“What a great shame”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Bathford
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We had eaten here a year ago and always considered it did great Sunday lunches, and a small plate size which always suited us . Arriving last Sunday we were met at 12:30 by a horrid smell all over the pub of Detol. When i remarked she said hopefully the roast will cover up the smell !!!
Then we ordered our drinks and bill was all wrong, the guy was new so we finally managed to sort that out, but drinks came wrong. We sat outside and the meal took a while, but was cold when it arrived. Mine was raw lamb , which was over cooked and given to my husband who ordered well done Beef. And the story goes on had to send the food back but it was consistent in a total muck up! Too add insult the apple strudel was one you can get from Sainsbury's for
two pounds and I was charged five pounds for one slice !!!! I hate being so critical of a establishment but it was dirty behind the bar, chemical cleaner left on the bar and the bar staff rolling cigarettes on the bar...... this pub will not survive for long like this ...maybe the hotel inspector could help !!!! Someone should !

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

Not sure staff were all working same kitchen. The lad who took our order thought tarteflette was no longer on the menu though it was printed as a starter. After ordering fish and chips, he returned and apologised chips would be fries; what came were delicious thrice cooked chipped potatoes! Perhaps I could have had tarteflette? Welcomes dogs and smells like it! Not conducive to eating. Building obviously has some history, but in poor condition, interesting but very out if place painted frieze on wall. Collection of old photos mostly of London!

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Met a mate for a quiet Monday night beer and food. Service was friendly and prompt. Food was good pub grub, I had the minute steak which came with a side salad. Beers were about £3. Was a nice pub with some comfy sofas to relax in.

Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Visited with a friend who had come to stay. We were both really impressed with the service and food. There was a really nice mix of people in the pub and the atmosphere was buzzy. The food quality is always good. We are lucky to have such a great pub on our doorstep!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Was recommended The Crown by a friend who lives in the area. A warm welcome from the bar maid as we entered, offering us seat service if we sat inside, or informed us if we sat outside we'd have to come to the bar to order, which was understandable as she appeared to be the only bar maid on.

It was a hot day (30 degrees) but the beer garden at the rear of the pub offered many shaded areas by trees which was ideal. The beer garden had lots of space and we didn't feel overlooked by other couples sat in the garden.

I opted for the Steak and Ale pie, which I was informed of would take 25 minutes to cook on the menu, so I knew I would have a slight wait for the food to come. When the food came, the stake and ale pie was home cooked and very tasty. The only slight disappointment was the use of frozen fries instead of home made chips (the pie was also available with mash potato).

I wasn't drinking alcohol, so didn't pay attention to what beers were available at the bar, but I found the whole pub very nicely decorated.

There was also a small seated area at the front of the pub, but faced onto the main road.

Would certainly recommend the pub to anyone visiting the area.