“Chance upon this... was a pleasant surprise ”

Shrimp Wagon Yanbaru Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 102 Restaurants in Nakijin-son
Price range: US$9 - US$18
Cuisines: Seafood, Hawaiian
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

We were eating the blue seal ice cream when we saw the crowd right opposite. Out of curiosity, we tried the original flavour garlic shrimp with rice. It cost 1000 yen. And surprisingly a huge crowd of customers.

Nonetheless, we love the shrimps which are cooked perfectly. Taste was awesome.Generous in their serving and well plated for an outdoor dining ...no wonder it's so popular

Reviewed 14 March 2017 via mobile

We drove all the way just to eat this. The prawns are fresh. The butter lemon was delicious. We also had the spicy version which was not bad. There were no spoons so it was difficult to eat the rice. Total cost was 2500¥. Many customers but they work efficiently. Only issue was there wasn't anywhere to eat. Maybe it was the cold season. I guess u could have a picnic at the beach but it was windy and cold.

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

Tantalizingly tasty! People who know me know that I do not like eating at food trucks, but this place may change my mind. I have eaten at this location twice and have been happily surprised both times to have the tastiest and juiciest shrimp that I have had on Okinawa. There are several flavors to choose from but if you like spicy, I recommend the Spicy Hot Garlic Shrimp. For those who like food without the spicy heat, then I recommend the Garlic Shrimp Butter and Lemon. The price is reasonable and they are open Monday through Sunday from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. They get busy so I would get there early to avoid the rush especially during tourist season. Just one caveat, it is outdoor seating so it can get uncomfortably hot during the summer. However, I will be back.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I've visited Kouri Island before but did not know about the Shrimp Wagon until my latest visit and I'm so glad I heard about it! It is delicious! Okinawan food is generally quite unique, heavily influenced by Japanese and Indian food, but the Shrimp Wagon serves Hawaiian-style shrimp, which is not as common on the island. They serve several different plates but their specialty is garlic shrimp. They serve generous portions at a decent price for an overall pleasant experience. The waiting time can be a little bit long--we put in an order of 7 plates and it took about half an hour--but there's a small beach nearby where you can walk along the ocean to kill some time before returning to get your food. The eclectic food truck pairs perfectly with the quaint vibe of Kouri island and makes for an enjoyable afternoon outing.

Reviewed 30 December 2016

If you're into prawns, this is a MUST go and eat. Enuff said by many, its simply delicious. Located to the right side of bridge just as you enter Kouri island.