“Wrigley Memorial to Renton Mine Hike”

Trans-Catalina Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: The Trans-Catalina Trail stretches 37.2 miles from the Renton Mine Trailhead on the East End to Starlight Beach on the West End. It winds up hills and down valleys offering spectacular views across the 43,000-acre Nature Preserve of the Catalina Island Conservancy known as Catalina's wildlands. The picture is of Parsons Landing.
Reviewed 20 November 2015

First obtain a permit for the "Wrigley Memorial to Renton Mine Hike" from the Catalina Conservancy in person at 125 Clarissa Av Avalon, CA.

I walked up Wrigley road to the East End Light Road where the Trans Catalina Trail begins. The East End Light Road is a dirt road, and is used by one of the tour companies for off-road tours. After about 2 miles the road splits, stay right. at mile marker 6 look for the dirt road leading down to the back of the Botanical Gardens. The total hike is a 9 mile loop from down town Avalon. It took me 3.5 hours to complete. It is fantastic.

Reviewed 20 November 2015

My sister and i did 12mi, from Haypress to Little Harbor camping at Blackjack and then Little Harbor. Beautiful. On the beach. This was the most difficult hike i've ever done. All ups and downs. No switchbacks. No shade and we did it in early November. The island is very dry now. very scrubby and parched. Do not attempt this hike in summer. We didnt see buffalo until we got to Two Harbors.

2  Thank renee2012
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

Hiked to the top of the ridge from a beach and back down. Great views (if you're not in the clouds) and a good chance of seeing deer or buffalo.

1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 15 August 2015

We hiked the trail from Avalon to Two Harbors, spending the first night at Blackjack campground. The last ascent into the camp was a killer! We saw deer, fox, and bison while on the trail. The mile markers and trail signs are fairly new and easy enough to follow. I needed all 3 litters of water each day, refilling at the campsites. Wonderful views, and only saw other hikers at the campgrounds - almost like we had the island to ourselves!

3  Thank Lee T
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2015

I'm a runner, and whenever I travel I always scope out the best places to run. Our cruise ship had a stop in Catalina for the day so I was excited to check out the Trans-Catalina Trail. I was not disappointed. I was a little worried about taking a wrong turn and getting lost, but the trail was well marked. Starting and finishing at the dock, I ended up running 12 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing. At the top you can see the ocean on both sides of the island. The trail is pretty barren and dry so bring your own water. There are some off-shoots so you can add some other trails into the mix if you want. At the end of the run I jumped into the ocean for a nice little swim along the beach. I had taken the first shuttle over from our ship, and my wife took one a couple of hours later and meet me at the dock. We then spent a wonderful day in Avalon together.