See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Sadly we were too late to book into Coffee Shack which we had consistently heard was fantastic, so were left to book Friends. It was nowhere near as good as we hoped, especially as it is such a nice area, but Friends just feels run down and poorly looked after. The restaurant did produce lovely food however which did save our stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2018

We had made arrangements; booked a spot for a camping trailer/power supply and paid in full almost a month before the time, however when we arrived in December it looked like a squatter camp, maybe worse as I'm sure squatters have better hygiene.

We were approached by drug dealers the minute we got out of our vehicles - who was supposedly the 'car guard' there. At first they couldn't find our booking and when they did, my boyfriend and I simply couldn't bring ourselves to stay there. No electricity, terrible toilet facilities and space for a two man tent - IF THAT. They then showed us another spot and it was even worse. Never have I witnessed a backpackers in such a state, clearly overbooked and capitalizing on the lack of accommodation available in the Village - which I find insulting.

Dirty place, litter everywhere and indifferent staff, they promised a refund and still we wait. We decided to take our chances and try find another spot as we had a fridge full of meat that was going to be spoiled if we stayed.

Luckily, the Coffee bay Caravan Park came to our rescue and went out of their way to accommodate us, even though they were fully booked! I'm sure they could see I had been in tears with a grueling trip from Jhb and a terrible start to our holiday with the treatment at Friends. I will highly recommend Coffee Bay caravan park.

Room Tip: Good for students with no standards
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I got to say, what a great time we had in Coffee bay.

On arrival at Friends we where warmly welcomed. Taken through to the main area shown around offered a drink. Extra activites where offered to us. Our room was not quite ready, so we had an amazing pizza then took a stroll to the beach which is just a stone throw away.

On arrival back our room was ready taken through. Clean, neat and a good comgortable bed to sleep on.

Every one was very friendly and help full. We did surging leasons and fished with the guys.

The food was amazing

The drumming was good fun and pulled every one together.

Thanks you so much for making us feel part if the family.

We will be back

Greg and Chey

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2018

This December I took my BF on his first Coffee Bay adventure! We spent 9 nights at Friends and had a Fantastic time ! we tried out 3 different rooms as our original booking was for room only ( due to availability) we requested to be moved should any ensuits become available, which Linda gladly assisted with :) In terms of accommodation the rooms were clean and painted quite radically which just added to the whole vibe! If you are looking for a rustic , happy , friendly spot this is for you! The staff who were all lovely really went out their way no matter what we needed, be it fresh Khosa bread from the kitchen ( Delish!) or even on those blurry eyed mornings coffee would magically appear thanks to Belinda, (I think this was her name, so sorry ) We have made friends for life and felt like part of the furniture when we left, we will definitely be back! Highlights were the fantastic Bomvu drummers every night, Moses you were so sweet and always a friendly face ! Jo you had great tips and secrets to share with us as well. Carl the owner, if you are lucky enough to meet him has the most incredible garden and just a wonderful soul! fresh fish braais, mussels you name it Friends will make it happen! Live music every night and just a great vibe over all... I am already missing it, sitting at my desk in smog filled JHB ! We will be back ! Thank you to everyone!

Room Tip: the love room was so nice and quiet and had a lovely little stoep with a forest view !
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2018

I hate to be negative on social media, but what we experienced at Friends Backpackers in December 2017/ Jan 2018 has left me with no choice.

The campsite is in a dire state - dirty, unsafe and unhygienic - the only toilet on the campsite was a filthy long drop, covered in urine and vomit, along with a constant swarm of flies. Toilet paper was also strewn all over the campsite, which we picked up in the end.

The braai area is adjacent to this, so one can only imagine the smells that hang in the air as you try to cook your food. The only basin and tap for food preparation in the whole campsite is located inside the outdoor shower. Both of these drains were blocked, resulting in used water flowing downhill and collecting in a dirty pool around the fireplace.

None of the facilities advertised were available to us - no fridge, washing facilities or flushing toilets.

Security was another major issue - The gate to the campsite was broken, and our cooler box was ripped open by pigs and other livestock that were free to wander into the area. There was also no security at night, except for a guard who we saw for a brief period on the night of the 31st of December. My friends had to intervene when a fight broke out between residents in the campsite.

We traveled far to be there (we live in Cape Town), after hearing how beautiful and enchanting Coffee Bay was. We came for a holiday, to relax, enjoy ourselves and recharge for the new year ahead, but instead we left feeling anxious and distressed.

We spoke to Linda, who I understand is the person in charge - who apologised for everything and claimed to be completely unaware of the foul state of the campsite - Linda then promised to refund us for our stay, but to date this has not happened. We have followed up numerous times but have received no response.

Definitely think twice before booking a stay at Friends Wild Coast Backpackers. I’m not sure where all the people who gave 5 star reviews were staying, but clearly it was not this place.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends