“would rate this place as -5!”
Review of Atavai Pension

Atavai Pension
Ranked #10 of 35 Hanga Roa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 September 2015

very far and not possible to go anywhere if u don't drive. Our group got 2 rooms and stayed here for a week. There was NO service at all. at day 1, without our permission, the owner came into our rooms and moved all of our stuff to the floor. He states belongings shouldn't be left on the beds. He moved all of our friends' clothes out to the yard and let them outside wet and on the dirt. He claimed dirty clothes can't be left inside the bathroom.

No breakfast but they claimed breakfast is included when u book the room. No one ever come in the clean the room within this one week stay. We had to take the trash out daily. Broken windows, leaking toilet and sink, plenty of bugs got into the room as there was no window screen.

Double check your final bill because they will add a mandatory tip of 10%, I considered that as dishonest so I request to remove the tip for my Non-existence service of this place. With the price u paid, u can get plenty of better choices in town. Think Twice!

Room Tip: Simply avoid this place!
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank July L

Reviewed 17 May 2015

This is going to be a bit long but if you are considering staying in this hotel, I highly recommend you read this. I was traveling around the world for 3 months and wanted a hotel which was within my budget and I found this one. They said the rate did not included any “service” but I had no idea what was to come. Before payment: they were nice to me. After payment: I received the most horrible treatment EVER in ANY hotel in my life. It started as soon as I arrived.
First of all this hotel is FAR FAR FAR from the city. You need a car or a scooter for sure.
The wifi is very weak, almost no existent.
I paid through paypal which took a few days to clear but when arrived there they simply FORCED (“you have to PAY all NOW!!!” kind of style) to pay again with my credit card because they were so greedy. (Later they received the money on paypal and send it back to me)
The first night was already a nightmare: dogs barking till 2am, then the roosters start at 4am. Also I could hear the person staying in the room next to mine SNORING because the walls are paper thin.
Also the sink, shower and flush make some noise when used that I was scared to use them in the night and wake up the people next to me. It really sounded like a plane taking off.
There is a plastic under the mattress on the bed which makes annoying noise all night long.
I told the owner and he told me I had booked for the whole week and could not leave. He said if I wanted a better room, I had to pay more but I figured it would be the same, as I am sure I would hear the dogs and roosters anyway.
After that it was just went downhill.
I had a scooter accident, my arm dislocated and I hurt my legs and arms badly. Something I don’t wish to happen to anyone while on a strange country. A lady saw me on the side of the road and helped me. She brought me to the hotel to pick up my passport and insurance card. The owner saw me arriving, all wounded and bleeding, my clothes full of blood and mud, and simply IGNORED me, did not ask if I was ok, if I needed any help, if I needed a ride to the hospital. NOTHING. It was just the most inhuman treatment ever.
When I came back from the hospital, still all dirty with mud and blood and when I told the owners it was not nice how they treated me, the owner’s wife started to CURSE me! NO JOKE!
The next day I washed my t-shirt and put it to dry on a plastic chair on my porch and the onwer’s wife RUN to me , SCREAMING, and said I could not do that.
The morning I had to check out and they told me I had to check out at 10:00. As my flight was at 23:00, I asked if I could have a late check out and he said NO, YOU CAN NOT, LEAVE THE HOTEL AT 10 OR I CALL THE POLICE.
Some nice people staying at the hotel too felt sorry for me and offered to keep my luggage in their room. Well, the hotel owners busted into their room, SCREAMING that it was not allowed, seriously SCREAMING. We were all in shock.
And believe it or not, I asked the owner why he was being so mean to me. The answer? He simply said to my face: because I don’t like you.
So you stay in a hotel and they treat you extremely bad just because they don’t like you. I could not believe what I heard.
Also he told me I was a cheap tourist, that I should not even be allowed to go on holiday...among other things.
So I just left early to the airport, with all my luggage , using just ONE arm. And they did not even ask if I needed any assistance. I am telling you, this is the most inhuman treatment I ever received.
I don’t think anyone is forced to LIKE anyone but I believe a hotel host should not treat people based on his personal opinion about a guest. He should keep it professional in all cases. And this was not the case here.
When I arrived back home, I needed a delicate surgery on my shoulder (latarjet surgery) and I am still recovering.
Also, other hotel guests told me horrific stories about their stay. Like how they try to make you to pay for things, like when you ask for a load of laundry to be done and they come AFTER it was done and say it did not fit in one load and they had to do 2 loads, which was clearly not the case for a SMALL load. They don’t ask the guests before if they are ok with it. And also how they were not allowed to use the TOILET after checking out.
If you are considering staying at this hotel, I really recommend you stay somewhere else. This is really a HORROR hotel!!!!

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
21  Thank fransamsterdam123
Reviewed 15 May 2015

We stayed there four nights, during low season. The service was none-existant and we felt like we were more of a bother than anything else. Never the less, it was clean, decent, hot water, the terrasse and surrounding garden is lovely.
Count 15 minutes walking from the airport, and 30 minutes to the center and beach.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Bibistravels
Reviewed 6 April 2015

This hotel was booked for us as part of a package holiday and was really basic in terms of facilities and far from the village and the sea.

Pluses:
Rooms are reasonably large and clean
There is a nice terrace in front of the rooms and, if you get to occupy all three rooms that share a terrace it is quite pleasant
Very quiet being so far from anything else but regular houses
Nice green area around the houses, with a lot of tropical fruit trees

Minuses:
Distance to the village and the sea - at least 25 minutes walk to the main commercial street (and shops and restaurants) and more than 35 minutes to the sea/ port of Hanga Roa. So, the only reasonable thing is to take a taxi or rent a car
Very basic facilities in the room - furniture is quite old and minimal
Windows did not close properly
Bathrooms are really simple and some people in our group had problems with the shower (not me)
Breakfast, served on the terrace in front of your room, is quite expensive and, due to the limited number of staff, can get to you already cold

Room Tip: There are some premium rooms with improved facilities (kettle, refrigerator) and some of them have s...
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vacanta_mare
Reviewed 25 November 2014

Group of 10 pax. We spend a good time (3 days) at Atavai. Fantastic family gave us a good service. Nice, clean rooms, really hot water, helpfull tourist informations, free wi-fi, bbq in the garden. It was lowely time. I do recomend Atavai Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanga Roa
1.7 km away
Cabanas Mirador Tahai
Cabanas Mirador Tahai
#32 of 61 in Hanga Roa

Been to Atavai Pension? Share your experiences!