All reviews infinity pool costa rica chef pablo the general manager sushi chef living room wonderful staff sushi night view of the ocean local restaurants pura vida rooms are beautiful dinner menu our entire stay little piece of heaven main building enjoy the view
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We stayed here for a week and were blown away from start to finish! The view alone is to die for and worth the stay, not to mention the impeccable service, accommodations, and FOOD! Oh the food! When I travel, I like to stay at small hotels like this one so I can get out and explore the culture and try other restaurants. We were able to do so, but we found ourselves as the week went on just wanting to stay in for the days and nights. We had 3 additional nights out planned which we canceled because nothing compared to the food and service at El Castillo. We felt like royalty all week and its clear they take pleasure in making us feel that way. They make it seem so effortless even though I know its far from it, and everything is so personalized. Like a friend serving you at their home! Typically I like to have an idea of the things I'd like to do ahead of time, but I tend to go with the flow and see what happens. Scott made planning so easy and effortless that we ended up planning each of our days ahead of time and were able to just relax while we were there. When we felt like laying by the pool instead of going zip lining, they happily rearranged everything. The Garza Island excursion is a MUST! We took a private boat ride to our very own deserted island, and as our chef and guide for the day served us fresh coconut and laid out white linens, my husband and I had tears in our eyes from pure joy. I don't like to go to the same place twice as I love to explore, but I will absolutely be back to El Castillo!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ljpeterson7
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

100% recomendad stay to chill out, has a wonderful view, confortables rooms. Doesn’t have front beach nether shuttles to the beach. For lunch the restaurant is not recommended to expensive and little amount of food. For diner 100% recommended.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I absolutely loved out stay at El Castillo. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. We were in suite number one which is beautiful, spacious with a stunning view. The property is beautifully maintained and decorated, the food was spectacular and the service is five star. Thank you gentleman for a beautiful time in Ojochal. We look forward to seeing you again, you were a highlight in our amazing trip!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2018

A fantastic view over the bay & peninsula, great, spacious & modern rooms (we had the honeymoon suite) with super bedding, overall the staff was very friendly. And it's a nice place to observe birdlife as you have a view from above on pelicans, frigatebirds, aras & co.

3 negatives :
- the property is pretty small, and it is noticeable : noise from neighbours, the deck around the swimming pool is too small, there are only 4 deckchairs, and one parasol !
- We were not impressed by the restaurant at all : a lot of fuss, culinary techniques are obviously mastered - but the associations of tastes just didn't work at all for either of us.
- Our room had just been finished when rented to us - however, there were still quite a few technical problems (no electricity (& aircon etc) for 2.5 days out of our 6 days ... (We did receive a compensation : one snack and one drink ...). Also, there was no spa (though advertised on the website if I remember well), they were still building it.

But what a view ...

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CedricJacquet
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

El Castillo was our last destination: It's a classy and intimate hotel, boasting great views and sunset.

Positive:
- Very warm welcome with cocktails and a breathtaking view from the beautiful open air lobby overlooking the infinity pool and the ocean beyond. (El Castillo is situated hillside so a 4WD is recommended)
- Two-bedroom apartment over the shed with a cozy living room, spacious white linen beds
- Staff: always very friendly and recommended us good local restaurants
- Gourmet dinner prepared by Chef Pablo in Castillo's Kitchen: beautiful table outdoors below the roof with ocean view next to hanging tea lights and the typical night sounds of Costa Rica. Very delicious food and exquisitely prepared.
- Feedback: deputy general manager was very eager to receive our feedback

Recommendations:
- Safe was locked accidentally and never unlocked again
- Key wasn't working one day and it took quite a while to get a spare one
- Bathroom: light is not really bright and toilet was constantly flushing from time to time (and therefore also smelling a bit)
- Windows: maybe put mosquito nets on a windows as all have small gaps
- Just one umbrella and not enough sunbeds for all guests
- WiFi didn't always work