All reviews owners and staff oatmeal guacamole tile work the entire staff conference center private balcony a lovely stay take home sights and sounds other guests fruit trees few days lush gardens his wife horseback riding whole wheat bread
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Madre Tierra is a great place to stay in Vilcabamba. Peter and Gail go out of their way to attend to their guests needs. Each room is slightly different and all offer beautiful views of the "Valley of Longevity". The hosts look out for their guests and will help arrange for activities such as horseback riding and trekking. The massages in their spa are also first rate. This place has a calm, pleasing and cleansing effect on travelers. Highly recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Madre Tierra is located in a quiet area just outside of town but within walking distance of the town center. We walked to town every day, although there are taxis that charge $2 each way if you don't want to walk. The area around the hotel is quiet and beautiful. You can take a hike around the premises and enjoy great views of the rural homes and majestic mountains in the area. Part of the hike is uphill, so it is a workout, and you might encounter a dog or two along the way. They don't believe in leashes in this part of the world.

The breakfast was filling even if a bit redundant. We did enjoy the whole wheat bread made on the premises. We also had one dinner and a lunch there, which were all good and reasonably priced.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Vilcabamba has more than its share of American expats, and many are new age hippies looking for the fountain of youth. This part of the trip was disappointing to us, who wanted to experience more Ecuadorian culture. But that's not the fault of the hotel. I'd say Madre Tierra is the place to stay if you want to visit Vilcabamba.

Room tip: Select the rooms in the middle, good view but manageable stairs.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaraA919
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Madre Tierra resort is a very good value for the money. The personnel is very helpful and kind. The rooms are comfortable for families, very clean, extremely quiet at night, perfect for a good night sleep. The Spa offers a variety of services. The hotel is only five minutes away from the town and it's a $1.50 taxi ride to and from the main square. Nice breakfast!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Such responsive, lovely staff from the welcome desk to the owners, Peter and Gail. My emails and calls were answered right away and so graciously, even though I had a bit of a complicated spa request and a bunch of questions. We traveled with our two children, aged 8 & 10 years, and they immediately disappeared to explore the extensive grounds as soon as we arrived. The pool was also a hit with the kids. The room was a bit close when we arrived, but soon aired out when I opened the windows. The food at the restaurant was good, too. I especially liked the pesto pizza, though if you don't like a ton of cheese on your margarita pizza, you might want to note that when you order. Definitely check out the spa, even if it's just a 30 min massage. I was a little disappointed that the jacuzzi wasn't working. You might want to ring in advance if this is important to you. Lovely stay, and we'll definitely be back.

Room tip: Best views are in rooms that are higher up on the mountain, thus may be an uphill trek.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Abby S
Reviewed 16 June 2017

From the warm welcome I felt at home straight away and I enjoyed fabulous days, meeting interresting people from all over the world, being looked after with such a genuine openmindedness. I although can recommend the spa treatments. In the evenings, under widely coloured skies, the night falling in I took my daily refreshening swimm in the pool.......Thanks to everybody involved for these lovely days!

Room tip: a great variety of rooms available, so everybody can have his own favourite, great choice and great views everywhere!
Date of stay: June 2017