Review Highlights
Challenging, beautiful and remote but not too remote

A quality backpacking trip for all, but especially for beginners who are a bit nervous about... read more

Reviewed 17 September 2018
Tammy W
Baltimore, Maryland
Views,Wild Life,Sand,Surf All Across Catalina

Easy 37.2 mile trail across Catalina. This trail has fantastic vista views along a well planned out... read more

Reviewed 14 August 2016
BluewaterGypsy

Recommended experiences in and around Catalina Island
from US$129.00
from US$20.00
from US$71.76
from US$129.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 November 2015

My sister and i did 12mi, from Haypress to Little Harbor camping at Blackjack and then Little Harbor. Beautiful. On the beach. This was the most difficult hike i've ever done. All ups and downs. No switchbacks. No shade and we did it in early November. The island is very dry now. very scrubby and parched. Do not attempt this hike in summer. We didnt see buffalo until we got to Two Harbors.

Date of experience: November 2015
2  Thank renee2012
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

Hiked to the top of the ridge from a beach and back down. Great views (if you're not in the clouds) and a good chance of seeing deer or buffalo.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We hiked the trail from Avalon to Two Harbors, spending the first night at Blackjack campground. The last ascent into the camp was a killer! We saw deer, fox, and bison while on the trail. The mile markers and trail signs are fairly new and easy enough to follow. I needed all 3 litters of water each day, refilling at the campsites. Wonderful views, and only saw other hikers at the campgrounds - almost like we had the island to ourselves!

Date of experience: August 2015
3  Thank Lee T
Reviewed 21 July 2015

I'm a runner, and whenever I travel I always scope out the best places to run. Our cruise ship had a stop in Catalina for the day so I was excited to check out the Trans-Catalina Trail. I was not disappointed. I was a little worried about taking a wrong turn and getting lost, but the trail was well marked. Starting and finishing at the dock, I ended up running 12 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing. At the top you can see the ocean on both sides of the island. The trail is pretty barren and dry so bring your own water. There are some off-shoots so you can add some other trails into the mix if you want. At the end of the run I jumped into the ocean for a nice little swim along the beach. I had taken the first shuttle over from our ship, and my wife took one a couple of hours later and meet me at the dock. We then spent a wonderful day in Avalon together.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed 26 May 2015

Lots of vertical. No water. Great views. No people. We just did a little part and then stuck to the road because I'm out of shape.

Date of experience: May 2015