“Very Impressive”
Review of Quinta Gameros

Quinta Gameros
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Chihuahua
Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

The grand 2nd empire huge house is impressive with all its ornamentation.
Inside is the most ornate art noveau furniture I have seen - some of it really over the top.
Not all rooms are furnished, but the ones that are, are amazing.
This is a facility that is still used so doesn’t have a landscaped yard but facade and interior are worth the visit.

1  Thank robynh762
"mexico"
in 7 reviews
"university"

Reviewed 15 March 2018

As my great great grandmother was born in Parral and took the family to the border city of Ciudad Juarez, but that is another story. I walked here from another museum. A lot of local places to eat on the way. The house itself will mesmerize you upon seeing it from the outside! It is a restored and lighter version of the 60s tv show The Munsters with Ed Guinn. I had visited before but it was before I started writing for Trip Advisor. Upon entering and paying the small fee, I requested to leave my shopping bag at the front. I really do NOt know if there is a guided tour or not. This is one of a few museums to offer bilingual descriptions of the rooms for those few English speaking tourists. One of the workers here told me the last person to live here was a woman named Eliza, but she had to vacate the house because she could not afford it and somehow it ended up in the university's hands

This house is a must for Mexican history buffs like myself who like old architecture, furniture, and more! You can view the unique work that artisans used to create on the high ceilings, walls, and really all over this house. Just describing each room would be like writing a book. As I viewed each room, I imagined how life was like at the turn of the century. There was a room with artwork displayed but I really did not pay too much attention to it. After I viewed the house, another worker told me that there is a small café in the backyard. I was going to go outside anyway. I was amused by the animals that the gardener created on the bushes especially the koala!

The personnel at the museum café was very friendly. At this time, I really wanted tea and not coffee. Omar told me that he just had green tea, but I said that it was fine. The tea was brewed from leaves and NOt a bag. There were other little snacks available for your sweet tooth. I also saw some cups and t shirts for sale but my bag was heavy enough already. When I left, I meant to ask to see if I could see the basement, but there were some other visitors asking questions; I was also tired and totally forgot to ask. So I guess I will leave it until next time

1  Thank Marta E
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Very interesting museum, now run by the University of Chihuahua, as a cultural center. The interior style is very much in the Baroque Style.

Mr Gameros, original owner built the mansion in 1907 for his wife. Unfortunately, his wife fell in love with the Architect and fled shortly before the Mexican Revolution of 1910. Mr. Gameros, with heavy heart of his love lost decided never occupied the Mansion and with the revolution in full swing fled to El Paso, Texas.

Each room is nicely presented with elaborate broquet furnishings and wall tapestries.

Worth a visit...last about 1-2 hours.

Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

We visited and joined a guided tour I this house. The interior design is amazing and worth watching, attention to detail and integration with nature. The art exhibited left something to the imagination, and my overall impression was that the students whose art was exhibited should enjoy more sex so that their art could focus on other themes. Then, again, that could well be said of many modern art museums around the world.