“It was alright ”
Review of The Beacon

The Beacon
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sandyford
Reviewed 5 September 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel after searching high and low for a quirky hotel, I was looking for a mini getaway for my partners birthday and I'm not a fan of the typical hotel I wanted something modern but not plain and the pictures were very impressive and I loved the look of the free standing bathtub in front of the window in the room so I decided this is the one! I had a look at all the rooms on the website and saw the king deluxe room had a freestanding bath listed so I went ahead and booked. I emailed just to double check there was a free standing bath in the room as that was the main thing that drew me in, I got a prompt reply saying there was a free standing bath tub in the bathroom, silly me missed the bathroom part so as you can imagine I was shocked when I walked into the room and saw there was no bathtub! In my email I also stated it was my partners birthday and if they offer any little bits to mark the occasion and the gentlemen let me know they can include a note and some chocolates I was happy with that and said that would be perfect he said he would add it into our file, when we went in the room there was also no note or chocolates, I didn't mind that so much though just a little disappointed as I was told there would be. I went down to reception and mentioned I misread the email and asked if there was anyway to upgrade our room, the lady was absolutely lovely and upgraded us straight away! My partner went down later to ask if there was an extra charge on the room and was told there was not but upon checking out I was told there was an extra €20 charge, which I would not mind if they would have told me when we asked. The room looked lovely there was a few bits that could have done with abit of fixing such as the mirror and carpet (inserted photos below) just would expect it to look perfect for a boutique hotel, but none the less I still enjoyed it only thing I would have changed is the bed was two mattresses pushed together rather than just one so you could feel the gap, and the pillows were not very comfortable, I woke up about 4/5 times both nights where as I normally sleep through the night so in the end I couldn't wait to get home to get a good nights sleep! I also received an email about a week before our stay offering us 25% off breakfast if I emailed to book so I emailed 4 days before and asked to book for just one of the mornings on the Monday, I never received an email back so we skipped breakfast and later on the Monday at 11:30am I received an email back apologising for the delay and they would add it but I no longer needed it due to wanting to have it that morning Over all the staff was lovely, the decor I loved but the bed just wasn't comfortable and for the price I would have liked a good nights sleep and in would have liked to have been told about the extra charge in the first place.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,334)

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I have stayed in the Beacon hotel a few times this year and have enjoyed my visit every time.
The rooms are of excellent standard and quirky in a great way, not just different for the sake of it . One slight concern is the poor quality gym . Equipment is a state of disrepair and could do with a service or upgrading .
However that is the only slight downside . The staff for me stand out as the best staff I've met . From meeting Parker at reception who takes time to address any concern you may to all another staff who are genuinely enjoying their work. Most importantly they make you as a customer feel valued .
Lovely Thai restaurant as well and breakfast .
All in all a pleasurable stay . No additional charge for parking which is a nice bonus.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We stayed for 7 nights as we did not want to stay in the central city district. So glad we chose this place. Close to the number eleven bus into O'Donnell street and also the tram/train into the city in about 25 minutes to St. Steven's Green. The decor is whimsical and hip, yet relaxing and comfortable. Breakfast catered to all tastes with the extensive menu and the bar and restaurant menus for lunch and dinner provided enough variety for 7 nights dining. Our room was a delux king on the 7th floor and so spacious and well appointed. The bathroom also so lovely with a very deep soaking tub and separate shower and once again the decor was in keeping with the common area theme. A wall of windows provided drenching light and views. I was worried about the noise factor as it is on a main road and beside a private hospital. I did use the ear plugs provided at night and slept with the windows open. It was not dreadful noise and no where near the traffic noise I was expecting. This is "Irish traffic" noise, not the noise of New York/Chicago/Paris/Rome. No blaring horns, sirens or big trucks changing gears, just a hum of moving cars and it did decrease after peak hours. There is also an Irish law preventing sirens as they approach the hospital. I heard a soft siren once for about 3 cycles and it was finished. I am sensitive to noise and would stay here again. Bring your own ear cancelling ear phones and also a good eye mask if you want to sleep with the windows open. Can't say enough good things about the staff, after all, it is really the staff who make or break a place. I inadvertently left a large amount of money on my bed with credit cards etc when I went out one day. When I returned, the maid had neatly placed all items on top of the mini bar. Her name was Aida and a big shout out to her and her honesty. Our floor manager was Nela and she was fabulous. It was evident she loved her job. Nela took our luggage down to the foyer as other staff were occupied and would not accept a tip. Nela was always available and enquiring about our needs. I saw Nela pitching in to help other staff with their jobs at other times. Nela is an asset to your company. I do not know the names of other staff too numerous to mention who were always friendly, polite and helpful. This hotel is also a great location for day trips to the Wicklow Mountains and beach areas. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Stayed overnight here as it was near to Dundrum shopping centre. This is a quirky hotel (in a very good way) with great rooms (the most unusual I have ever stayed in) and very nice reception area. Little niggle was that the view out our window was directly into an adjoining appartment (less than six feet away) so curtains had to remain 3/4 closed all the time. Fridge was not working, but to be fair I wasn't using it anyway. Staff were very pleasant and efficient and there was a very relaxed atmosphere throughout. I would certainly recommend here and I will be staying again. I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We stayed at the Beacon Hotel recently for one night. It was booked for us so we were not sure what to expect. It is a lovely hotel, very comfortable & would definately stay again if in the area. Within easy reach of Dublin.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandyford
1.1 km away
9.6 km away
The Croke Park
The Croke Park
#5 of 150 in Dublin

Been to The Beacon? Share your experiences!