See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 July 2018

A great experience and very nice place to stay..ocean view is worth it ,,staff very friendly and helpful....most spoke enough English for us to get by.. the free breakfast in the morning is worth it too.our room and washroom was big enough, also.. We enjoyed the balcony facing the ocean beautful day or night. Didnt use the pool..bathing cap required..this puzzled me I thought this ended in 1968..oh well the stairs or the shuttle bus make regular trips to the beach just down below..waves were great! My best quality about this hotel is its location..1 min from town on the ocean..worst quality.. bar fridge is TINY and not that cold..oh well..I would definitly go back.

Room tip: 1st floor Oceanview was amazing and well worth it
Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank 05Sicily2018
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Firstly, I must remove myself out of any modern concepts or expectations to review this hotel.
On the journey to Gioiosa Marea, we must have taken a trip through a time-portal to the 1980's, as we arrived at an hotel that revelled in the world of an italian version of hi-de-hi!......
When we arrived, I was winced at and a key was thrust into my mitt alongside a room number. We were instructed via the use of varied hand signals, to surrender our passports and sense of humour at the desk.
We used the flintstones-powered lift up to our room. On entering the room, my modern expectations automatically kicked in and a wave of utter disappointment swept over me. It was Butlin's on acid, the beds were basic even on a prison level and we even had industrial shutters courtesy of HMP BELMARSH, that we had to open and close, when the cleaners had been in to dust a postage stamp area of the room.
Once the natives had got used to our pasty, english faces they were relatively warm and friendly. At the start I was under the impression that we would end up placed against the wall by the end of the week....
As a matter of our over-bearing friendly nature they crumbled and succumbed to us. They kindly (and eventually) showed us the pool and dining area. I prodded and poked them about sporting activities and it turns out that they have a Tennis and football courts, a bodybuilding(ish) gym and all round fitness centre at a location 5 mins walk away. We spent most mornings there and it was the highlight of, certainly my, stay.
The beach is more rocky than a rocky thing in rocksville but if your a surfer then you would be in the luck. The waves are massively insane and I, in a very manly way, entered a full foot into the water before being swept to my girly screamed almost-death by the mighty ocean. When even the Sicilians run away from the waves, you know your best off out of it.....
The breakfast is a very small buffet affair and is not really up to much but unless your willing to have a 20 mins leg stretch into town each morning, you don't have much of a option.
We ate out each evening and we did so to take in the unspoilt nature of the seaside town and to get to know a bit of Sicily. As a result I can't really comment on the true nature of the food within the hotel.
Did Capo Skino win us over after 3 nights with it's reminiscent 1980's charm and HMP room accessories? Did it's secret fitness centre redeem it's lack of enthusiasm for Johnny foreigners???

Well, yes it did, but only because we had entered a 1980's time tunnel on the way into town and because by the end of the 3 nights I had an affinity with the tennis court with my child......

Room tip: The Cat A prison option
Date of stay: July 2014
6  Thank marknuttall
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We spent a week at this hotel in August. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough to help us. We met only one other english speaking family during the week and the hotel seemed popular with mainly Italian families. However the staff were friendly and went out of their way to include us and make us feel welcome. We particularly appreciated our special treatment in the restaurant where the staff went over the menu with us every night. We also enjoyed our late night chats with Giuseppe at the bar.
The rooms were kept immaculately clean and tidy. The shower cubicle was a little small but it was adequate.
The hotel ran a minibus up and down to the beach but we found the walk was very easy and did not use it. The beach was very rocky so remember to bring water shoes. However there was never a problem getting a free sun lounger and an umbrella at any stage of the day.
The only disappointment we had was that the hotel swimming pool closed between 12.30 and 15:30 each day. You also have a wear a swimming cap in the pool.
The best thing about the hotel was the food. An antipasti buffet was served every night and to be honest we could have filled up on this alone even without the pasta and meat courses! The menu was varied and delicious every night and included wine.
The location of the hotel was great for day trips to stromboli and the islands however it was a little remote from the other main tourist destinations in Sicily. The roads around the hotel were a little tight for driving on especially out towards Patti however a car is necessary if you want to travel about the island. Definitely bring a Sat Nav! The hotel had free car parking which was great.
Overall we had a brilliant time at the hotel and found it exceptional value for money.

Room tip: Definitely worthwhile paying the extra for a sea view balcony room. The view of the bay is fantastic
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank loumagee77
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I enjoyed a week in this hotel! It located on a rock above the water and provides a great view on Tyrrhenian Sea. Staff is helpful and smiling, most of them speak at least basic English (rarity on Sicily). Furniture in room is old but unbroken, convenient and clean, only shower cabin should be larger. The hotel has its own beach with sunbeds and umbrellas. Sea is fantastic, the water is clear and warm! Animation team makes a rich program (but almost all on Italian). And finally: special Sicilan Dinner on Friday was super!

Room tip: If you have a choice - choose sea-view rooms, view is fantastic!
Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank yurisolo
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My family and I stayed here for a day and had a great time. The location of the hotel is probably the best one in town, right above the sea. It was lovely to wake up and hear the waves of the ocean, with the window open. They have sea-facing or hill-facing rooms. The price was a baurgain. Food was great, by hotel standards. The hotel is not new, but it is clean and people there are very very friendly. They have swimming pool, jacuzi, animators, evening events, care for children, they organise trips to the nearby Eolian Islands, scuba diving classes, and lots more.

Room tip: Go for the sea-view room. The sun sets on the ocean, amazing view. You can also hear/sea the waves.
Date of stay: July 2011