All reviews false bay cape town stayed for one night wonderful place super breakfast her husband home away from home a nice place to stay friendly owners a great stay private balcony enjoyed our stay perfect hosts excellent view next morning thank you very much easy access
Reviewed 7 April 2011

My wife and I had an excellent stay with Rita and her team at 18 on Kloof in Gordon's Bay. We were looking for a small B&B outside of Capetown where we could relax and this fit the bill. Rita was there to great us a little after midnight after a late flight from Angola. The next morning we woke to the view of False Bay from our bed. Our room has to vie for one of the best bathroom views anywhere. We were served wonderful breakfasts and provided with all sorts of information on the sights of Capetown and the surrounding areas during the three nights we stayed there. Gordons Bay is close enough to easily get to Capetown, but far enough out to be restful. We were very pleased with our base out side Capetown.

Room tip: Ask for a room upstairs for the best views.
Date of stay: February 2011
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Enjoyed our stay but not very keen on the busy R44 on which it is situated. Beautiful views and attentive owner.

We were also unhappy that we had asked for a room with a shower in our original enquiry but we had a room with bath only. The owner did allow us to use a separate shower room on the landing nearby for part of our stay but not for the 6 days we were booked.
Unfortunately, my husband has difficulty with a bath and therefore this was very inconvenient for us. Double check your booking if this is a problem for you.
18 on Kloof is not for you if you have a problem with steps or stairs and I think prior warning would be advisable to future visitors as we would not have booked if we had known.

For the above reasons we would advise friends to confirm the above points before booking and also to be happy with steps and steep stairs. This is our reason for our reply to below.

Date of stay: February 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
18kloof, Owner at 18 On Kloof Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear Guest

I appreciate the time and effort you took to write your review. I kindly wish to comment on the points made:

In original enquiry made you have asked a quote on a Standard Double Room with shower, which I have then given – together with the names and descriptions of the rooms I have quoted on. You however replied that you had a look on the internet and see that the Lion and Leopard Rooms do not have private balconies and that you and your husband would prefer to have a room with a private balcony.

I then quoted again on the Deluxe Double Room with shower OR bath (Buffalo OR Elephant Rooms) and private balconies. You replied the following: Please will you book us a room with a balcony – the Elephant Room looks good – from 12/2 to 18/2 (and as you have looked at the rooms on the internet I would think that you were aware that the Elephant Room is the only room with a bath?)

I then proceeded to book the room you have requested and you have received a booking confirmation email with the details of the booking as well a full description of the room booked, which clearly stated: Accommodation booked Double Room with a/c and balcony/bath – allocated to Elephant Room. After payment of deposit has been done, you have received another form with booking confirmation which also stated “Double Room with a/c, balcony and bath”. If you had a proper look at one of the forms you would have seen that the room requested has a bath and if you had a problem with the bath in the bathroom, you should have requested to change the booking to the Buffalo Room. I have booked the Elephant Room after you specifically requested it and I have not changed the booking to another room after the booking has been made.

When you mentioned upon check-in that you actually would prefer a room with a shower, I offered the use of the shower opposite your room to you for 5 nights, but unfortunately the room was booked for the last night of your stay and you could therefore not use that shower for that one night. I could also not move you to the Buffalo Room with shower as it has been booked as well for some of the dates. I did not want to inconvenience you by moving you to another room for 2 nights and therefore I did not make the suggestion.

Regarding the steps or stairs mentioned, when looking at pictures of the property, you can clearly see that the building has 3 levels as it is built on the slope of the mountain – and you can think that there will be stairs as guest houses can unfortunately not install a “lift” – it is just not practical and too expensive. The stairs inside and outside are built according to building regulations and therefore normal regarding steepness and there are railings installed as well.

After your stay with us, a new balcony has been added for the Lion and Leopard Rooms and as they are on the 1st floor, there are therefore not as many stairs to climb if you book one of these rooms.

Reviewed 7 December 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here after reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor. It was really easy to find with plenty of parking and a short walk into the beautiful village on Gordons Bay. We walked back to the B&B one evening in the dark and felt quite safe. It is a bit of a steep hill back but only 5 minutes so useful if you go out for dinner/drinks. We were booked into the Lion Room which had a four poster bed and had the most beautiful views across the bay. We could not have asked for more in the room - everything you needed was there including a fridge, tea and coffee, bottled water and toiletries. Our room did not have a balcony but that didn't matter as there is a shared terrace but to honest there is so much to do around that you would not spend much time staying in!
Rita was incredibly helpful with suggestions of places to visit and restaurants to try within easy reach of the property. The location is perfect, being on the main road and within easy drive of Hermanus and the Winelands. The breakfast each morning was the best we had whilst on our trip with lots of choice and all home made.
We really wish that we had stayed here a bit longer as after 2 days we moved on to another area. Of the three properties we stayed in, this was without doubt the best in terms of hospitality, location and standards. We hope to return to the area as we loved it so much and if we do, we would definately stay here again and would recommend to our friends.

Date of stay: November 2010
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had an excellent stay at 18 on Kloof and Rita's hospitality was second to none. She provided us with trip options and recommendations and helped us on our way with a super breakfast and great cup of coffee.

The guest house is situated in Gordon's Bay which is a perfect venue if you intend exploring north towards Hermanus, west towards the areas of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek or south to Cape Point/CapeTown.
Every evening presents a fantastic display of colour as you are spoilt with a majestic sunset over the expanse of False Bay.

Breath taking.

Date of stay: September 2010
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Rita went out of her way to make the stay over as good as possilble. Nothing seemed like to much trouble. We were a diverse group of people, but all our needs were catered for.

Date of stay: June 2010