“Lovely grounds, spa and staff!”

Madre Tierra Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vilcabamba
Reviewed 11 July 2017

Such responsive, lovely staff from the welcome desk to the owners, Peter and Gail. My emails and calls were answered right away and so graciously, even though I had a bit of a complicated spa request and a bunch of questions. We traveled with our two children, aged 8 & 10 years, and they immediately disappeared to explore the extensive grounds as soon as we arrived. The pool was also a hit with the kids. The room was a bit close when we arrived, but soon aired out when I opened the windows. The food at the restaurant was good, too. I especially liked the pesto pizza, though if you don't like a ton of cheese on your margarita pizza, you might want to note that when you order. Definitely check out the spa, even if it's just a 30 min massage. I was a little disappointed that the jacuzzi wasn't working. You might want to ring in advance if this is important to you. Lovely stay, and we'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: Best views are in rooms that are higher up on the mountain, thus may be an uphill trek.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Abby S

Reviewed 16 June 2017

From the warm welcome I felt at home straight away and I enjoyed fabulous days, meeting interresting people from all over the world, being looked after with such a genuine openmindedness. I although can recommend the spa treatments. In the evenings, under widely coloured skies, the night falling in I took my daily refreshening swimm in the pool.......Thanks to everybody involved for these lovely days!

Room Tip: a great variety of rooms available, so everybody can have his own favourite, great choice and great...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2017

We had such a peaceful, rejuvenating 7 day stay at Madre Tierra! The meals were so good and healthy that we hardly wanted to eat anywhere else. Our room was spacious, clean and very well decorated with stunning views. The entire staff was friendly and helpful and the grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. We got to enjoy some spa time too....amazing massages!! We were looking for a relaxing South American vacation where we could visit local towns, hike, feel safe and be a part of the culture and Vilcabamba/Madre Tierra was exactly that! It way exceeded our expectations. Thank you Peter, Gail, Allison and Staff for helping make our first trip to South America unforgettable.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

This was my second time at Madre Tierra. 4 days total. I'm had a massage every day. The massage therapists are wonderful. The meals are delicious. The rooms I've had - 16 & 18 where both great. I feel very at home here. The staff will do everything they can to make your stay the best

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2017

My wife and I have been travelling around South America and mainly in Peru and Equador. We had been in Cuenca for 4 weeks and felt we needed a 'nature' change. A friend recommended Vilcabamba and Madre Tierra. The staff were fantastic, the hotel is unique, colourful clean and in a beautiful spot overlooking the mountains. We shouted ourselves the 3 hour total spa package and this was simply amazing, totally worth it, thank you Gloria, we will miss you!! the kitchen staff, housekeeping and Edwardo at the front desk attained our every need. Thanks everyone. All in all a great very relaxing stay. We will come back when we can.
Possibly my only constructive suggestion is maybe its time to invest in a new batch of towels. They were spotlessly clean but starting to show age.

Room Tip: we chose room 5, great hammock and views but I think they all have that.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilcabamba
28 km away
27.5 km away
No photo provided
Hostal Pucara
#10 of 14 in Loja

Been to Madre Tierra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!