“Great Hike”

Trans-Catalina Trail
More attraction details
Owner description: The Trans-Catalina Trail stretches 37.2 miles from the Renton Mine Trailhead on the East End to Starlight Beach on the West End. It winds up hills and down valleys offering spectacular views across the 43,000-acre Nature Preserve of the Catalina Island Conservancy known as Catalina's wildlands. The picture is of Parsons Landing.
Reviewed 22 August 2015 via mobile

Hiked to the top of the ridge from a beach and back down. Great views (if you're not in the clouds) and a good chance of seeing deer or buffalo.

1  Thank Paul G

Reviewed 15 August 2015

We hiked the trail from Avalon to Two Harbors, spending the first night at Blackjack campground. The last ascent into the camp was a killer! We saw deer, fox, and bison while on the trail. The mile markers and trail signs are fairly new and easy enough to follow. I needed all 3 litters of water each day, refilling at the campsites. Wonderful views, and only saw other hikers at the campgrounds - almost like we had the island to ourselves!

3  Thank Lee T
Reviewed 21 July 2015

I'm a runner, and whenever I travel I always scope out the best places to run. Our cruise ship had a stop in Catalina for the day so I was excited to check out the Trans-Catalina Trail. I was not disappointed. I was a little worried about taking a wrong turn and getting lost, but the trail was well marked. Starting and finishing at the dock, I ended up running 12 miles with about 3,000 feet of climbing. At the top you can see the ocean on both sides of the island. The trail is pretty barren and dry so bring your own water. There are some off-shoots so you can add some other trails into the mix if you want. At the end of the run I jumped into the ocean for a nice little swim along the beach. I had taken the first shuttle over from our ship, and my wife took one a couple of hours later and meet me at the dock. We then spent a wonderful day in Avalon together.

Reviewed 26 May 2015

Lots of vertical. No water. Great views. No people. We just did a little part and then stuck to the road because I'm out of shape.