“Such a Lovely holiday so peaceful and relaxing”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Southover

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
brand new hot tub!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
gilliansa...
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Such a Lovely holiday so peaceful and relaxing”
Reviewed 20 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

I have read all the reviews now this is mine and I will be totally honest and no moaning, When we arrived I thought oh what a lovely cottage and lovely location, I did think OMG its on the river will it fall in but its been there for years (just me being silly) but walking though the front door it was just so warm and welcoming and as soon as you walk in you can see the lovely view wow I said this is lovely, the lady who showed us around was very nice explained everything and did the boat safety thing, all the rooms were clean, she explained the ice making machine was broken but had left plenty of ice to last us, The cooker is a bit of a challenge but once mastered its ok I cooked 2 roast dinners and other meals and no problems, the floors in the cottages are uneven and in our bedroom they did slope and our bed did have wooden blocks on 1 side to make it level but that's what you get in an old cottage it was quite funny really just adds to the character, getting up in the morning and going out on the decking watching the river, boats and wildlife was just amazing just be aware if it rains it can be slippery, the lounge was very comfortable in the evenings watching the Television or playing games,Now for a few points you need to bring everything for the kitchen I have stayed at other cottages so I know, I did do a Sainsburys order so I didn't have to load the car, and they delivered on time which was great. 2 of the bathroom only have hand held showers but the en-suits have showers so people can use those and it was not a problem, the room over the boat shed did have a strange smell (but I think it was the water underneath) Once the windows had been opened it did go away but keep them open, We did not use the hot tub but it did have a leak which I was told was going to be fixed, the only thing Robert just put some bars of soap in the bathrooms so when you arrive and need the loo you have something to wash your hands with, the boat is a bonus (I really don't like water) but I felt quite safe and my dog loved it. Thank you for a lovely holiday this is a true account of my holiday

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: The Location
Liked least: No where to walk my dog off lead
Friends getaway People with pets
21 Apr 2016
Thank you and I've taken your points on board the soap thing is health and safety re allergies gone mad if I supply it I could be liable !!!! So I don't ! Even salt sugar and pepper need to be in sealed bags! We do supply coffee tea and biscuits all sealed with a new pint of milk on arrival but cannot do soap etc thanks again for review
EDrizzle
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but owner needs to learn some serious customer service skills”
Reviewed 20 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016
people found this review helpful

This review is split into two. It's a review of my experience with the owner and a review of the property as I think it's important to separate them.

On the 4th September 2015 I booked Southover for the 8th - 11th January 2016, paying the deposit of £293. This was a mini-break to celebrate my impeding 30th birthday with 9 of my friends. The place looked beautiful, and for a few of us - the pool table was appealing as we play amateur pool!

On the 7th October, a month before needing to pay the remaining balance of £603, I received an email saying "The owner requires a Good Housekeeping bond of £300. It's due 7 days in advance via bank transfer. If the property is left in an acceptable condition, then the bond will be returned to you via bank transfer within 14 days of departure". Due to the fact that I'd already paid the deposit I thought it was unfair to throw this at me with only two months to go until the holiday. Especially as Christmas was in between and had only been 14 days prior to our arrival date. I contested this, understanding the reason for the bond, but requesting it be introduced to new customers booking from now, rather than customers that have already booked and paid the deposit. Sykes, who I booked this through were very understanding and I believe they worked hard for me but the owner did not budge. I suggested meeting the owner / housekeeper at the property upon our arrival with £300 cash for them, and being given the £300 cash back on our time of departure once he could see the property was left in a perfect state - this was refused. In December I requested the bond be reduced as was struggling to find the money, still no budging. The only compromise the owner offered me was that I could pay the money the day before. This put a massive cloud over not only this mini-break but my birthday itself. I wasn't prepared to ask all my friends for £30 each as getting this from nine people and returning it would be such a faff, so in the lead up to my birthday and subsequently after, I had to go without a significant amount of money due to this.

Two days before we were due to arrive I got an email saying that the money would now be returned to me via cheque - thus adding a further minimum 5 days to me getting the money back, in total putting me £300 down for almost an entire month. I again contested this and it was finally agreed that the money would be returned back to me via bank transfer within 14 days of departure - a timescale I will never understand.

The day before we were due to arrive I contacted the housekeeper to arrange key collection as requested, via text - on the number provided. I was told I had to arrive at 14:45 for the boat briefing. 14:45 had been mentioned in correspondence with Sykes, but I naively assumed this was the time to arrive from, not the only time we could arrive to get briefed for the boat. I was told if we couldn't make if for that time we could rearrange within the next 24 hours - at a cost of £25. Sadly, none of my party could arrive for that time and without wanting another expense to be added to the holiday, we had to go without using the boat.

The text I received from the housekeeper wasn't the nicest you could expect from someone in charge of a holiday home, and then the owner intervened with text messaging. Again, not the most pleasant or welcoming of messages. The customer service I received from the owner from start to getting my money back was quite shocking. I was told "One of your party needs to arrive at 2:45/3pm as per your info. I cannot ask housekeeper to wait at her expense". To be given a window of 15 minutes to arrive is terrible.

Jumping to trying to departure and obtaining my money back now - we left the property a day early purely due to work commitments for most of us. I'd sent the owner a text asking where to leave towels, where we throw rubbish away and what is expected of us when we leave (such as cleaning / hoovering etc). I got a reply regarding towels and rubbish but nothing was mentioned of how to leave the place. Admittedly, I was nervous by this - I certainly felt concerned that I hadn't left the place clean enough to get my money back. Two days after departure I sent a text message to the owner giving my bank details and asking when the money was likely to be returned. 24 hours, still no reply - and he had previously replied very quickly. Again, adding to the nervousness. I sent another message regarding the return of the money saying the lack of reply had made me nervous and can he advise when the money will be returned. I got a very rude response and it was explained that the money would be returned as per the terms and conditions of the contract I entered into. Sadly, I had no choice but to enter into that contract as the owner had me over a barrel when the Good Housekeeping bond was thrown at me. I certainly didn't agree with them, but had no choice but to adhere to them as I didn't want my birthday celebrations ruined by having to cancel the holiday. There is absolutely no reason for the £300 to be held on to for 14 days, especially given other people had entered the property in that time. I have now got my money, 9 days after departure. The reason for him requiring my money for that length of time? I will never know.

Now my review of the property. First and foremost, it is in a beautiful location and every member of my party adored the place. It was big enough for us all, so spacious, clean, tidy and quiet. We all found the beds very comfy and seating was plentiful. Sofas catered for all 10 of us and we loved sitting around the big table playing games and eating together.

However, there were a handful of negative points. There was no welcome pack explaining anything - no details of spare towels, toilet rolls, dishwasher tablets etc. There were only two dishwasher tablets out for 10 of us for three nights and no washing up liquid. One room had no towels but thankfully two people bought their own. Only two rooms had actual showers, the others had shower hoses half way up the wall, about 2ft up. The power showers were not free of limescale and the jets didn't work properly, we all had to use the hose instead. I was stunned that there were no toiletries of any kind, not even hand soap in any of the bathrooms. It would have been incredibly helpful to have warning of this so we could have brought our own. Unfortunately, there was no triangle for the pool table to rack the balls up so we barely used the table, which was the sole reason for booking the place. We also couldn't play pool when the people staying in the veranda room were in there sleeping as the window between the pool room and their bedroom was broken and completely open, so they would have been disturbed by the noise.

I rate the property 3/5 and the dealings with the owner 1/5. He certainly doesn't want repeat custom the way he treats his customers.

Travelling group: Large Group
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
15 Mar 2016
I'll keep it factual.....since this guest arrived 5hrs late how could I have collected deposit in cash? Boat briefer happy comes back when guests are late for £25 28 mile round trip! We don't supply any lotions potions perishables or cot bedding for the simple reason once opened I I have know way of dealing with allergy issues etc we are self catering I repaid her Deosit 5 days early in full despite the spare boat fuel gong walk about '. The window referred to was internal , we were changing it to a door one pane was removed to check Flôor levels and replaced with solid plastic , I'm sorry lack of a pool triangle completely spoiled her trip , it's been replaced . I'm also disappointed not to live up to her sense of entitlement . I'm working on it :)!
335ralph6...
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Property for Location, Celebration and Sheer Pleasure”
Reviewed 11 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015
people found this review helpful

I had the pleasure of staying here with my family and friends to celebrate a special Birthday. A wonderful property that the photo's don't do justice to. From the moment of arrival to leaving - absolute bliss. The Boat - great, Hot Tub - very well used and everyone on coming into Southover said Wow what a beautiful place.
The view from the verandah overlooking the River, Every Bedroom was well presented.
This is a property full of character, with everything we needed for 9 Adults a Baby and a Dog. More than enough of Crockery and Cutlery with ample seating for all around the Table. Clean and very well presented.
I am more than happy to recommend this property to all.

Liked best: Location and Charactwer of the Property
Liked least: Nothing to dislike
Travelling group: Large Group
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Richard B
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Excellent accommodation, facilities, location and a very helpful owner”
Reviewed 3 July 2015 for a stay in June 2015

We usually holiday on a cruiser but chose this as we have a new baby in the family. We had a wonderful holiday and found the accommodation to be as appealing as the pictures on the website. With a canoe, 5-seater boat, fishing, hot-tub and beautiful location it would have been difficult not to have had a great time. There is something for everyone........and a very helpful owner! We shall certainly be coming back.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and accommodation
Liked least: The end of our holiday!
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
TadleyKat...
tadley
“What a huge let down”
Reviewed 29 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

On getting out of the car we were met with the smell of drains and the sight of an abandoned boat and a rickety worn fence, the person appeared to greet us and informed us that we were early and that the house was not safe, she told us to come back in half an hour which we did, we then had the guided tour and the bitter disappointment started to set in, we could see the house was different from the pictures we had seen and was very worn, after she had left we went down to the shop and brought loads of cleaning equipment and all 6 of us set to work for a couple of hours.
the kitchen wasn't clean
We had to de cobweb the house
The bathroom in the annexe was mouldy ( the towels got covered in it when put on the rail ) and the floor was rotten and stank ( despite air fresheners and bleaching the walls etc the smell didn't go away )
the fluffy blue blanket in the annex was badly covered with stains
The ice maker didn't work ( she said the previous guests had broke it )
The cushions were covered in god knows what stains and dog hair
The dining table sags in the middle and later in the week it caused a panic when it started to collapse with our tea on it so we had to bodge it up to last the week
The railings on the veranda were very wobbly despite being told they had been repaired ( they were still very unsafe)
the hot tub appeared to have a leak and we had to keep it topped up on the advise of the lady that showed us around. ( which we had to do twice daily..which resulted in not very hot water at some points)
There were over the bath showers but no curtains or screen which made things very difficult.
The boat that we thought we were going to go out on a picnic on was filthy, and later in the week after we had been using it, the broads authority man came to do an inspection as it had previously failed it's safety test, so we were using it without the safety certificate which we have since been told was illegal.
the house itself is in a prime location and we could not have wished for better views of the river, we paid a lot of money for the week and expected more than we got and in hindsight it was only worth less than half of what we paid, it's such a shame because the house has so much potential but has been neglected.
we feel that even though the house is old and tired if it was clean it wouldn't have been so bad but the cleaning team have unfortunately let the owner and the guests down.

Liked best: The view
Liked least: The dirt
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
3 Jul 2015
Point by point. The trailer is for boat recovery if it breaks down. The work boat on it is for essential maintenance on a riverside property the picket fence is to seperate children and dogs from cars.there are laminated instructions for control of temp re hot tub. It needs topping up after use.there is a draw full of ice behind de spencer lever awaiting spares. A new floor had been laid in bathroom damaged by a leak it has now been decorated. The boat was upgraded whilst they were there as normal after an inspection.the 8ft sq table had been repositioned without testing the central legs.a remark to my cleaner about an area full of film stars and millionaires suggests a touch of the green eyed God! One phone call would have resolved there complaints.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing