All reviews mount leinster wedding venue top class beautiful hotel the penthouse hake sunday lunch cellar restaurant next morning beef cooked to perfection last weekend lovely staff return visit full irish bar menu near future
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

I booked the restaurant but accessibility was an issue as it has no parking so we went to the bar. The lunch was the same, reasonably priced €22 . I had soup for starter which was like curry sauce as were the carrots in the main course. Rive Gauche much better restaurant.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

My Wife and I were in the area around lunch time. We decided to visit the hotel to see what was on offer. We had a beautiful lunch served by Rita. We had a beautiful chowder and Cesar Salad. The rest of the menu was reasonable

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank O3742VAjohnt
Reviewed 10 September 2018

I had reason to visit Kilkenny on business and my wife and I booked into the Step House principally because I had heard so many good things about it. All hotels have off days but we seemed to be unlucky. We checked in at 2 pm and our initial impression of the room was good, until we went to the bathroom. The toilet cistern was running water into the bowl at a fair rate and when I tried to flush the toilet it didn't work. We straight away reported this to reception and said we would be back in a couple of hours so they would not disturb us when repairing. We arrived back at 5pm and nothing had been done. We asked for a manager and were told there was none. two minutes later two men appeared and entered our room, seemed to fiddle with the flush buttons, and disappeared without saying a word. I waited to see if they were coming back, but no, they didn't. I checked the toilet and lo and behold it was working again. I went to reception and told them.

End of story? No. During the night the problem returned. We managed by filling kettles of water to flush. We checked out and told the new receptionist that it had returned and she told us that the toilet in that room had been giving trouble for weeks! The duty manager appeared and said that the problem was a once off! I had to tell him that the receptionist had known about it for weeks! After about five minutes, the duty manager gave us €20 off our bill.

Our meal for the previous evening, which was the principal reason or us visiting, was mediocre. Expensive and fairly unmemorable. The breakfast in the morning was good however. I do hope ours was an isolated incident, but we won't be back.

Room Tip: Not Room 106!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2018

The dΓ©cor is amazing throughout and that includes the rooms which are tastefully furnished and the bed was so comfortable. Many of the rooms have balconies. The Receptionists and bar staff were so friendly and helpful – it was a pleasure. We ate in the bar area (the restaurant only being open at the weekends), but the atmosphere was great as was the food. Their garden area is beautifully kept and there are many areas in which to sit and relax. The village itself is so pretty with flowers stretching the whole length of the village along the walls. It is within easy reach of Dublin and also Kilkenny which is only a half hour away. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: A Superior Room
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daphne G
Reviewed 26 August 2018

My wife and I spent the most enjoyable weekend back at The Step House Hotel. Our room was superb and the food was exceptional. The most enjoyable part was our time spent wandering around the beautiful gardens at the hotel. Indeed we managed to meet the gardener, Anne is truly talented and I left with so many ideas for my own little plot back in Dublin.

I can only imagine the wedding shots that were taken there this summer, the gardens really are the centerpiece to this wonderful hotel and town.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple