeper into our magical valley?

Reviewed 5 February 2012

there are lots of good things to say about kranzbach. the spa area is wonderful with three heated outdoor pools and an indoor pool. there are plenty of loungers even when the hotel is fully booked. the hotels bar areas are really stunning and great for a nightcap.

the food is good with lots of fresh local produce. the only complaint is that the restaurant is rather large and just one huge room which does seem rather impersonal. this is a slight problem generally in the hotel although staff are all friendly the size makes it seem a little institutional. the double rooms are beautiful but I stayed in a single which was essentially a small little cell with a very old shower which was disappointing for the price.

• Stayed: February 2012
n_stroehle, Marketing-Mitarbeiterin at Das Kranzbach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for your favourable comments on the Kranzbach Spa – the hotel is a retreat for tranquility and recuperation with the emphasis on wellness and recuperation. The restaurant is designed to give guests flexibility over where and when to dine, whilst providing all with a stunning view of the surrounding nature. You chose our Single room category, which allows guest to visit by themselves and not pay a Single Occupancy charge. All the rooms in the Mary Portman house have modern, retro fittings in keeping with the interior design of the house. The single rooms in the Garden Wing were built in 2011 and have the same high quality finish that can be found throughout the hotel. On your next visit, we would recommend you try our new single rooms in the Garden Wing.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Wellness Hotels do not come much better. The Kranzbach is located in a little castle which has been lovingly restored. The interiour is very tatsteful and lavish, a mix of modern and traditional. Amazingly friendly staff. Should be a 5 star house in my opinion. The wellness area is huge and modern, it looked brand new. Saunas are huge with amazing views into the mountains. Great food at very reaosnable prices. Also the cocktail prices are notably reasonable (7 Euros for a Mojito). Nice private areas to relax. Recommended for those who need to get a few days of total relaxation and wellness. Not good for kids, but its not intended to be a family hotel.

Room Tip: Portman house is the best part of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank DandemanSYD
Management response:Responded 1 August 2011

We are so pleased you had a relaxing stay in our Hotel and were able to enjoy the spectacular mountain views from our new saunas. We do hope that you will return soon and enjoy another Mojito or two with us! Best wishes, The Kranzbach-Team.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

My wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon 2 years ago. Now we have a small baby and we were in the area for her baptism, we thought we'd go back and this time take our parents. We were a little apprehensive as the hotel had just opened from a month of renovations - was everything going to be completed and ready in time for our arrival - but our worries were groundless. Other than some landscaping and re-seeding, everything was perfect.

But it was not really a renovation, but an expansion. One of the things we love about Kranzbach and that we experienced this time is that the place is not crowded. Easy to get a spot by the pool, a good table for breakfast and spa appointment. But I wonder if this is still going to be the case with wht looked like 30 or 40 new rooms coming on tap. Something to think about for the future....

The food is still really great, fabulous breakfast buffet, everything really clean and the staff uber friendlu. What makes Kranbach so relaxing is that you are surrounded by everyone who is also really relaxed.

We went with a 7 month old, and the hotel is not really set up for this agr group - we knew this in advance. But the hotel was able to serve our dinner in our room, with wine and beer and what ever else we wanted, and I think we enjoyed it even more than sitting in the restaurant. No extra charge for having it in the room, by the way.

So, if you are looking for some where to stay in beautiful surroundings, in a restful environment with good food, a lovely spa and pool, than you cannot go wrong at Das Kranzbach.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 27 June 2011

We were so pleased that you were able to relive the fantastic memories of your honeymoon. The emphasis for the expansion was to give guests more space and better facilities so they can relax in peace whilst maintaining the same level of service. We look forward to seeing you again, Das Kranzbach team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Krun
7 km away
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
17.6 km away
Hotel Maximilian
Hotel Maximilian
#1 of 25 in Oberammergau

Been to Das Kranzbach? Share your experiences!