“Somehow in the 60's”

Crystal Crown Hotel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Klang
Reviewed 12 September 2014

I was in this hotel not on my own request(agent arranged), but I am a bit disappointed. Somehow the hotel “lives” in the 60’s and if I have a choice – I will try to avoid it somehow.

Generally is not so bad place for one, max two nights – you will survive, but …

Room – like a size is Ok, very high and with very old furniture inside. You can see easily the “time damages” over it and not on the last place – guests activities! At least was clean, but there was some smell inside. Bed for me was somehow strange and not so comfortable as it movable(has wheels), making strange noise and is a little short – at least as per me. Matrass was OK or maybe I imagine that was like this due to long flight :)!

Air-condition worked quits well, but adjusting is a little challenge :)! First you must find the switch – located not in the usual place – above the room mirror+light above it – luckily I am 1.91m and I can reach easily :), but below size will be quite difficult, may be :)! But I had a feeling that is just a switch and nothing more – turn left, turn right, room temperature is the same! The best(at least for my room) was using on/off buttons for controlling the temperature.

Room walls – visible cracks, minor dirty stains in the corners including spider nets and mould and dirt below the window.

Bathroom – hm, what to say – mould is running everywhere and is very bad view! HIGHLY recommended to use some solution based on bleach or even pure bleach to clean it and preventing spreading …. Bathtubs was “dirty” from time usage and require to be change into close future.

Wi-Fi internet – first of all you can ask, otherwise – forget! Then is coming the main battle – you can see at least three Hotel Wi-Fi hot spots from your room, but …. “Nobody is there”! Connecting is quite challenge and need ultra-calmness :)! Asking Front Desk personnel is useless as they cannot help you! I used two devices and the result was the same – showing that you are connected, but …. Connection on the lobby was the same – problems after problems and “nobody is there”. But connected to the “Brass Café” (restaurant) on the first floor which serves the breakfast – all is OK. What means – they have problems with some devices and nobody cares about it in the 21th century – Internet, Wi-Fi and so on ….

TV is more or less Ok and can help you do not become a “mad” for a while :) ….

They have two restaurants – Chinese one and “Brass café”. I entered Chinese one on the first evening, but was “so full”(understand 2 tables) that nobody paid attention to me and I left after few minutes waiting! Then I shifted to the “Brass café” where the situation was quite different and they served me at once! Comments on the food quality and taste are useless as I am European and I cannot judge the local one! At least the Burgers/Sandwiches are OK.

Doing something around – hm, I don’t know to have something and/or at least I didn’t see! Yes it is high building and you can see all around and this is the all! Back from “work” and start fighting with Wi-Fi connection :)!

About personnel – They seems Ok as per me and polite and smiling! Front desk guys are OK, but on the coat of one of them had some dirty stains which you can see it “from a hundred kilometers” and is not good impression for first view! May be they appeared a “minute” ago and he didn’t has a chance to cleaned properly, may be ….

As I read other comments – it is looks that opinions like mine are common! May be like one of them said: “Basically a business hotel at strategic location.” - fully agree!

Just for a short period you can survive here as there are worse places at all …..

Room Tip: May be higher floor,close to the "middle",understand the elevators - just for better Wi-Fi...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Emiliyan
There are newer reviews for Crystal Crown Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We passed through I believe suburb of Port Kelang and arrived to only building which has more than 2 floors, in fact hotel has 15 floors. Out of the car and on reception. Lobby did not look impressive at all. In fact it looked like entrance to some supermakets in China. I asked about restaurants and they told me up is Chinese and down on the right western style. Checked in for week, got key (cards) and went up with elevator. I spent some 2-3 min swiping card in order to unlock room doors and in meantime looking in that digital part of lock which was drilled (holed through) on 4-5 places with knife or screwdriver. It is on yours and my mind to guess why lock looks like that?

Inside room; spacious ok, left luggage on the floor, locked room and look around. All so, so, so old, furniture with stains, dirty, smells around. Acually now I regret that I did not turn around and went straight away. I open backpack and took out laptop. Searching for power socket around room but NO HAVE?! All lamps around; 2 on bed-side, 1 on table are with cord connected directly into the wall. Probably in order to avoid somebody stealing them? Finally I found socket next to the coffee table where was plugged in one lamp but unplugging it and plugging laptop in there was no more light there? Plug in, started laptop, log into hotels WiFi, open hotspot logging in explorer in order to enter user name and password but this I had to enter around 20 times prior it accepted it. There was no problem with user name or password as it was simple but did not want to get through. There was no problem with WiFi signal as well as I used long range antenna where signal was around 90%. I even wanted to call reception. Ok, finally that was done and manage to dig trough some mails. After that I started TV – all programs with horizontal stripes over entire screen and the ones without you cannot see at all. Some machinery in hotel must make this disturbance. It happen few times that stripes disappear but then it came back again. So, TV was simply not good to watch. I was not so happy about as I wanted to watch football early morning as World Cup 2014 was ongoing. Regardless, I set the alarm clock for midnight. Then I decide to go to dinner but before I go I wanted to adjust air-con. I need some time to find thermostat but finally I did. Close to ceiling, I had to stand on top of my fingers to reach the knob (I am 1.78m); what kind of location for thermostat is this?

Dinner “western restaurant”
Me: Beer please?
Waiter: sorry, no alcohol drinks in hotel, only soft drinks, coffee, tea.
Me: ok, sparkling water, mushroom soup and Beef tenderloin (direct description: grilled with chef special recipe, mixed vegetables, minced potato, coleslaw with black pepper sauce)
…waiting…waiting…waiting
Finally waiter came and brought all 3 at the same time???! Soup was tasteless and as expected very hot. Had to eat it fast, what was not easy as main course (meat and the rest) is getting cold. Finally, soup was done and I shift quickly to main course. Beef was already close to cold (just worm), sauce as well. Potato was “dead” cold, really cold direct from fridge (but not frozen!). Did they ever hear about microwave? I do not expect that they make as they called “minced” potato in 20min but at least could worm it up. Anyhow, now vegetables: white cabbage on the right and red cabbage on the left. Both were plain, fresh cut and red without any dressing; so this is so called “mixed vegetables? I had to eat fast in order not to eat really all cold. Ofcourse cabbage I skip. I was eating fast just to fill up stomach as this was nothing but pure filling the belly. Upon coming to room I took a shower: moving knob to cold (blue) water was getting more hot and moving then to (red) colder. I was always thinking that is should be opposite?

At around midnight I woke up to watch football; guess? On sport channel (with stripes) they were transmitting grass hockey or whatever it is called. Who now watches this thing during World Cup? I scroll through programs but nothing from football. Finally I decide to watch via live streaming on laptop but that was not really successfully as connection was getting loosed all the time. Very frustrating!
This place is not worth even to stay for one night!

As this was arranged by agent for me I call him immediately to change hotel as one more night staying here is simply not acceptable. In the morning I checked out.

Final consequence of staying there: morning after I spend with permanent running to the toilet with stomach pain thx to that food there as it cannot be anything else.

There are at the time of this review 3 much better hotels here near-by

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank CJM1985_75
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Everything is old here. The furniture, TV, appliances, room view. But the place is easy to find. Probably the only building higher than two storey in the vicinity. Eating place is just behind the building.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

The rooms was old with old furnishings... The tap was leaking and the whole outlook was quite bad, sad to say. Given a choice would not have choose to stay here but my job trip was pre arranged by shipping agent thus no other alternatives given.Size of room was fine just the interior looks very old. For a rest should be ok. buffet breakfast was a letdown too.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank shahrulayun
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A Person who is visitig Port Klang only and not frequent visit to KL Can stay here compere to hotel price wise okey, with restaurant and with small swimming pool, room wise okey according to prices this is silence place where you can stay without noise areas, as per my opinion i feel comfortable here, Wifi services need to improve,

Room Tip: If you are staying long than you can have on the top floor 9th and above
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business