“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolton Abbey
Burton on Trent
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My friend and I stayed here in February 2012 on our annual 'ladies only leave the husband's at home' break. We had booked a special deal, and a spa treatment each. We arrived on a beautiful sunny day, and were met in the car park by a very helpful member of staff called Andy. We had booked the disability room (room 10) as I am a wheelchair/stick user.
The room was wheelchair friendly to a point (it would have been a tight squeeze if I was in my wheelchair all the time) with a wheel in wet room, complete with shower seat. It all looked fine. However, when the time came for me to have a shower, I was unable to reach the shower head to lower it into the position needed to use the shower seat. My friend tried and she could only just reach it on tip toe. There was only one other position for it half way down the riser bar. It would have been much better were the shower to have been of the sliding kind where you can position it anywhere along the riser rail. However, undaunted, I carried on with my shower. When I had finished, the bathroom was full of steam and the floor was wet through everywhere. The only clear place was the centre of the mirror which was one of those with a pad in the centre to keep the mirror clear. The bathroom fan wasn't working at all (we tried the tissue test and the tissue never stayed up to the fan proving it wasn't working). All this meant that when we were ready to go and eat, I couldn't go back in to the bathroom for fear of slipping (I had already slipped once) on the floor, so I had to use the disabled toilet on the way to reception. The floor was still wet through a couple of hours later when we got back, and we had to dry it with a towel. This happened every time we had a shower.
We could only use half the built in wardrobe as we couldn't get the other door to open very well, but it wasn't a problem as we were only there for 2 nights. If I had been staying there on my own however, I would have been unable to use the wardrobe at all as the rail was too high for me to reach in a wheelchair. There were no tissues in the room which we really missed for cleaning glasses, blotting lipstick etc. etc.
The food was excellent in both the burlington & the brasserie, especially the brasserie. The staff were helpful and informative.
The next BIG disappointment was the spa across the road. There is a booklet all about the spa in the room, detailing opening times, facilities, treatments etc. We read it through and went over the road for a swim. What a nightmare. It is not wheelchair accessible from the reception. The ladies changing is up 2 flights of stairs. There is no hoist into the pool. What really annoyed me was that there was NO MENTION in the spa booklet that disabled wheelchair guests would not be able to use the facilities if they couldn't climb stairs. I was able with difficulty, to get up the stairs only to find all the cubicles were full and we were told to use the 'ladies' at the end. This was just a little bigger than a broom cupboard, and when we were trying to get changed, people kept coming in and knocking into us. Once in the pool, the water was lovely & warm. There were a lot of children in the pool, but we did go in the hours where children were allowed. We didn't use the pool again after that first time at it was too much hassle. We did have our spa treatments, as the treatment rooms were on the ground floor, and they were wonderful, and the therapists lovely,
On the whole, we both came away feeling disappointed, which was a shame as the setting of the hotel, food and staff were brilliant.

Room Tip: Disability room is room 10 on the ground floor near reception, and has a wet room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DevonshireHotels, Manager at The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and for taking the time to write a review. Whilst I was pleased to read your many positive comments with regards to our location, the staff and your evening meals, I was obviously deeply saddened to read our many shortcomings with regards to our disabled facilities. Whilst the bedroom has been adapted to be more comfortable for our less able guests, your review certainly highlights that there are limitations to its capabilities, for this, as well as the issues you met whilst at The Devonshire Health Barn, I would like to sincerely apologise.
Kind regards,
Andrew Mackay, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

If you are looking for the perfect place to unwind for a day or two , look no further than the Devonshire Arms . In winter the hotel exudes an air of cosiness throughout its warm reception area and several lounges .

We found the decor to be of a good standard with our Wharfedale room having been refurbished with a mix of an antique chest of drawers and contemporary furnishings . A well equiped swimming pool complex also has a jacuzzi , steam room , sauna , and cold plunge pool . Free access to Bolton Abbey is a bonus with some great walks available to work off the inevitable over-indulgence when it comes to the hotel's food .

Starting with afternoon tea we were treated to some of the best food in the country . For a very reasonable cost of around £13 ( inclusive of service charge - not something I am keen on ) I was treated to a large plate of delicious sandwiches , scone with all the trimmings , Parkin cake , and a large pot of tea . My wife went for the sweet tooth option of a scone and three or four cakes . How anyone manages to eat their way through the full (£25ish) afternoon tea is a mystery to me , especially if they wish to leave a healthy appetite for the main event ; the Michelin starred dinner .

The Burlington restaurant offers several menus and we opted for the 12 course " Menu Prestige " (14 or 15 courses if you count the bread selection and opt for a cheese course and coffee and petits fours ). Plate after plate of sensational food arrived over a leisurely three hour culinary extravaganza . My wife's top choices included a starter of foie gras with date , pear , and walnut ; and textures of lamb with some sublime ( suvi cooked ? ) meat . My favourites included a soup course of onion and liquorice veloute with egg ; and a stunning palate cleansing lemon thyme and beetroot type sorbet - all the more extraordinary as I previously regarded beetroot as a vegetable to avoid ! We both agreed that the poached rhubarb with champagne froth dessert was a highlight of the meal . Having eaten in some very fine restaurants over the years we would rank this meal right up there with the best of them , including the three Michelin starred George V in Paris .

In view of the reviews , I half expected breakfast to be a bit of a letdown but we were both pleasantly surprised . My corned beef hash and egg was very good and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her smoked haddock in a mustard sauce .

Minor gripes : yes , I agree with other reviewers that the chairs in the conservatory part of the Burlington were not very comfortable - ask to eat in the main part of the building if opting for an epic dinner . Also the soundproofing in the Wharfedale rooms is somewhat lacking , as is the size of the bathroom . Some may find the mattresses overly soft .

All in all , a great treat . The hotel is very good and the food is exceptional .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank vincebro
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We stayed for only one night but will be booking again, unfortunately the Michelin restaurant was not open but the Brasserie was excellent. Service and welcoming could not have been better. The Spa was delightful and a one night stay was a luxurious rest in a beautiful part of the world. It was like being welcomed into a family home as weekend guests we would recommend to anyone. Need to book the spa in advance of your stay if you require a treatment but swimming pool, sauna were avaialble.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

This is a fantastic hotel with a brilliant restaurant and relaxed bistro. A wine list to die for, exceptional service and great location make this a real treat location. Have been many times and loved it.

• Stayed May 2011
Harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We stayed here for one night on 29th Jan as a birthday treat and we were very happy that we chose this hotel. It really is such a lovely laid back hotel with nothing too much trouble for the staff. We were upgraded as it was my birthday to a lovely room with a four poster. Nice touch.

We ate in the Brasserie which was very good with excellent service from the staff. Breakfast was excellent with, yet again, great service.

We stayed on a Sunday night and the Burlington was busy with Sunday lunch diners all saying how wonderful their lunch had been. We wished we had booked for the Sunday lunch, definitley next time...

We didn't mind paying the service charge, it really is worth it, especially if you take advantage of the special deals they have.

Returning soon even if we are just up the road in Harrogate.

Room Tip: Ours had a sheep theme! It was so quiet we had a great sleep.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Red Lion Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burnsall
39.5 km away
Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!