All reviews golf course the ritz carlton beautiful hotel heat experience bottled water italian restaurant king bed indoor pool the hotel offers breakfast was excellent professional staff service was impeccable japan trip lobby lounge golf resort your luggage hotel staff
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Let me preface this review by saying that I have been reading reviews of hotels and restaurants on TripAdvisor for the past eight years. I have never felt the need to create an account in order to write a review, until now.

The Ritz in Okinawa is most definitely not for everyone. It is not cheap, it is quite elaborate and I would say that it is geared towards couples, adults and honeymooners, rather than young families with children. That being said, if you are one of the latter who appreciate luxury travel, without a doubt this will be the greatest hotel you ever stay at.

My girlfriend and I recently escaped the hustle and bustle of Tokyo and traded that in for a four night stay in Okinawa before continuing our two-week tour of mainland Japan. We would be celebrating her birthday and our one-year anniversary of being together. Therefore, I wanted to surprise her with something special that we would both remember. After doing some research, I landed on the Ritz because it had such great reviews (for good reason). I splurged on a premier deluxe room, which would make the stay at the Ritz all the more special. Let me make this clear; it is the Ritz Carlton. All of the rooms will be nice. I only stayed in the premier deluxe and thus that is all I can speak about and recommend to you. If you can justify the cost, just do it. There will be no regrets.

Let's start with the property because that is the first thing you see as a visitor. It is beyond stunning. You pull up to a large driveway that leads up the slope of the hill to what looks like the entrance to an old school country club. On your ride towards the top you pass the pristine kept golf course. At the very top you are greeted by staff as they walk you inside the open concept Japanese style building. From the moment you step in, you realize this hotel is going to be a different experience. The high ceilings, the smell of wood, the marble columns and the views from the multiple open doorways across room. On your way to check in you start to get a sense of the intricate structure of the hotel, surrounded by lantern-lit walkways, exterior waterways passing through the modern architecture and of course breathtaking views of the bay below and Nago in the distance.

Once you are checked in you are escorted up to your room on the opposite wing of the hotel. Everything is neat, clean and minimal in terms of design. Nothing is out of place. The large wooden door opens to our room and we walk in. Wow. The small entrance foyer leads to one of the largest hotel rooms I have ever seen. The automatic blinds open to reveal a balcony overlooking a stunning view of the bay and the sun setting into the sea. The room itself is the size of a one-bedroom apartment. Comfortable king bed, living room and a massive bathroom with sliding wooden doors for privacy. My favorite part of the whole room was bathtub which was encased into a floor to ceiling window overlooking the hotel.

The food at the Ritz in Okinawa is quite good. The prices are expensive but you get what you pay for. We tried every restaurant while we were there and we were never disappointed with the quality. Get the breakfast buffet every day. Trust me, this is a necessary expenditure. The spread is incredible, ranging from pancakes to Okayu (Japanese rice porridge). It was great because I would indulge in the Japanese style breakfast and my girlfriend would get a Western style breakfast, which accommodated her vegetarian diet. The coffee and juices are also amazing. One of our favorite parts of the day was sipping a coffee, listening to the birds and watching the sun rise over the bay of Nago. The restaurant is half inside and half outside so it has a real tropical feel.

Most people don’t realize but what separates a five-star hotel from a four-star hotel is the staff. Throughout our short stay at the Ritz in Okinawa we encountered so many amazing staff members. Keep in mind that these are professionals. They are well trained, they have incredible etiquette, they all want to make your time there the best it can possibly be but most of all they are kind and genuine people. From the moment you arrive to the moment your car pulls out of the Ritz driveway, guests are surrounded by smiling staff members ready to help. On so many occasions the staff went above and beyond what we asked of them, always trying to make our day more memorable than the last. It is an extremely well managed hotel.

Like I said at the beginning. This hotel is not for everyone but If you appreciate luxury and the finer things, this will be one of the nicest stays of your life. Time seems to slow down while at the Ritz in Okinawa. The proprietors truly understand what it means to relax. People are kinder, the food tastes better and sun always seems to be shining. I promise you that if you choose the Ritz in Okinawa as the setting for your next holiday; you will not forget it. I know that I never will.

Room Tip: Spring for a Premiere Deluxe Bay View Room!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Koji S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Dear DannyLengyel,

Thank you for selecting The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa for your get-away destination from hastiness of a big city and taking your time to write your first review on TripAdvisor.
I am pleased to read your positive experience from the entrance to the room and restaurants. Especially, your warm comments about staff and service made me really happy and, it surely will motivate all the ladies and gentlemen in the hotel.
Thank you very much once again for your patronage and we hope to have a pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

The RC Okinawa is probably the best hotel in Okinawa for a couple.

Hotel grounds
Peaceful and superbly designed with a very airy feel and stunning views to the bay, county club and mountains.

In the evening you can hear the natural wildlife and see the odd gecko.

Staff
This aspect was particularly notable. From check in to check out everyone we met showed genuine hospitality and was superbly pleasant.

A special mention must go to Motoi -san who showed us our room and explained the room functions. He happened to drive us to the beach and offer to drive us to the local restaurants too. A truly helpful gentleman who made our stay very memorable. Also to Chiaki-san who efficiently managed the front of desk and was always there to welcome us back and to ensure that everything was in order.

One morning we mistakenly went to the spa for morning yoga and when we discovered it was shut (7am) we called the reception who informed us it was in the lobby lounge and offered to send a buggy to pick us up - great initiative.

Valet parking and car was retrieved very fast each time.

Restaurants
Breakfast was excellent with a great selection of Okinawa and western choices. There was a split catering for those who were couples and those with families. Quality of food excellent. Coffe a little weak but easily resolved with an extra shot.

We tried the local tuna special on the first night and that was excellent.

Room
We had 623 which had sweeping views to Kise country club and the bay in the distance. Great beds. Plenty of fluffy robes, towels and anything else you may need including his and hers RC beach flip flops and a beach bag. Also some RC cardboard boxes in case you needed some additional luggage capacity for your souvenirs!

Facilities
The RC has nice grounds to wonder around. The spa club was serene. Morning yoga (complimentary) is offered with stunning views of water and fairway greens in the distance. The yoga teacher was lovely and spoke mostly in Japanese which was a great experience.

The upkeep of the hotel is well maintained.

Beach
As others have commented the beach is off site and the shuttle (on demand) takes you there in 5 Min.

There are some loungers and towels and water are provided by the hotel. The area is private for RC guests but as it’s not marked out it was also used by members of the public looking for shade and rest.

Not a problem for us as it was not busy but if it was then perhaps clearer signage is preferable.

Summary
Great stay and left rejuvenated. Hope to have the opportunity to return in the future!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Koji S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Dear Tamago_Dubai,

Thank you for selecting The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa for your recent stay in Okinawa and taking your time to sharer your warm feedback and pictures on TripAdvisor.
From the staff, restaurants, room to facilities, I am very pleased to read that you had a pleasant and memorable time with us. Especially, Motoi and Chiaki will definitely be motivated by your warm comments.
Once again, thank you very much for your patronage and review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

From the moment you step in to every interaction with the hotel staffs, this place exudes quality, tranquility, friendliness and attentive care. Mr. Motoi Otsuka made sure that everything was in place according to our needs and a real friendly person to interact with. The bar staff at the outdoor pool provided proactive, attentive and friendly service that made another memorable and joyful moment. We truly enjoyed our stay at the Ritz. Highly recommended!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Koji S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2018

Dear Travelgenesis

Thank you for selecting The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa for your recent visit to Okinawa and taking your time to share your feedback.
I am pleased to read that you had memorable and joyful moment in different areas of the hotel. Also, your warm comment about Motoi will definitely be a motivation for him and the rest of the ladies and gentlemen in the hotel.
Once again, thank you very much for your patronage and we hope to welcome you back when your travels bring you to Okinawa.

Reviewed 28 May 2018

This is a nice hotel and we have three nights stay. Room is spacious, breakfast is fine (offered Japanese style and western style), overall service is friendly, location is far away from Naha airport (no airport shuttle bus). Checking in experience was disappointed. We checked in at 5:00 pm and took 35 to 40 minutes for processing. They gave us a room at a lowest floor and we did not get a room what we paid for - a bay view room. We cannot change our room due to the fully occupancy. They only can change it till next day so the total time I spent for the check in issue is two hours. It is quite disappointed at the first beginning. Besides of that, we were happy for our stay.

Room Tip: get a better view at higher floor (fourth above)
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family

Dear Venus L

Thank you for your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa and taking your time for your review on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that the service was friendly and you were happy with your stay. At the same time, I greatly appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the check in process.
It is our mission to provide genuine care and comfort to our guests and your remark would certainly help us improve our services.
Once again, thank you very much for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Okinawa.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

My boyfriend and I just went for a two day get away and we chose the Ritz Carlton. As soon as we got there, we were so warmly welcomed. Our room was absolutely amazing. We stayed in the Ritz Carlton suit on the 7th floor. The views were amazing, and entire suit was extremely clean. We spent the entire three days that we were there, exploring and relaxing in this beautiful hotel. After dinner, we came back upstairs to a romantic setup. There were beautiful candles and champagne set up for the two of us, with music in the background. The second night we went out for dinner, we came back and again had another beautiful setup with a few treats awaiting us that said "Thank you for staying with us." They also prepared the jacuzzi and bathtub for us every time we left, this way when we returned, it would be all ready for us. I even came home to a beautiful assortment of flowers in the tub, I felt like a princess! I also loved how everywhere you went, the spa, restaurants, breakfast or even picking up the phone to call guest services because you have a question, everyone knows who you are and addresses you by your name. It made us feel very special and definitely well taken care of. This was by far the best hotel that I've ever stayed in. The amazing hospitality, extremely kind people, and beautiful grounds, this mini vacation couldn't have been more perfect. Thank you everyone at the Ritz Carlton for making this better than we could've ever imagined!

Room Tip: Any room you choose is going to be beautiful! They are all beautiful, intimate and share amazing views.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank taylorrr8226

Dear Taylorrr8226,

Thank you for selecting The Ritz-Carlton, Okinawa as your recent vacation destination and taking your time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in our suite. It is the feedback from guests like you that helps us motivate to deliver exceptional services. We sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future.
Once again, thank you very much for your patronage.