All reviews private bath peeing boy cable car iya onsen stunning views hotel shuttle the river massage chair bose sound system beef no lift open air onsen remote location free shuttle relaxing area both breakfast and dinner own transport
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed in one of their Japanese style rooms (with private bathroom) for 2 nights in mid April. I initially wanted one of the rooms with open air bath, and attempted to make a reservation 3 months in advance, but they were booked out. I had to reschedule my itinerary so that I can stayed in a room with at least private bath (Make sure that you book far in advance to get the room that you like). I booked on Agoda and paid about 580AUD per night for 1 person. I think the price was reasonable for the type of room the meals and the onsen.

I drove to the hotel from Okayama. The drive (across the Seto sea as well as route 45 and 32) was very nice and interesting, but was tiring (I drove alone). The amount of tolls charge were also very expensive (I paid about 20000¥ of toll in total). May be it would be cheaper to catch public transport to somewhere closer or to Oboke station and rent a car from there.

I also drove the route 439 between the hotel and the Okuiya Niju Kazura Bashi vine bridge. This one was particularly even more difficult and tiring. I have more than 10 years of driving experience, but still found this route challenging as I was not used to driving on the very narrow and bend road. (I scratched my rental car on route 439 while reversing to give way to a large truck. Luckily I had the top insurance cover for accident, so I didn’t have to pay for the damage)

The view from the room was amazing with the lush green vegetation on the mountain, the deep gorge, the river, and the clouds out side the window in the morning. The bath room also had excellent view of the mountain. The room had a massage chair, a stereo and a few relaxation music CDs. They were perfect for resting.

I didn’t have onsen in my room, but their public baths were nice. The 2 public baths were next to the river, which offered great view. For each bath, the time assigned of each gender were alternated depending on the time of the day. (Make sure that you check carefully before entering).The water had Sulphur content so the smell wasn’t very nice, but the skin felt really smooth after bathing. The cable car ride to and from the hot spring was fun.

Both breakfast and dinner were served in the restaurant. The meals were well presented, but were not the best kaiseki. May be I was so used to private dinning during my stays in a number of ryokans that I found eating in the busy dinning hall with a few dozens of other guests just spoiled my relaxing time.

Even though the staff at the restaurant couldn’t speak English, they were really nice. A lady gave me an English menu when she found out that I’m not Japanese.

In summary, I really liked the onsen, the room and the surrounding scenery. The dinning experience can be improved. I will definitely come back when I have a chance.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

I really love the location of this hotel. We stayed there in April in the middle of the lushness of spring. All we can see from our room (obviously facing the mountain side) was green. So you have to ask for mountain side, otherwise you might be disappointed.

Our room has a western style bed but the lounge is tatami settling. The bath is outside on the balcony - that’s where the shower is too so it can be a bit cold.

The rate comes with breakfast (western or Japanese option) and dinner which is nice, although portions are big. We had to bail out of our last few dishes for dinner!

The onsen is down the valley by the river. You have to take the hotel cable car down. If you can, try the private onsen - really peaceful to have the onsen to yourself with the nice scenery overlooking your onsen.

The only potential downside to this hotel is that it’s not in the town area so you might have to spend a little bit on the taxi. But the hotel has a shuttle (I think twice a day) to the train station. If you are not planning to do much and just enjoy nature, this shouldn’t be a problem.

We stayed here for 2 nights. My only regret is not staying longer. I will be planning to go back again - hopefully in the not-so-distant future.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jution
Reviewed 29 January 2018

The hotel is a bit remote. Most remote areas are wonderful. If you are a city driver, extra attention when driving as some roads are narrow. We love the onsen and autumn here. We enjoyed the cable car operator inviting us feeding the birds. It was extra fun moment to us too. So sweet of the hotel creating this experience. Too bad there was no lift for luggage. Unlike to in bound traveller, we got big luggage as we were from other parts of the world. So be prepared with light ones. You may not want to hotel staffs carrying such heavy items up.

Room Tip: All rooms look over the valley are good
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2017

The drive to the hotel wasn't for the faint hearted, especially as we were travelling in winter and night had fallen. I presume it will be very difficult to get there without your own transport. The hotel was amazing. We stayed in a traditional room with an outdoor bath. Room was spacious but yet, cosy for the 4 of us. We initially wondered how we were going to walk out in the cold to get to the bathtub but we did and it's really something having a bath in the open in winter and looking out into the valley covered with clouds. The light snowfall outside just added more to the whole winter setting. We had our multi-course meals in the restaurant. Food was so beautifully prepared and delicious. Service was impeccable and although English wasn't very well spoken throughout the hotel, the service staff kept trying and trying so hard to understand us and cater to all our requests - amazing. We tried the private onsen at the valley floor - small but intimate, and again the amazing views.

Totally recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the Iya Valley.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2017

The location is stunning. On the drive to the hotel we were amazed by the beauty of the valley, but, being a suspicious sort of person, I wondered if the actual hotel would live up to the site. It did, in spades. Wonderful food, served by kind and attentive staff, who went out of their way to ensure we enjoyed every aspect of the food.
Our room was very good, very well equipped and comfortable, with a view over the valley that we kept returning to.
A highlight of the hotel are the open air onsen. Fed directly from the hot springs by the hotel, Personally I could have stayed there for hours, soaking in the warm mineral waters, while looking at the wonderful scenery just over the rim of the bath.
We will be returning to Japan, and will definitely book here again. Loved it.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple