All reviewsvillage pubthe secret gardenafternoon teaspa treatmentsprivate gardenpotager restaurantrelaxation roomsorbetjunior suitesteam roomhotel restauranthydrotherapy poolpotting shedhomemade biscuitsstable yardlittle toucheshuge bathroom
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Went here for a friends wedding.

Room was extremely large, with a separate lounge area. Beds were very comfortable.

Amazing location, fantastic hotel, great food. All in all, fabulous.

Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2017

A birthday treat for one night – pricey, but worth every penny. The room was stunning g- on two levels, mezzanine level with a settee and TV for chilling out, HUGE double bed, freestanding bath, beautiful bedlinen – you get the picture. The house is absolutely stunning – all done in the best possible taste. We also made good use of the spa – my facial treatment was one of the best I’ve ever had. It was a shame there was a little problem with the outdoor pool on the day we visited - the water hadn’t got to its usual 37 degrees, so kit was a bit cold for outside bathing. Next time.
The evening meal was beautiful – every course couldn’t be faulted, and the staff were lovely.

Room Tip: The mezzanine rooms have loads of space, as well as a bath and separate shower.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

We had a most delicious Sunday lunch in celebration of our daughter’s birthday, we arrived and walked into the bar to have a cocktail first, we weren’t initially sure who to inform that we had arrived for our table however the barman was relaxed and made us feel most welcome, the staff were friendly, professional and happy to serve, first class service. We started with the mushroom risotto that was so delicious, creamy and full of flavour however rather large for a starter, next time I would definitely order this as a main. We followed with the roast, the yorkshire puddings were incredible, not at all greasy, crisp and fluffy inside, everything was super tasty except a bit on the downside for my husband who ordered the beef, he felt it was rather thickly sliced, more like steaks and couldn’t finish it which is unlike him. Overall Barnsley house made our lunch a most memorable one and we look forward to visiting again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

This is the first time we are putting a review up on TripAdvisor having been rather disillusioned with what people have put up here in the past. The ‘best’ restaurant in Tewksbury turned out to be shoddy and a chain hotel restaurant in Winchester much worse in every category. Other ‘terribles’ have turned out to be nothing of the kind. I therefore have to counter some of the ridiculous comments up here, some of them are individual and appear to arise from either: a need to snipe or, much worse, an inability to see good service and taste when it slaps you in the chops.
My wife and I have stayed and Barnsley House many times now, at all times of year, except Christmas, and we won’t have our favourite hotel given such idiotic reviews. If you opt to stay in a country house hotel then you don’t complain about hitting your head on a beam, of hearing the sound of crows or of a tractor ploughing the fields outside. The gardens I might say have been faithfully kept in a beautiful state, of which Rosemary Verey would be proud. No, the good lady is not turning in her grave! To see a few autumn leaves blowing about the lawns or around the serene spa pool can only add to the whole effect.
I therefore would like to add to the ‘excellent’ review category in saying the personal efficient service has always, in our view, been impeccable and the beautiful cosy atmosphere never fails to disappoint. Room 1 overlooking the garden is a roomy light and opulent choice with a four poster bed (which doesn’t obscure the TV, as one reviewer used as a reason to complain). Well, if you can prize yourself away from your the goggle-box, an even bigger surprise awaits down some steps into a massive ‘his and hers’ bathroom. This has too gigantic baths side by side facing (for you TV people) yet another television and the whole of one large wall is given over to two basins and a quadruple-sized waterfall shower. How could one ask for more? As a special treat my wife sat on the window seat in the bedroom drinking her tea, overlooking Rosemary’s garden as the last leaves of autumn blew off their branches and (God forbid) a gardener toiled noisily with his trowel down below.
Thank you Barnsley House and Spa for yet another fantastic and restful stay. We will be back!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank LeonieArden
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

We took a spa break last night and we had a great time. We were greeted by Emmanuel who was really welcoming. Lunch at the pub (linked to the hotel) was great and then we went to the spa. Great treatments (Lizzie did an excellent massage) and I enjoyed the hydro pool. Dinner was good again the staff were great. Lovely room (6) in the roof over looking the amazing gardens. They even let me do my yoga in their rather nice meeting room. Would love to stay again!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple